6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

P2291 and P00B7 codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 07:31 AM
HorsingAround
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P2291 and P00B7 codes

I just got my F350 6.4 2008 Ranch King. I had the oil and the fuel filters changed and the trany flushed. I was hauling a trailer up some hills and the Reduced Power light came on with limp home. I made it to my destination and was there for a few hours. The truck started and it did not give me the limp home message again but was lacking in power all of the way home. It went into Regen a few days after and seemed to act better. About a week later it went into Regen again and this time it went to reduced power and I noticed that my lights on my dash dimmed to almost nothing. and the wrench came on. I took it to have the codes read and they pulled a P2291 code and P00B7 code. The wrench light and Reduced Power light went off when I started it the next day. It does sound kind of ruff but this is my first diesel. It almost sounds like when the tappets are missing in a gas vehicle. Help !

Old 11-27-2014, 09:31 AM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by HorsingAround
I just got my F350 6.4 2008 Ranch King. I had the oil and the fuel filters changed and the trany flushed. I was hauling a trailer up some hills and the Reduced Power light came on with limp home. I made it to my destination and was there for a few hours. The truck started and it did not give me the limp home message again but was lacking in power all of the way home. It went into Regen a few days after and seemed to act better. About a week later it went into Regen again and this time it went to reduced power and I noticed that my lights on my dash dimmed to almost nothing. and the wrench came on. I took it to have the codes read and they pulled a P2291 code and P00B7 code. The wrench light and Reduced Power light went off when I started it the next day. It does sound kind of ruff but this is my first diesel. It almost sounds like when the tappets are missing in a gas vehicle. Help !
P2291 Injector Control Pressure Too Low - Engine Cranking

I am not sure about the other, I think its coolant related? Possible stuck thermostats?

Old 11-27-2014, 10:29 AM
HorsingAround
New User
Am I looking at a big repair How much do they charge to replace an ICP sensor? Ya the one is low coolant flow, I think I should look at where the coolant is. I had it serviced with the coolant would I get that code if they used the wrong coolant?

Old 11-27-2014, 01:32 PM
73fan
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The P00B7 is Engine Coolant Flow Low/Performance. Sounds like it could be low on coolant or water pump not functioning properly. How was your coolant temperatures while driving?

Old 11-27-2014, 05:38 PM
HorsingAround
New User
I got out to check the fluid and yes it is low. Tomorrow I will take the other truck to get some more coolant I am out. I just had it all flushed and filled and it must have worked it's way into the system I should have been keeping a better watch on it. It powered down after it did a regen that must have brought the temps up but I did not see it on my gauges. I better check the oil to see it is growing Is there a way of telling if there is coolant going into the oil?

Old 11-27-2014, 08:06 PM
73fan
Laughing Gas
If there's coolant coming into engine oil the oil will turn whitish of you run it. If you haven't run it, just drain a little oil and if there's coolant it will come out first, water being heavier than oil...

Not sure about the noise you're describing, but it doesn't sound good.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:18 AM
HorsingAround
New User
can you help me with that ICP sensor code is that a huge repair. I am pretty handy can I change the ICP sensor myself? I saw the thread on the 6.0 engine and it is way in the back under a ton of junk. wow. is the 6.4 any better. My husband bought me a book on the truck... but.. hum... it was the gas engine. lol

Old 11-28-2014, 10:25 AM
73fan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by HorsingAround
can you help me with that ICP sensor code is that a huge repair. I am pretty handy can I change the ICP sensor myself? I saw the thread on the 6.0 engine and it is way in the back under a ton of junk. wow. is the 6.4 any better. My husband bought me a book on the truck... but.. hum... it was the gas engine. lol
I would say the 6.4L is worse than the 6.0L. The 6.4L has it under passenger side valve cover. I have never removed that side valve cover with cab in place, but it can be done.

I'll attach a photo of placement for you. ICP is immediately behind the second (from front [left]) injector. Under the rail to injector fuel line. The green and blue wires plug into it...

Old 11-28-2014, 10:38 AM
73fan
Laughing Gas
And by the way, don't buy a Haynes manual for your truck; they're useless.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but if the problem was the ICP I think you'd be seeing a different code than the 2291. I'd expect a 2283, 84, 85, or 86. But then, I'm no expert.

So a little more info. The truck still starts and runs? If you can, I would clear the codes, start it up and check codes again.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:18 PM
HorsingAround
New User
I had the codes cleared and then I will test again Monday. I am adding coolant and then checking all of the fluids. Sunday I am taking it for a drive so that I can see if the codes show up again. I went and looked at that pan under the drivers side. Three blots to drop the pan. I also see some oil leakage from that spot. not a ton but enough to mess up my driveway.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:20 PM
HorsingAround
New User
Do you think that I should hook up the horse trailer too and see if I can aggravate it ?

Old 11-29-2014, 11:20 AM
73fan
Laughing Gas
I wouldn't bother with the trailer, unless you need to move it anyway. If the problem is still there it should show without the trailer.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:48 PM
HorsingAround
New User
I got some gold coolant and brought it to the bottom line knowing that the truck was cold and when it warms up I will need to check it again. I checked the transmission fluid and on the side it says cold it reads well, I checked the oil and it seemed a little high on the stick. I threw that manual away seeing that it wasn't for the right engine. I crawled under the truck and there seems to be oil from the drain pan. not a ton but maybe from them not putting the seals on when they changed the oil. does the drain pan on this truck have a seal? I am sorry I am really new with this truck. I wanted to drain the water out of the fuel filter and I heard that it was on the drivers side by the rail but not really sure what I am looking for. I am trying to find something on the web that will show me where it is and what it looks like. I found what I think is the ICP sensor. it has a plug and then goes into a cylinder type thing that has a bolt. it is pretty back in and I could take off this bracket but. I have small hands and I don't see it being a problem. I am taking it back to have the codes read on it again tomorrow. Hoping that clearing the codes did the trick. Is there anything more that I should look at as far as maintenance. I LUV my truck.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:53 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
In my experience with 6.4s thus far, repair your 00B7 code first. THAT is the code that is causing your engine de-rate (wrench light on, reduced power message). So far, replacing the thermostats have successfully repaired all 6.4s that came into my bay with that code set. While you are at it, you might as well change your upper and lower rad hoses too, to the updated double o-ring design that will greatly reduce the likelihood of coolant leaks from those areas too. Once that is repaired, then you can concentrate your efforts on repairing the P2291 code.