1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Looking to buy used Econoline, found a 99 E150 with 4.2L V6

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 02:22 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by shovenose
I know you're right and you have a point, but your minivan comment rubbed me the wrong way. We cool?
You take a snarky tone and get one in return---no we're not cool. Express yourself according to your feelings instead of accepting a suggestion and maybe then "we be cool".

The "minivan" suggestion wasn't meant as a slight, merely as an alternative to a beat up money pit that wouldn't give you the cost savings and/or utility I (mistakely?) thought you were seeking.

As you say this is your thread so have it all to yourself.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
what year did v6 start? i want to get a van but want it with the straight 6

Old 11-28-2014, 03:42 PM
shovenose
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skip1970
what year did v6 start? i want to get a van but want it with the straight 6
1997 they started the 4.2L V6 so you need 1996 or older for the inline 6

Old 11-28-2014, 04:40 PM
shovenose
Junior User
This guy's price is a bit high but it looks like if ECM is problem a used one is $75-125 on eBay depending on what engine it has.
Asked him for pics and plate.

1989 Ford E150 Van

edit: she thinks 4.9 I6 and sent me some pics waiting on plate...

talked to "her mechanic" he already tried fuel pump and filter did not fix issue.

thoughts?

Old 11-28-2014, 06:51 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ya know........

I don't like posts that start out with........I what to buy........

Then in your short (9 posts total so far) you've posted up what you want and what your intentions are, Fine, Some people whom have many more posts (and true life experiences) have given you their opinions, yet you kind of shunned them, or worst, Ain't cool with them. (Bet your a surfer dude from CA????)

So, in the holiday spirit..........I'll answer you lasted post -

If you have a mechanic in your rear pocket, then he should know this -

The problems the the Craigslist add detailed, is a problem that all mid '80's vans experienced, with the location of the coil on the engine, they would become "heat soaked" and shut down, relocating the coil would solve this problem.

Also, that van, with 210K on the clock.........I wouldn't touch it, even if it did a bread run every morning for the past 25 years, that age had the C6 tranny, with out over drive, I never had a '80's van with a 300 or 302 service over 160K, the engine was baked. And I changed out a few engines of that era. If they can prove of a re-man engine, and tranny, then it's a good deal.

So......what your budget is, and what your expecting to get, go hand in hand.

Just keep in mind, with the price of scrap way down now, that would still bring about $450 over the scales in scrap value.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:40 PM
shovenose
Junior User
Originally Posted by Wildman25
Ya know........

I don't like posts that start out with........I what to buy........

Then in your short (9 posts total so far) you've posted up what you want and what your intentions are, Fine, Some people whom have many more posts (and true life experiences) have given you their opinions, yet you kind of shunned them, or worst, Ain't cool with them. (Bet your a surfer dude from CA????)

So, in the holiday spirit..........I'll answer you lasted post -

If you have a mechanic in your rear pocket, then he should know this -

The problems the the Craigslist add detailed, is a problem that all mid '80's vans experienced, with the location of the coil on the engine, they would become "heat soaked" and shut down, relocating the coil would solve this problem.

Also, that van, with 210K on the clock.........I wouldn't touch it, even if it did a bread run every morning for the past 25 years, that age had the C6 tranny, with out over drive, I never had a '80's van with a 300 or 302 service over 160K, the engine was baked. And I changed out a few engines of that era. If they can prove of a re-man engine, and tranny, then it's a good deal.

So......what your budget is, and what your expecting to get, go hand in hand.

Just keep in mind, with the price of scrap way down now, that would still bring about $450 over the scales in scrap value.
hi there, and thanks for your input!
I don't surf, not sure how you came to that conclusion. I don't even like the beach, all that damn sand

Based on these concerns I would pay ~$1500 for the van. I think $1800 is high given the issues.

I certainly share the concern about high mileage but I just don't have the budget right now to buy something better and I need the van yesterday... if you know what I mean.

Happy holidays to you as well!

Old 11-28-2014, 07:51 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Then go for it.

I don't think your going to find any thing else in your price range at will beat that, and what I posted might solve the problem that there having with it now. And might work to your advantage on beating down the asking price?

It's been said............if someone is having problems, then it's up for sale, to pass the problems along to the New Owner.

If you needed it yesterday, then you just need to decide if it will work for what your doing, and go with it.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:53 PM
shovenose
Junior User
Then go for it.

I don't think your going to find any thing else in your price range at will beat that, and what I posted might solve the problem that there having with it now. And might work to your advantage on beating down the asking price?

If you needed it yesterday, then you just need to decide if it will work for what your doing, and go with it.
Go for it because you don't want to deal with me or go for it because it is genuinely a decent price. You think $1500 is fair for both buyer and seller or should I go for $1000-1400?

Would this part be the part that needs to be replaced and/or relocated?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-BRONCO-...182129&vxp=mtr

Old 11-28-2014, 08:01 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Go for it for the price, and your budget.

And yes, I would check it out, the seller is somewhat honest coming forth with a know problem, and might want to just "dump" it quick and move on.

And I would offer $1200, and work from there, to a max price in mind.

If it does have new tires, and good tires, then there is some value there.

But, with the high mileage, and shutting down problem, that a good tire kicker to work the price down from the asking.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:03 PM
shovenose
Junior User
Go for it for the price, and your budget.

And yes, I would check it out, the seller is somewhat honest coming forth with a know problem, and might want to just "dump" it quick and move on.

And I would offer $1200, and work from there, to a max price in mind.

If it does have new tires, and good tires, then there is some value there.

But, with the high mileage, and shutting down problem, that a good tire kicker to work the price down from the asking.
Just what I was hoping to hear! Bummer I have a broken down truck (98 chevy, worst thing I've ever owned granted that was my first vehicle so my sample size is small) i wish the tires and battery were same because theyre in good condition and brand new respectively

Will report back on findings when I look at it and hopefully drive home with a new (old) vehicle this weekend!

Old 11-28-2014, 10:28 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I would probably bet that your Chevy, if you know it, could be a better investment than a Ford van that is 9 years older. It sounds to me like you are digging yourself into a big hole and I'm not surprised you are very new to vehicle ownership. As I said, I have bought and sorted out about 40 used vehicles since 1970. When I was 18 years old in 1970 I was MUCH smarter than I am now at 62.

The Cash for Clunkers program thinned out the low priced used car market a few years ago and as I said, I think your plan to find a "dependable" used van for $1500 or less will probably teach you some life lessons that I had to learn the hard way.

If you don't need the van daily, you might well be better off renting a van 1 day per week if you can make that happen, while you save for a good used van. If you have customers that will see what you're driving, a POS "child molester van" does not make for a good impression when you are delivering computers that a business lives or dies by.

There is nobody on this forum that will recognize the magic Unicorn van you are looking for from a Craig's list ad. Do you know what it costs to redo all the brakes on a van, to rebuild the trans or engine? How about doing all new front suspension parts and shocks? Do you want AC? You won't get working AC at your price unless you really find the Unicorn under a pile of fairy dust.

Are you able to find a nice rental apartment in San Francisco for $300 per month? How about a good $2 steak dinner?

After my real life experience sorting out junk vehicles, I don't have the stomach to even look at bottom feeders. My son is looking for a $5k used vehicle right now and I perceive that as a minimum price for something decent. And he will still have to be wary and lucky.

I sincerely wish you good luck, and you will need a LOT of good luck.

George

Old 11-28-2014, 11:16 PM
shovenose
Junior User
I'd rather provide WiFi than candy.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:37 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
id never pay over 1400 for any van.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:10 AM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
YoGeorge makes some valid points in his 'short' reply

Like I first said, there are many of us on this forum that have 'been there, done that'

Totally understand the OP intentions, but like I said, some "been around'ers" tried to make points, and the some got negative, un-cool, reply's........

My current ride........ah, er, work van, bought 2 years ago, paid $1200 for it, had 104K on it, for a '92, that's very low mileage, and when I went to pick it up, I had to repair a front brake line to drive it back. All part of the deal, ya know.

So, besides the rebuilding the front end, ball joints, tie rod ends, shocks on all four corners, new tires (x6) new radio, new seats, and many other "little" parts, this year was the tranny replacement, and in October, engine replacement.

Bottom line, I put over $4K in it, but still a value for what I have, and need for my work. And, no monthly coupon book

But, I have a shop, tools and experience to do my own work, if this went to a "real" shop, double what I put into it, moral.........Great value vehicles Need additional repairs.......bottom line. We buy them at a low price, and do the work to make them reliable, for us whom can.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:31 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
I'm exceptionally proud and honored to be on a forum where most make an honest attempt to direct someone in a good direction. Experience with most matters time and time again proves far more valuable than impulsive "well I thought this would work......" idealism not born of seasoned experience.

I love Wildman's "been arounder's..." as a new term---we're often call too old, stodgy, stuck in our ways yada yada yada yet just as often we know what NOT to do.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy used Econoline, found a 99 E150 with 4.2L V6