1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Looking to buy used Econoline, found a 99 E150 with 4.2L V6

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 02:10 AM
shovenose
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy used Econoline, found a 99 E150 with 4.2L V6

Has 220K miles, automatic.
Anything special to look for or any reason to really avoid this one?
I read some issues with gaskets that were until 1998 so it's all good?
It's $1300.
Thanks,
Michael!

Old 11-27-2014, 03:22 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
i didnt know there was a v6 in the vans! yuk, did they get rid of that good ol straight 6?

Old 11-27-2014, 06:00 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
Without any idea what you'd use this van for this is almost an impossible question.

For me I'd avoid an E150 with that puny motor like Eubola, in fact you probably couldn't give me one.

That aside what's your intended use? What's your level of mechanical experience regarding ability to diagnose and repair something now or in the future?

Old 11-27-2014, 07:39 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I had a 2003 E250 V6 with about the same mileage. I can offer a few pointers from my experience. I do NOT know the specific differences between the E250 and your E150 (wheels, tires, brakes, suspension, transmission, rear axle ...?)

- fuel economy is about the same as a V8, but with less power. Bummer. However it is easier on fuel if you idle a lot (like I do/did).

- the lack of torque is preposterous, but if you're a grandma-driver you won't mind. Highway speeds and hills are serious bummers also. So if you're a grandma-driver that stays under 65mph and stay away from hills; you'll be ok. I have thought about having a V6 van with low rear gears in a situation where I am always in town and never exceed 45-50mph. That would be good. But my work route has me 2hrs minimum highway and 2-3hours city and some idling. (My V10 satisfies nicely. 12.5 to 13.5mpg overall)

- it is capable of hard work: I pulled a 5,000lb trailer occasionally. It's working hard, but successfully.

- I had an issue with a small exhaust leak that I couldn't figure out. I changed the exhaust manifold gaskets (and a few broken studs), had a small crack welded (on the Y pipe) ... and the noise never went away. I noticed that one bank had the gasket leaking, the broken stud, and the catalytic converter(s) was internally empty. All on passenger side. Never got it fixed; but after I sold it I learned that these engines have a bit of reputation for burning valves. Hindsight has me thinking mine did probably have a burnt valve, which caused the exhaust gasket and studs and catalytic converter to fail. That's my theory. I drove that van about 60,000 miles with that (hypothetical) bad valve though.

- isolator bolts and intake gaskets were another big project for me, and apparently common for the V6. (See my other post for this).

- lastly the HVAC control vacuum failure that is common to all (?) E-vans from the last 20years.

All these negatives are precautionary, and the positives outweigh them.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything with 220,000 miles (no matter the price), especially if it's anywhere near the Rust Belt (sorry JWA and YoGeorge).

Last edited by Im50fast; 11-27-2014 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Forgot two points
Old 11-27-2014, 11:35 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I would certainly look closely at body condition as far as rust goes, but really don't like the 4.2. I believe that this engine had intake manifold and front cover(?) gasket issues well beyond 1998, with the intake manifold gaskets possibly leaking and hydrdolocking the engine. Our good friend WVVan hydrolocked his 4.2 after putting a million hours into his camper conversion (the thread with 250k hits or something).

IM50fast also describes the performance well. I drove a 4.2 when buying my 4.6 van in 2003, and was truly disappointed with its performance in a big van. Ford killed availability of the 4.2 (which was really a loss leader fleet engine) in the van circa 2003 because it simply did not work well. Worse gas mileage and performance than the 4.6.

The price is good, but I would be looking over my shoulder for intake manifold gasket leaks...

Good luck,
George

Old 11-27-2014, 02:37 PM
shovenose
Junior User
Thanks for your responses guys!
Real quick here is the link for the one this thread is about so far:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4764204897.html

I was also looking at a 1985 E-150 with the 5.0L V8 for $1250 which I'd seriously consider even though it is quite old and has unknown miles. It does look decent externally and as you are all saying a small V6 in a big van just doesn't seem like a great idea... especially one that doesn't have a reputation for reliability. So the V8 in that would be nice and I don't think mpg's will be all that much worse. For some reason I've always liked how those older body style Ford E series vans look.
1985 Ford E-150 5.0ltr V8 cargo van

Only problem is that guy won't return my email and phone call. Dunno how he intends to sell the van that way, but there's nothing I can do about that! Would love to at least look at that one though.
Do you think the 5.0L V8 is significantly better than the 4.2L V6?

Anyway enough ranting as you might notice by the craigslist links I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area so IDK if rust is such a big deal. And after your responses I'm very much reconsidering even looking at the V6-powered ford vans.

And for what it's worth I do/will be doing IT work so I won't be hauling very heavy things just a lot of stuff (cables, tools, servers, computers, etc.) so while some of it does get a bit heavy (rackmount battery backup units are not exactly feather weight) I will not be pulling a trailer/towing often.

I'm willing to learn and have a friend who can help for some mechanical stuff I can't handle but I need something that will get me on the road in the coming weeks and doesn't need an engine rebuild or thousands of dollars of work right away. I am definitely better with computers and networks than engines and transmissions!

Wow, sorry for the long post!

Old 11-27-2014, 09:40 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Don't be sorry at all for long posts...I write them because it takes too much time to make them shorter.

The '85 is getting pretty prehistoric. Does it have airbags? I forget if that year would have been carbureted, throttle body injected, or port injected(?) Looking at the low back front seats gives me thoughts of whiplash...

Parts should not be impossible to find as the drivetrain would have been used in millions of pickups and cars. Cooling system and brake cylinders could be rotted from time spent sitting as could all rubber parts.

If you are shopping for any vehicle close to a grand, my gut says there will be problems. Seems like around Detroit it's about 3-4 grand or more for any kind of reliable running vehicle that does not need some kind of major service...especially a work vehicle like a van or pickup that a tradesman would use.

Even the 4.2 van really is cheap in terms of purchase price and you might get some service out of it. But the ad says the front end shakes at 45-50 so I'm guessing you're gonna need some front end parts for sure.

Good luck; you really are turning up some bottom-feeder prices and repairs are expensive these days.

George

Old 11-27-2014, 09:49 PM
shovenose
Junior User
Let's say I aim to replace the van with a newer one (PSD hopefully) in 2016 or 2017... Do you think I could get this service life out of either of them? If so, which one would last me longer?

I like the look of the old one better and I would prefer a V8 but you know more than I do Of course on something from 1985 it's getting on in age and I assume it will need non-drivetrain parts replaced more frequently, while I'd be concerned that the 4.2 V6 based newer van might need an engine replaced much sooner than on the older van. I'm sure the newer one is safer, but people have been driving old cars/trucks/vans for years and are still alive so I'm not going to worry too much about that. It's safer to drive than I currently walk to work in a bad part of the city I work in so it will be an improvement in safety either way.

Does that conclusion make any sense at all or am I just trying to avoid a V6 because I don't want something as pathetic as my mom's car going up hill?

Happy thanksgiving and appreciate the help!

Old 11-27-2014, 09:58 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
It all depends completely on the specific vehicle and you should make all efforts to have a mechanic go over the whole vehicle if you get serious.

If you own an old beater vehicle that has been with you for years, you would have an idea of whether it might last you a year. If you buy an unfamiliar beater vehicle for a very low price, you may spend 3 months and a thousand or two sorting it out....or not. I have bought probably 40 used vehicles since I started driving in 1970 and have had some real adventures chasing down problems especially in the cheapies. If you buy an oldie from a friend or family member, that is a better position to be in.

Again, reliable old trucks bring a premium as they can be used to put food on people's tables...carpenters, plumbers, etc etc...

So I can't tell you what a year with either van you propose is gonna be like any more than I could tell you whether a woman you just met on match.com is gonna be worth marrying

Happy Thanksgiving,
George

ps you do have hills...I remember my ex and I were in San Francisco visiting her brother in 1976 and I had a rented Chevette with an automatic...didn't go up hills very well at all. I do think you want a V8 but you mostly want a van that won't be a money pit and gigantic headache. You also need some really good brakes for those hills.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:26 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Do I gather correctly the initial purchase price is the most important issue determining your eventual purchase?

Old 11-28-2014, 10:08 AM
shovenose
Junior User
Originally Posted by JWA
Do I gather correctly the initial purchase price is the most important issue determining your eventual purchase?
Indeed that is a very important factor.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:38 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
For that dollars I believe you're looking to spend anything you buy will be a POS and/or require a lot of work getting it into dependable daily driver condition.

The list of what to check for is immense but honestly any vehicle advertised as already having issues has just the tip of the iceberg showing---YoGeorge already mentioned this.

With your time line for readiness the current plan of attack to buy cheap and fix it up over time won't give you the vehicle you need. I would bet there are a good number of the Club Wagon vans out there, mid to later 80's that might be good values in money spent vs vehicle received. Many of those were gently used but like any other used vehicle its buyer beware.

While its great you have a friend mechanically inclined sad to say that might be fraught with delays in effecting repairs---I'm sure he too has a life, not necessarily being available at those times he'd be most needed. Realistically its extremely difficult to work on something coincidentally to using it. Some repairs began without knowledge or the proper tools to finish will render the work-in-progress out of service which defeats your original goal.

As far as the PSD in a few years---diesels are a whole other world so once again the issue of knowledge and tools to repair them comes up. Maybe look into a Honda Odyssey or something similar.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:20 PM
shovenose
Junior User
Let's just assume the last sentence of your post never happened, ok? This is a Ford Truck forum not a Honda Odyssey or Toyota sienna forum. If I wanted that those forums surely exist

Down the road when I get the PSD I wouldn't be fixing it myself it would get taken to a shop. If I can afford a $12k truck I can afford to get it professionally fixed. Would be looking at like an 09-10 so it wouldn't be some old piece of **** either...

I don't see how any of that is relevant at this moment in time. I need to buy a van under $1500 in the coming weeks and will continue with to posts ones here that I find for suggestions.

Thank you for your feedback however.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:16 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by shovenose
Let's just assume the last sentence of your post never happened, ok? This is a Ford Truck forum not a Honda Odyssey or Toyota sienna forum. If I wanted that those forums surely exist

I don't see how any of that is relevant at this moment in time. I need to buy a van under $1500 in the coming weeks and will continue with to posts ones here that I find for suggestions.
We'll do no such thing as in pretend my sentences weren't posted with good reason. As such they're completely relevant now and in the future as well.

You're looking for something suitable for hauling light weight IT gear around, not ready to spend adequate money presently to acquire something not in all likelihood needing numerous repairs.

My comments were added because purchase price along with reliability yet without additional costly repairs seem to be your concerns. Its foolish hoping $1200-1300 can secure such a thing, again based upon my experience with vehicles costing those amounts.

Do as you like here or elsewhere---the results of your actions affects only you. Choosing to ignore or dismiss my input is another choice you have and of little consequence even though it was offered in a helpful manner.

Best of luck---by all means keep us up-to-date on this fascinating journey!

Old 11-28-2014, 02:17 PM
shovenose
Junior User
I know you're right and you have a point, but your minivan comment rubbed me the wrong way. We cool?

Quick Reply: Looking to buy used Econoline, found a 99 E150 with 4.2L V6