Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight switch question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 08:04 PM
GreenMachinee
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight switch question

How many pulls on the headlight **** for regular driving lights? I think i have been driving with my brights on for a few months sense ive had my truck. I pull once for my side markers and dash lights, i pull again and nothing happens then again which i believe are the brights (when the Blue headlight insignia pops up.) I mean they arent to bright at this point but i could see how they could be my "brights"

Thoughts?

Old 11-26-2014, 08:57 PM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a switch on the floor behind the emergency brake. Just step on it to switch between high and low beams.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:03 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My switch acted like that just before it went up in smoke. Change it NOW or you may need a plug and some new harness, too. I know you new about the dimmer on the floor, right?

Old 11-26-2014, 09:26 PM
GreenMachinee
Senior User
Originally Posted by f100beatertruck
There's a switch on the floor behind the emergency brake. Just step on it to switch between high and low beams.
Originally Posted by eakermeld
My switch acted like that just before it went up in smoke. Change it NOW or you may need a plug and some new harness, too. I know you new about the dimmer on the floor, right?

Sadly i must admit, I did not know about the dimmer on the floor. I have noticed it and wondered what its function was. I guess thats the last place i would expect it to be. Thanks!

What do you mean right before it went up in smoke??

Old 11-26-2014, 09:41 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
You could turn on the parking lights easy but had to "hunt" for the headlights by pushing it in and out. It felt as if there was a third position that actually wasn't there. One day I pulled it on and POOF! It had shorted internally from poor connections and melted the connector plug and a little wiring. Those things are a little bit of a pain to change when things are normal and worse when the plug is fubar! A trip to the JY for a plug wit some extra wire, a new parts house switch,a few soldered connections and shrink tube, some skinned fingers and colorful language and I was back in business. Do yours BEFORE the smoke and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:54 PM
GreenMachinee
Senior User
You could turn on the parking lights easy but had to "hunt" for the headlights by pushing it in and out. It felt as if there was a third position that actually wasn't there. One day I pulled it on and POOF! It had shorted internally from poor connections and melted the connector plug and a little wiring. Those things are a little bit of a pain to change when things are normal and worse when the plug is fubar! A trip to the JY for a plug wit some extra wire, a new parts house switch,a few soldered connections and shrink tube, some skinned fingers and colorful language and I was back in business. Do yours BEFORE the smoke and save yourself a lot of trouble.
Yeah i definetly will look into it! thanks that should save me a lot of headacke.

While you guys are here i have another question. Im looking to get keyless entry. Found some cheap ones on amazon that come with the actuators and everything needed for a DIY. Before i go through with it im wondering if it will work with my passenger door whos power door lock does not work for whatever reason. The key is also veryyyy hard to turn. I even feel like sometimes the key is going to break when im turning it. Ill break my thump if i try pushing down the **** on the inside. Your thoughts would be much appreciated!
Amazon.com : CrimeStopper SP-101 Car Security Alarm & Keyless Entry System with (4) Car Power Door Lock Actuator Motors : Car Electronics Amazon.com : CrimeStopper SP-101 Car Security Alarm & Keyless Entry System with (4) Car Power Door Lock Actuator Motors : Car Electronics

Old 11-26-2014, 09:55 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMachinee
Sadly i must admit, I did not know about the dimmer on the floor. I have noticed it and wondered what its function was. I guess thats the last place i would expect it to be. Thanks!

What do you mean right before it went up in smoke??
Not too old are you ...? Fun when the switch goes out on a back road while going a bit fast ... Fumble with the dimmer hoping to get some lights while you try to stop in a curve . Ah yes ,, the good old days . Now your brakes fail after your lights go out and as you hit something the airbag sends a piece of smoking hot metal through your eyeball .

Old 11-26-2014, 09:58 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Start a new thread on that topic both here and over in electrical after you do a search on it. Plenty of help out there on that stuff, but sadly none from me!

Old 11-26-2014, 10:00 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JWC 3
Not too old are you ...? Fun when the switch goes out on a back road while going a bit fast ... Fumble with the dimmer hoping to get some lights while you try to stop in a curve . Ah yes ,, the good old days . Now your brakes fail after your lights go out and as you hit something the airbag sends a piece of smoking hot metal through your eyeball .
Dude, you drive like my wife!

Old 11-26-2014, 10:10 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Dude, you drive like my wife!
Now that there is funny ! Does she drive a KZ1100 that has been tuned also ? Well that has been a bit....

Old 11-26-2014, 10:26 PM
GreenMachinee
Senior User
No i wouldnt say im old haha. I am 22.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:38 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So you've not experienced the joy of going around a curve on a dark country road, high beams on, double clutching a recalcitrant gearbox to downshift a gear, and at the same time trying to figure out how to hit the dimmer switch on the floor to keep from blinding the oncoming driver. Fun times.

Get off my lawn you young whipper snapper.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:38 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Best of luck . I have a son your age ... Guys here will give you some good advice .

Old 11-26-2014, 10:50 PM
GreenMachinee
Senior User
Originally Posted by Island Time
So you've not experienced the joy of going around a curve on a dark country road, high beams on, double clutching a recalcitrant gearbox to downshift a gear, and at the same time trying to figure out how to hit the dimmer switch on the floor to keep from blinding the oncoming driver. Fun times.

Get off my lawn you young whipper snapper.
Still reliving the good ol days are we? No i do not have that experience nor do i want to from the sounds of it. Thanks for the insight though!

Old 11-26-2014, 10:52 PM
GreenMachinee
Senior User
Best of luck . I have a son your age ... Guys here will give you some good advice .
Thanks i posted in Electrical and started a new thread here. Yeah a lot of people have already helped me alot sense i joined in september. Got a lot of things done on her but have a long way to go, Between my truck and my ten month old daughter i am BROKE! haha

Quick Reply: Headlight switch question