1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How Do You Secure Your Garage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 04:57 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How Do You Secure Your Garage?

How do you keep your Ford safe? I am considering buying and installing a home security system. There are two that seem very reasonable and easy to install. One is called Livewatch and the other is Simplisafe. Both cost around $250 for the equipment and are about $20-$25 a month for monitoring. You can pay extra for fire, flood and freeze monitoring. Has anybody tried either one of these and are willing to make a recommendation? if not, any other systems that you care to advocate for?

Thanks, Jag

Old 11-26-2014, 05:22 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
First off, my Truck garage is detached. Bars across the windows (inside); a reinforced lockplate in the jamb with 4" screws into the framing; and a quality Schlage stainless steel commercial deadbolt on the man-door. I manually slide the locks on the garage doors when I'm out of town. On the house, I use keyed-both-sides deadbolts on all doors (same Schlage commercial w/heavy lockplates).

For security systems, check the threads on the Garage Journal, some of the pro's (security guys, not thieves) had some very insightful comments. For instance:
Garage security system - The Garage Journal Board

Home Security Systems - The Garage Journal Board

Old 11-26-2014, 05:26 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Similar to Ross, I have a bar across the man door, padlocked from the inside. All the bay doors, in addition to the standard locks, have pad locks on the door tracks. The only way into the garage is through the house. They'd have to break out of the garage to get out.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:49 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A big dog !

Old 11-26-2014, 05:57 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
Old 11-26-2014, 06:03 PM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
I use two big German Shepards and have nosey neighbors and a video system/dvr so I don't worry about it too much.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:15 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
For those with attached garage and electronic door opener beware thieves and burglars can gain access in just a few seconds with a coat hanger. Here's a YT video with strategies to combat this:

Old 11-26-2014, 06:17 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
I live in the sticks , but a few robberies as of late around me . I have a few large dogs positioned around my house and buildings . I also wear a sidearm . I have a reputation for answering the door while holding a 357 . I recently greeted an officer while wearing my boxers and holding a 12 gauge . He was calm while asking if I had seen a suspect . He even made a good comment about my gun . I don't cotton to thieves ...

Old 11-26-2014, 06:34 PM
larryb346
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Keep in mind they break out of Leavenworth Penitentiary. If they want in your house or garage they will get in. My shop is 300 feet from my house.
The best idea is to make it easier for them to go somewhere else to steal stuff. I live in the sticks and have several things I use. The biggy for me when I am home is a intercom. I have one in the shop I keep on "talk" and one in the house I keep on "Listen". I can hear everything going on in my shop. There are trees around the shop and I can hear acorns hitting the roof when the wind blows. I also have a video security system hooked into my shop computer. The program is motion started and soon as it detects motion it turns on a couple of web cams and starts to live broadcast to my cell and to my cloud storage account. I also have dvd video surveillance system that starts recording when it detects motion and stores the images on the master unit as well as uploading them to a different cloud account. This one does it using a cell phone tower. I use that method in case someone would cut my phone line, and use a battery backup in case they kill the power.
Well armed is the other thing I rely on when i am home.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:40 PM
BradsF1
Junior User
I once made a tweeker crap his pants. The sheriff's department still isn't over it and remarks about how bad the tweeker and the cop car smelled. Have never had a problem since. I think the word is out.

Your mileage may vary.

Brad

Old 11-26-2014, 06:49 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BradsF1
I once made a tweeker crap his pants. The sheriff's department still isn't over it and remarks about how bad the tweeker and the cop car smelled. Have never had a problem since. I think the word is out.

Your mileage may vary.

Brad
Yes the idiots around here get the word about " bad " targets . Only have to worry about strays ... out of area idiots . They get this far out .. they are in trouble !

Old 11-26-2014, 07:10 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
For those with attached garage and electronic door opener beware thieves and burglars can gain access in just a few seconds with a coat hanger. Here's a YT video with strategies to combat this:
I got a new garage door opener two years ago (a Genie), and they have changed the design of the manual release so you can't do that.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:17 PM
Sportster.Mark
Senior User
Originally Posted by BradsF1

Your mileage may vary.

Brad
When I lived in Philly I once chased a crackhead who broke in my back window out the door and down the block with a 7' Viking double bladed battle axe that a friend made for me. It was an early Monday morning and he woke me up when be broke in, so I chased him out in my birthday suit. Not only did I never have a problem again, when I would get home late and stop in the late-night Chinese take-out down the block everyone would move aside for me to go ahead and order. Inner-city hoodlums fear an axe far more than a gun.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:31 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
My garage is always unlocked and the keys are in every vehicle I own. I have told all of my neighbors that if I have something that you need, and I'm not using it , I will give it to you. If I catch you stealing from me I will shoot you. Most agreed that is the way to be, others looked at me like I was crazy, they may be right.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:39 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Skalywag
My garage is always unlocked and the keys are in every vehicle I own. I have told all of my neighbors that if I have something that you need, and I'm not using it , I will give it to you. If I catch you stealing from me I will shoot you. Most agreed that is the way to be, others looked at me like I was crazy, they may be right.
I will give a man in need the shirt off my back . A thief deserves a shot of lead !

Quick Reply: How Do You Secure Your Garage?