Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Gas tank won't fill up all the way HELP PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 11:49 PM
lindstromjd
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmuenchow
Would it be easier for me to do option 2 first rather option 1? I'm going to do the fuel hose bypass/rig within the next week. Will that fix my problem?
It takes some trial and error to get the fuel line at the right depth. The easy way of doing it is to make the clamp just loose enough for the hose to still be able to slide, and then put the hose down lower than you think it needs to go. It should give you a little resistance when you put the sending unit back into the tank. Then pull it back out, tighten the clamp, and you should be good to go. The showerheads just push on to the metal tube and that's it. Easier is a matter of opinion.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:35 AM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lindstromjd
It takes some trial and error to get the fuel line at the right depth. The easy way of doing it is to make the clamp just loose enough for the hose to still be able to slide, and then put the hose down lower than you think it needs to go. It should give you a little resistance when you put the sending unit back into the tank. Then pull it back out, tighten the clamp, and you should be good to go. The showerheads just push on to the metal tube and that's it. Easier is a matter of opinion.
Okay so basically the shower head route would be a little bit more money, but easier (in a way) while the fuel hose may be less money but more trial and error? I plan on doing the fuel hose option first and if my problem still remains I guess I will have to go the shower head route.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:28 AM
lindstromjd
Elder User
Okay so basically the shower head route would be a little bit more money, but easier (in a way) while the fuel hose may be less money but more trial and error? I plan on doing the fuel hose option first and if my problem still remains I guess I will have to go the shower head route.
Yeah. The showerheads will run you $20 a piece, where the rubber hose will run you $5.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:45 AM
_Clayton_
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those little pieces of the broken showerhead will get sucked up once you extend the pickup, Try to get as much of it out of them as you can, Some of the pieces may be larger. When I fixed my pickups the tiny pieces stopped up my lift pump, I recommend you add clear 3/8 prefilters to each tank and keep an eye on them for a while.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:18 PM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Originally Posted by _Clayton_
Those little pieces of the broken showerhead will get sucked up once you extend the pickup, Try to get as much of it out of them as you can, Some of the pieces may be larger. When I fixed my pickups the tiny pieces stopped up my lift pump, I recommend you add clear 3/8 prefilters to each tank and keep an eye on them for a while.
I plan to siphon all of the gas out of the tanks and then shoot a shop vac down in there and get as much of the crud out of them as possible.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:05 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know how safe a shop vac and gas fumes is going to be.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:47 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Chevy_Eater
Some extra info to add to this. The Cone of Failure is 3.5" in length. That includes the top part that the sending unit tube fits into, approx 1".

I got this one from Amazon also.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:42 AM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Oh, and I recommend pulling the bed off instead of dropping the tanks. It's a lot less work that way.
If you recommend pulling the bed how do you recommend I take out all of the broken pieces of the old shower heads?

Old 12-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Forddiesel17
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X2 on pulling the bed. It is so much easier to work on the tanks then dropping them from below. To answer your question above. You just take the sending unit out as reach in to get all of the shower head pieces.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:34 PM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Forddiesel17
X2 on pulling the bed. It is so much easier to work on the tanks then dropping them from below. To answer your question above. You just take the sending unit out as reach in to get all of the shower head pieces.
Okay so my arm will fit in there and I will be able to just pick them up with my hand?

Old 12-01-2014, 07:35 PM
lindstromjd
Elder User
Okay so my arm will fit in there and I will be able to just pick them up with my hand?
It would be no different than if you dropped the tank. It will just be much easier on you as far as fighting super tight spaces and save you a lot of time. Pull the bed and you can do both tanks at once.

So however you had planned on cleaning out the old pieces of the showerhead by dropping the tanks, it can be done either way.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:24 AM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
It would be no different than if you dropped the tank. It will just be much easier on you as far as fighting super tight spaces and save you a lot of time. Pull the bed and you can do both tanks at once.

So however you had planned on cleaning out the old pieces of the showerhead by dropping the tanks, it can be done either way.
Got ya. Pulling the bed off tomorrow and doing this repair and (hopefully) have my problem solved and be able to use the entire gas tank from now on!