E4OD Hard Shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 06:13 AM
54 Oldsman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question E4OD Hard Shifts?

I've seached the old posts and didn't find any posts that addressed the exact problem i'm having. Out of the blue the other day the tranny starts shifting later in then rpm range than it ever has and the shifts are harsh especially from 1st to 2nd. it has always been so smooth shifting that you can't hardly feel it shift. the kicker is, i get out of work this morning and it's back to shifting good again the way it did before. ???????????????? the fluid is full and seams a little old but not burnt. the truck has 106,000 miles on it but, i have no way of knowing if it's been rebuilt or replaced because i bought it 6 months ago.
1995 F250HD 351 E4OD 4X4 OD Lockout on the shifter.

Old 07-18-2003, 09:11 AM
z 97ford1
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E4OD Hard Shifts?

Well, I would flush the system at least and add new fluid.....why take a chance?

Old 07-18-2003, 10:55 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E4OD Hard Shifts?

Particles floating around in old fluid will cause intermittent harsh shifting. Sometimes it shifts normal, next day it bang shifts. A fluid change at least is in order and might fix your problem. If you have torque shudder, then that may be a symptom that other things are going wrong and you may be due for a rebuild.

Drop the pan and check for particles etc. If it is relatively clean, I would do a fluid change, including the torque convert and the cooler if you know how. And then how it works. Fair odds the problem will be gone. If not all you wasted was some ATF.

With as many miles as you have and if I was planning to keep the truck a long time, I would probably go with a rebuild especially if the fluid smelled burnt or there were lots of particles.

Jim Henderson

Old 07-18-2003, 12:01 PM
54 Oldsman
Senior User
E4OD Hard Shifts?

i've not experienced any "shudder" to date and my mechanic will be doing a complete fluid and filter change including the torque convertor as soon as possible. hopefully i can get a few more miles out of her. thanx!

Old 07-19-2003, 06:52 AM
Ponyracer
Posting Guru
E4OD Hard Shifts?

You can check the MLP/TR sensor(transmission lever position sensor), on the driver side of the trans, wiring connector for moisture inside that could cause a short or bad connection. I hace seen hundreds have this trouble and it can cause all sorts of weird transmission concerns that can be intermittent. Make sure and look into the sensor also for moisture. If you find any, replace the sensor and make sure to use some Dielectric grease in the new connection.

Also, the 351/E4OD combination is very suseptable to fuel pressure. You might replace the fuel filter also. That happened to mine. I bought it from the dealership that I worked at. At first they thought the trans and engine were toast, so I test drove it and realized the trouble, made them an offer that they took, drove it into my bay and replace the fuel filter which was plugger and performed a trans service and found that the trans filter had dropped down and air was getting past the filter O-ring. test drove my new-to-me truck and all was well. Chaulk up won for the techs.

Techs 1
Sales staff 0

Last edited by Ponyracer; 07-19-2003 at 07:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-19-2003, 03:39 PM
54 Oldsman
Senior User
E4OD Hard Shifts?

thanx ponyracer,
my mechanic had me unplug the MLP/TR and blow it out with compressed air and then put a good amount of dielectric grease in it. at first it didn't work but, the next day when i drove it the shifting problem was gone. could the electronics in the "brain" have taken a couple restarts to reset itself? will be changing the fuel filter and completly servicing the tranny this thursday. will advise after. thanx again!

Old 07-20-2003, 11:16 AM
Ponyracer
Posting Guru
E4OD Hard Shifts?

Your welcome 54 oldsman!
You should consider replacing the sensor though because the damage has been done and just blowing out the moisture is just a temporary fix. Also, the sensor may have been updated by Ford for your year of truck. If the connector is a "D" shape then there is an update, if it has an oval shape it just needs replaced. If it needs updated, there is also a new wiring connector kit that goes with the sensor.
I am assuming that there was moisture found in the connector.
When you get the trans serviced, make sure they use the Ford trans filter. This filter seems to stay in place better thatn the after market. You can also purchase a new pan that has a drain plug installed inn it from Ford with a reusable trans pan gasket and matching pan bolts, this way your next service will be that much easier. Get a pan that is from a 99- 4R100 trans, they come with a drain plug which makes dropping the pan a snap.

Old 07-24-2003, 10:02 PM
54 Oldsman
Senior User
E4OD Hard Shifts?

had the tranny serviced and changed the fuel filter today. the tranny pan had no filings but, the fluid was dirty. there was evidence that there had been a previous tranny service. it still shifts as it should and has not had another bad spell. pulled a couple codes, one was the convertor clutch and the other was for lean-left bank. any input on those codes is welcomed.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:41 AM
FizzleBent
New User
351/E4OD Sensor?

Originally Posted by Ponyracer
You can check the MLP/TR sensor(transmission lever position sensor), on the driver side of the trans, wiring connector for moisture inside that could cause a short or bad connection. I hace seen hundreds have this trouble and it can cause all sorts of weird transmission concerns that can be intermittent. Make sure and look into the sensor also for moisture. If you find any, replace the sensor and make sure to use some Dielectric grease in the new connection.

Also, the 351/E4OD combination is very suseptable to fuel pressure. You might replace the fuel filter also. That happened to mine. I bought it from the dealership that I worked at. At first they thought the trans and engine were toast, so I test drove it and realized the trouble, made them an offer that they took, drove it into my bay and replace the fuel filter which was plugger and performed a trans service and found that the trans filter had dropped down and air was getting past the filter O-ring. test drove my new-to-me truck and all was well. Chaulk up won for the techs.

Techs 1
Sales staff 0
Should I Replace this MLP/TR sensor(transmission lever position sensor?

Old 07-25-2008, 11:31 AM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
The E40D will have hard shift when there is code for the transmission. This is a "failsafe" for the trans. The computer sees a problem and maximizes line pressure, thus the hard shift..

You said that it has a code for the converter, this code will cause a failsafe situation. It will most likely start to shift hard again once you get out on the interstate and the converter starts to slip and the computer sees the problem and flags the code.

The way we fix these is to rebuild the trans with a modification to the pump and replace the converter.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:33 PM
PPrash
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I pulled the negative battery cable for 5 mins. last night. Drove it 5-6 times since and the shift are normal again. If it goes back to limp mode I will try to get the codes.