Sponsored by: DP Tuner

So how hard is oil cooler o-ring's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
So how hard is oil cooler o-ring's?

Well I backed the truck out of the station bay today and found a pretty good size oil spot. Pulled in back in and got underneath it. It appears to me like the oil cooler is leaking. So with that being said, how hard is it to replace the o rings on the oil cooler? Time wise what am I looking at?

Old 11-25-2014, 09:39 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can only speak with the water pump off,it was really easy,it was time consuming for me because I can get a little picky with cleaning,If I could of done one a second time it would took half the time.careful to lube orings & mating surfaces & clean the mounting surface well,there's been people that had to pull twice due to leaks & cut orings.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:02 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

I was going to degrease really well before wrenching. It sucks that it waited until it is cold outside to do it

Old 11-25-2014, 10:21 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
I did mine like the vid on you tube where the guy leaves the front header bolted to the front cover in place. Worked great for me & took about 1 hour total time, took longer to drain the coolant & oil than actually doing the o-rings.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:23 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used a very slick trans assembly lube as recommended on a write up here,it was far slicker [better film strength] than Vaseline or some other lubes mentioned

Old 11-25-2014, 10:48 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Is it just me or it's kinds weird that it leaked when I pulled it in the warm garage but not when in the cold? I guess it could have started leaking when it was cold and stopped once it warmed up too.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:58 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
mine leaked last winter for a few minutes when started cold, after it warmed up would not leak again until it got cold (overnight)

Old 11-25-2014, 11:19 PM
M-S-G
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from another thread
Originally Posted by andym
I have it back together. I just need to do a couple more flushes with distilled water and then top it back off one more time. The oil cooler was not a fun job. First, be prepared for oil to get absolutely everywhere. There is no avoiding it. Do the whole thing with a huge tarp underneath your work area if you care about oil spilling. No matter what way you hold the cooler, oil will leak out of it and drip. Second, no one told me what a miserable SOB that oil cooler is to put back together with new seals. No amount of manual persuasion would even come close. I had to stand the cooler on end, ready to be pushed together, on the pad of my floor jack. Then I ran a ratchet strap around the top of the cooler and underneath the jack. I pumped the jack up and it eventually was able to push both ends of the cooler back on. I had a piece of plywood between the pad and the bottom of the cooler, and the pressure from this destroyed the wood. So you either need to have a hydraulic press handy, or be prepared to improvise one. You are not getting the cooler back together without one.
read: it's fffing impossible

Old 11-25-2014, 11:35 PM
jgilrfr
Laughing Gas
I have only done it with the motor out,as far as putting it together I used a ratchet strap to pull it together,it didnt go evenly and i used a soft faced hammer to even it out,didnt take much.When i went to install it one problem i found was it had compressed too much so i tapped both sides with a hammer a little looking to split the difference and bolted it up.I havent started it yet so at this point all i can say is im hopeful but the rathchet strap does work use some oil as a lubricant first before trying to squeeze

Old 11-25-2014, 11:36 PM
jgilrfr
Laughing Gas
btw i tried at first just banging it on with a block of wood and hammer and that got me nowhere if you can press it if not i would recommend a strap

Old 11-26-2014, 08:02 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

I have just recently (month ago) changed the oil cooler o rings on my 02.I had the kit from Bob (Diesel O rings) for a few years just waiting beings my truck has 316k on it.The removal of the cooler went good.I marked the end caps where they were installed from the factory so I would put them back in the same place.There are pins but I felt better with my own marks.Put the cooler in the vise and was able to tap both ends off with a rubber hammer.The o rings were not broke but flat and brittle.I set the new o rings in the sun while I cleaned the parts up.I lubed the o rings with Molycoat 55 o ring lube which I use on all o rings at the job.I put a 2x4 on the ground and used my weight (182lbs of me) and was able to press both ends right on.Not sure I was just lucky because I have read stories of this part being pretty tough for others and cutting o rings.I think the sun and good lube made it easier for me.
The re-install was a little tricky but with my wife holding the front end I got the two bolts started in the back end and then the front bolts were easy.The rest was just tightening all 4 bolts.
My block heater element had alot of calcium buildup on it so I pulled it out when I had the cooler out and cleaned it up with sandpaper.They are made of copper so I just shined it up and re-installed it.Seems to work fine the few times I have plugged it in the last several weeks.
Just take your time,clean the block surfaces and the cooler and i bet you will be ok.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Somebody else just went through this and I posted pictures of my oil cooler pull. It seemed to answer a lot of questions, so I'll do that here:

Block Heater Size

Oil Cooler Gasket Gouge

Oil Cooler Anatomy

Oil Cooler Surface Scale

Oil Cooler Seals

Lippy Mouth

Shortcut Strap

Old 11-26-2014, 11:45 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Thank you guys for all your suggestions and pointers. I order the parts from bob last night. I do have a 20 ton shop press so that will not be a problem. Where can I get this I ring lube? Apparently this has been leaking for a while because the under side of the truck is pretty nasty. I am hoping that it warms up a little before I have to do this.

So for cleaning up the lips on the ends should I us quad steel wool? Or sandpaper?

Old 11-26-2014, 12:28 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
I used emery cloth to clean up the lips & wheel bearing grease to lube things up to slide together

Old 11-26-2014, 02:22 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406
Thank you guys for all your suggestions and pointers. I order the parts from bob last night. I do have a 20 ton shop press so that will not be a problem. Where can I get this I ring lube? Apparently this has been leaking for a while because the under side of the truck is pretty nasty. I am hoping that it warms up a little before I have to do this.

So for cleaning up the lips on the ends should I us quad steel wool? Or sandpaper?
McMaster-Carr

Quick Reply: So how hard is oil cooler o-ring's?