Sponsored by: Moser

Groaning Noise While Turning

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 03:36 PM
CavsQB15
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE

Visited my local dealer today for regular service and included this issue. Two separate techs drove the truck and couldn't re-create the sound. The one said he heard something as he was backing into the bay (as I can hear when backing and turning) but it wasn't anything that was too alarming. The other one drove it around, made multiple turns of varying degree and speed and could not get a response.

While driving home I distinctively heard it twice out of the 7-8 turns I had to make. It is raining today, so I wondered if that had anything to do with it being quiet.

The second older tech did throw out the clutch pack fix as something that happens with the 150 in this generation but they both had a look at it and said everything looked like it was in good shape and nothing was worn out. They were really helpful and to have two people take a look said a lot.

So the good news is I only spent about $50 for oil, filter and a touch up paint pen, but the bad news is there is still this noise I'm paranoid about or I'm just generally losing my mind. I'll continue to monitor it and update everyone on what (if anything) comes of it.

~Mike

Old 12-16-2014, 05:24 PM
ABolt1
Senior User
The best way to recreate is to come to a stop on an incline, then accelerate and turn hard left or right. What you are trying to do is make the outer rear wheel turn as many more revolutions as possible than the inner rear wheel. This more fully engages the clutch packs than taking normal corners, and thus best exposes the issue. If you do not get the sound when doing this, it could be something else entirely.

Best of luck determining the issue. When I had my 2nd set of CPs replaced at 59K (out of standard 36 mos/36K mile warranty), Ford refused to acknowledge the issue, even when reproduced as above with the technician in the vehicle with me. But when the tech learned that I had an extended warranty, he immediately agreed that the CPs were the issue, replaced them, and the problem was solved. I have been on these packs for over 100K with no further issues...

Old 01-22-2015, 09:34 PM
CavsQB15
Junior User
Well, I've waited to see if I was over exaggerating and...I'm not. The issue has been the same if not worse. I'm looking to take the truck in Saturday and have it looked at. I'll be taking the tech on a drive this time as well. The fact that 2 separate techs couldn't hear what I'm experiencing leads me to believe they're either deaf or trying to cover up what may really be going on, as others have eluded to.

I'll keep you all updated.

~Mike

Old 01-22-2015, 09:43 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

The 1st time you take it in, they can't hear anything wrong. The 2nd time, they won't see anything wrong. The 3rd time, they won't be able to tell you anything is wrong. It may take 4 visits.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:10 AM
CavsQB15
Junior User
Originally Posted by xr7gt390
The 1st time you take it in, they can't hear anything wrong. The 2nd time, they won't see anything wrong. The 3rd time, they won't be able to tell you anything is wrong. It may take 4 visits.
No kidding! I've seen this movie before! Maybe I'll get lucky this time?

Old 01-23-2015, 08:55 AM
CowboyUpF250
New User
Cavs,

I've experienced similar scary noises from my 2012 Ecoboost. Three times now. It was fixed twice (under warranty) with two very different issues; but the gremlin is back. My symptoms were exactly as you describing: a groaning noise from the front end (sounded almost like a loud electroninc or hydraulic pump cycling).

The first time, the 4x4 was not disengaging. They disassembled the transfer case and found the clutch assembly had seized. They replaced the entire clutch assembly and armature and 7G362 (whatever that is) and the problem disappeared.

The second time, I started hearing a very similar groaning noise. This time however, it was not restricted to when I was turning. It took a couple months, but I eventually started to loose my brake pedal on cold starts as well. This time, they found that the brake vacuum pump had shorted and they replaced the pump. Again, the noise disappeared after the repair. (
seems to be becoming a pretty common problem with the F150 ecoboost)

Now the noise is back, but I haven't been able to pinpoint it. It's been backI to the dealer once and I got the standard "could not duplicate noise" response. I've been waiting to get a better indication of what is causing the problem before wasting a day of my time taking it back in. I guess I'll have to take it back in three more times before I can get it addressed.

I hope you can get some resolution on Saturday. Keep us all posted!

Old 01-23-2015, 12:08 PM
FalcoDog
Junior User
I had a similar groaning noise in my truck. I tracked it down to my wife.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:26 PM
CowboyUpF250
New User
Doh! Head hitting wall.

I never even thought to check inside the cab...

Old 01-23-2015, 12:33 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CavsQB15
...The issue has been the same if not worse. I'm looking to take the truck in Saturday and have it looked at. I'll be taking the tech on a drive this time as well...
Let's get your regional customer service manager involved, Mike. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll move this up the line.

Originally Posted by CowboyUpF250
...I've been waiting to get a better indication of what is causing the problem before wasting a day of my time taking it back in...
Hi CowboyUpF250,

How many miles are on your truck? I'll investigate some options to assist.

Crystal

Old 01-23-2015, 01:41 PM
CowboyUpF250
New User
Crystal,

Current mileage is 42,808. The vacuum pump was replaced under warranty about 8 months ago. I'm fairly certain that is the problem again because I'm starting to lose my brake pedal again.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:17 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by CowboyUpF250
Crystal,

Current mileage is 42,808. The vacuum pump was replaced under warranty about 8 months ago. I'm fairly certain that is the problem again because I'm starting to lose my brake pedal again.
Send me a PM with your details, CowboyUpF250; I'll escalate this to your regional customer service manager. In your message, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Old 02-12-2015, 03:32 PM
sixtrix
New User
So what's the verdict? I have the very same issue, groaning/grinding noise during a slow right turn. Three failed attempts to have dealer recreate the problem. My issue happens infrequently but seems to be more frequent during colder temperatures (40 degrees and below). It's difficult to pinpoint the source but seems to be coming from driver side front wheel area. I know it's not my imagination playing tricks on me because 3 different passengers have experienced it with me.

It's doubtful that it is related but, 2 days after driving the truck off the lot with 0.7 miles on the odometer, there was brake fluid leaking from the front driver's wheel. Dealer said it was a bleeder valve that was left loose from the factory. Shortly after at 5-6k miles I had to have the dealer turn the rotors due to major warping.

2013 SCREW Platinum Ecoboost 30,000 miles completely stock

Old 02-12-2015, 06:55 PM
RUBICON
Senior User
add 4 oz friction modifier to rear differential mine did the same thing this cured it. mine only did it when turning and backing up best bet would b to drain diff and put in new fluid and friction modifier and only if it is a limited slip diff

Old 02-13-2015, 09:13 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by sixtrix
So what's the verdict? I have the very same issue, groaning/grinding noise during a slow right turn. Three failed attempts to have dealer recreate the problem. My issue happens infrequently but seems to be more frequent during colder temperatures (40 degrees and below). It's difficult to pinpoint the source but seems to be coming from driver side front wheel area...
When was the last time your dealership tried to replicate this, sixtrix? I want to see what I can do to help.

Crystal

Old 02-13-2015, 03:22 PM
sixtrix
New User
Originally Posted by FordService
When was the last time your dealership tried to replicate this, sixtrix? I want to see what I can do to help.

Crystal
Thanks Crystal. The last attempt was on February 2nd.

Quick Reply: Groaning Noise While Turning