1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Another 7.3 no start.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 06:05 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
If the idm is bad, there would be unburnt diesel smoke as it wouldn't be firing the injectors. That is a possibility for sure. PCM, not likely, especially if it has a wts and able to read parameters.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:09 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
He tried a known good idm in the truck

Old 12-24-2014, 08:56 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Bad IDM, there would NOT be any unburned diesel smoke, because no fuel would ever enter the chambers. All the fuel would go right past the injectors and back through the return.

Some "Christmas surprise", that diagnosis; indeed sounds like reindeer droppings. This is why the teacher used to say "show your work"; the shop would have to show _why_ they came up with that. There's a chance that they don't even know how to communicate with our trucks. Def. time to whip out the AE.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:31 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by coreyallan01
Aw man that sucks!!! My worst nightmare; taking my truck to a "shop".... Well in her defence its the thought that counts but i hope you said "dont let them touch anything"!! Kinda sucks now, your stuck in the middle... Sometimes people just arent "car people"...
BTW, and a little off the subject do you race? My first "vehicle" was a bike and ive been riding for the last 22 years... Im a Duc man myself... Course, ive gotta have a superbike in the collection...
Yeah I am going to see what turn out of it. I just order AE this morning after talking about it for a year. Been borrowing it too often from a friend, and he just moved out of state. All that being said. I am still confused on what the hell is going on with an ICP reading that high during cranking. I believe he told me the IPR he replaced was a motorcraft unit but now I'm wondering if there may be more to that.

I know the computer isn't bad otherwise there wouldn't be a read out at all, we tried my IDM. I hope the shop returns the truck and we find our issue under the valve covers... I sure as hell hope so. This is his first diesel and i convinced him to pick up a 7.3, I pushed for an OBS, but the SD it was....not the greatest first experience after driving it home....

Yes I do race... Its what my passion is and what my wife hates...kinda...we met at the track so I have a little bit of leverage. I rock two old yammies, and r6 and r1, and both are just as competetive as any off the floor bike of 2015...except the new R1...that thing is pretty biiitchn'. Hope to find one in a year or two that has been salvaged.

I love Ducs as well! I just can't afford to fix em if they blow up or kiss the pavement, ebay is flooded with squid wrecked japanese bikes! Ducatis....not so much:-) Great looking machine you have there!

Pics of both of my turds....

Old 12-24-2014, 09:38 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
If the idm is bad, there would be unburnt diesel smoke as it wouldn't be firing the injectors. That is a possibility for sure. PCM, not likely, especially if it has a wts and able to read parameters.
??? They wouldn't be firing correct?

Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
He tried a known good idm in the truck
Tied the one out of my truck...no go...had smoke when we tried his IDM.

Originally Posted by madpogue
Bad IDM, there would NOT be any unburned diesel smoke, because no fuel would ever enter the chambers. All the fuel would go right past the injectors and back through the return.

Some "Christmas surprise", that diagnosis; indeed sounds like reindeer droppings. This is why the teacher used to say "show your work"; the shop would have to show _why_ they came up with that. There's a chance that they don't even know how to communicate with our trucks. Def. time to whip out the AE.
Agreed.

Well she tried to surprise him, that's past the point now. Shop obviously doesn't know what they are talking about, and I will see if we can just get the truck to my place and I can actually spend some time with it. I just ordered AE and hope to have that here after the new year.

All this being said. I'm curious of what the issue still is. With the basic tests we have done without a true troubleshooting software, I'm starting to think it may not even be the UVCH. I want to test the block heater and glow plugs myself and verify they are even working. If there is diesel in the cylinder and those are functioning correctly, would it not at least burp and try to fire? I might try a squirt or two of ether to see, but I hate using that stuff and have only done so one other time.

We have seen RPM, FPW, ICP, and voltage... the only thing out of whack is the ICP.... do HPOP just chit the bed like that? I want to verify its bad before we pull it and send it off for an adrenaline pump.

Thank for all your help fellas!

Old 12-24-2014, 09:49 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I like those bikes, the paint remindes me of Colon Edwards Laguna Seca Rc51...

Your kind of like the gurdian angle now, you gotta make sure he doesnt get ripped off by that shop!

Old 12-24-2014, 10:07 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
I like those bikes, the paint remindes me of Colon Edwards Laguna Seca Rc51...

Your kind of like the gurdian angle now, you gotta make sure he doesnt get ripped off by that shop!
Painted em both myself :-)

Yeah I just got off the phone with him after posting this morning. they just quoted $1860 for a new PCM and IDM...300+ to install them... I want to know the name of the shop so I can make sure no one I know ever goes there.

Unfortunately neither of us have an open trailer big enough for it, so we are trying to find one from a friend or he will have to bite the bullet to have it towed to my place...and I don't want to know what that will run.

Stay tuned.....

Old 12-24-2014, 10:08 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
My bad. I wasn't thinking right for some reason. You guys are right for sure. It's not that I didn't know that, had no smoke on my truck and it was the idm....

Old 12-24-2014, 10:24 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by nossliw
Painted em both myself :-)

Yeah I just got off the phone with him after posting this morning. they just quoted $1860 for a new PCM and IDM...300+ to install them... I want to know the name of the shop so I can make sure no one I know ever goes there.

Unfortunately neither of us have an open trailer big enough for it, so we are trying to find one from a friend or he will have to bite the bullet to have it towed to my place...and I don't want to know what that will run.

Stay tuned.....
I would think you could flat tow it on a uhaul dolly...
That kind of estimate makes me want to say, " alright you gurantee thats the problem and if it not i dont pay anything and you put my parts back in"...
Course i wouldnt do that but that was my innitial reaction...
Not like id ever give that kind of money to a shop but just pisses me off...

Old 12-24-2014, 11:24 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
I would think you could flat tow it on a uhaul dolly...
That kind of estimate makes me want to say, " alright you gurantee thats the problem and if it not i dont pay anything and you put my parts back in"...
Course i wouldnt do that but that was my innitial reaction...
Not like id ever give that kind of money to a shop but just pisses me off...
Yup, they could put it all in and it still wouldn't start.

Regarding towing, I have thought about a tow dolley, but I don't believe they are wide enough to get the front wheels on, and with a 2" ball I don't want to know what they truly are rated for. I have seen on all the web sites rate them around 3500-4000 lbs. I'd be better off using our open 18' dual 3500 lb axle trailer over that, but it won't fit and I don't want a SD through my tailgate..... no good deed goes unpunished.....

Old 12-24-2014, 11:57 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by nossliw
Yup, they could put it all in and it still wouldn't start.

Regarding towing, I have thought about a tow dolley, but I don't believe they are wide enough to get the front wheels on, and with a 2" ball I don't want to know what they truly are rated for. I have seen on all the web sites rate them around 3500-4000 lbs. I'd be better off using our open 18' dual 3500 lb axle trailer over that, but it won't fit and I don't want a SD through my tailgate..... no good deed goes unpunished.....

Oooh, yeah i get your hesitation.. But your toung weight wont be very much.. Do you have a reese hitch? Youd be suprised how wide those dollys are.. I remember specing one at one point and it could fit a stock d60 truck w steel wheels w 265 rubber... The uhaul site should have the max width.. Tho i cant remember if those are set up for 2" or a 2-5/16 ball...

Old 12-24-2014, 12:00 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If your renting one I wouldn't tell them what your putting on it though. They probably won't let you rent it

Old 12-24-2014, 12:08 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
If your renting one I wouldn't tell them what your putting on it though. They probably won't let you rent it
+1 yup, thats the way I fly...

Old 01-06-2015, 09:22 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Well he has yet to get the rig down here so we can take a look at it. His daughter was just born so this has been of little importance. Shop said they put a donor PCM and IDM into it to test it. With only the IDM in it, it did not start, once they put the PCM into it it did. I don't know what could be driving that magical issue, but I thought if the PCM were shot you couldn't see any of the read out parameters. We can. I could see un-burnt white smoke when I was up there, so it delivering fuel. I personally think the glow plugs are shot and the block heater may be bad as well (two easy tests that were not done) I figured once it was brought into a warm shop it would start, but recently it has been cold as heck here, -35 on some evenings.

I'm going to let him go ahead and run whatever course he wants with it, but I honestly think they are full of chit. If they are not. I sure would like a better understanding of what would cause this. Telling him dropping a donor pcm and IDM into the trucks solves it without any analytical testing just drives me nuts.

I'm also skeptical that they miswired the pig tails when fixing the melted one, once they found out they effed up and somehow shorted the PCM out, they fixed they correctly pigtail and claim its the PCM...thats just another one of my conspiracy theories, but I sure wish we could get it down to my place. I guarantee in a day we would have it running.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:11 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Well we were able to get his truck down here this past weekend. Replaced all the UVCH, VCG, and GPs. Did a CCV mod, oil change, added a 6637 and figured out the another starting issue due to a corroded wire on the starter. A bunch of the gp wires were crimped and shorted between the gasket and head surface.

I finally opened up AE and checked codes and came up with a 1316 and a bunch of other crap that pertained to the overhead console readouts. I have not setup AE at all yet, and was just trying to get some basic diag out of the truck. It was fairly late and his wife wanted him home so I did not get to run a buzz test, but I was surprised to still see the 1316.

Just an FYI he did end up buying a spare PCM and IDM and had the original shop put them in. I do not believe the old units were bad at all, and will toss his old IDM into my truck to test it.
Considering we replaced all the UVCH and associated wiring I’m wonder if he has a single injector faulting. They appear to be all factory originals at around 200k.

So that’s the update. At least his truck starts effortlessly and runs pretty darn well for the age and unknown history behind it. He will be using the truck only to tow a 40ft enclosed goose, and wants this thing to run right.

Quick Reply: Another 7.3 no start.....