Sponsored by:

Blower Motor noises

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 04:05 AM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Blower Motor noises

My truck started making what I would describe as a wobbling noise on settings 2 and 3 of the blower fan last week. Yesterday I went to leave and started the truck the fan was on 2 and the selector was set to floor, I went to move it to the floor/defrost option and heard what I can only compare to the grind/screech you hear when you try to start a car that's already running, then a pop and it returned to it's normal quiet but slightly wobbly sound.

I am assuming my blower motor is warning me of it's plan to call it quits in the near future. Doesn't look like a big deal at all to change, but my question is - is there any quick/maintenance clean-up type tasks for these or are they just replace when they start issuing warning threats?

Old 11-25-2014, 06:16 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Lightbulb R & R

I am not a big "fan" of temporary repairs. I would R & R.
Your truck is 15 years old and a few new(er) parts will lead to less headaches. IMHO.

I had about half of my dash/cluster lights extinguished, I pulled it and replaced all of them (if they have not burned out in 200K+ they soon will).

I am positive others will disagree.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:33 AM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Mark for the most part. If its a relatively easy part to replace, I'd do it. On some other things, heater core comes to mind, I'd try other things first, (flushing heater core, for example).

Old 11-25-2014, 09:15 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mecdac
I disagree with you, it's probably fine and just letting you know it's still working hard and that it loves you I bet in a few days it will go back to normal. R&R is just a way for the guys on this forum to get you to feel like you have to work on the truck to keep it running smoothly and maintained. I say run it into the ground and then start wondering where the hell you went wrong! Also you can blame Ford for bad designs at that point.

EDIT: Also I would swap it out, blower motors are cheap(ish) and the heater core is right there too

Old 11-25-2014, 10:49 AM
volthause
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sammie0126
I went to move it to the floor/defrost option and heard what I can only compare to the grind/screech you hear when you try to start a car that's already running, then a pop and it returned to it's normal quiet but slightly wobbly sound.
This sounds like a problem with the airflow selector door, an additional / different problem to your wobbling fan noise.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:19 AM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Your truck is 15 years old and a few new(er) parts will lead to less headaches. IMHO.

I had about half of my dash/cluster lights extinguished, I pulled it and replaced all of them (if they have not burned out in 200K+ they soon will).

Well let's see.....

Originally Posted by fordboy67
I agree with Mark for the most part. If its a relatively easy part to replace, I'd do it. On some other things, heater core comes to mind, I'd try other things first, (flushing heater core, for example).
He agrees

Originally Posted by Apocalypse
I disagree with you, it's probably fine and just letting you know it's still working hard and that it loves you I bet in a few days it will go back to normal. R&R is just a way for the guys on this forum to get you to feel like you have to work on the truck to keep it running smoothly and maintained. I say run it into the ground and then start wondering where the hell you went wrong! Also you can blame Ford for bad designs at that point.

EDIT: Also I would swap it out, blower motors are cheap(ish) and the heater core is right there too
Wanders around a bit not sure where he going to land.......
but he agrees on edit.

Originally Posted by volthause
This sounds like a problem with the airflow selector door, an additional / different problem to your wobbling fan noise.
And he agrees too....

wow!

Thanks for the input guys, am going to swap it out this weekend and give the rest the mechanical involved a look, makes plenty of heat so I think the core is fine - in fact on floor it burn your feet.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:43 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
OMG, I am not used to this type of behavior.

Should we infer that certain persons (who shall remain nameless) were disinclined to weigh in?

Old 11-26-2014, 11:42 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
Could there be leaves or sticks in there making noise?

Otherwise you might want to soak it in oily rags or something to renew the grease in the motor bearings.......... did I just say that????

Old 11-26-2014, 04:08 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver

Should we infer that certain persons (who shall remain nameless) were disinclined to weigh in?

Let's see... I threw my (inappropriate) hat in the ring, there was you, ExxWhy, volthause, and fordboy... seems like that's everyone

EDIT: Inappropriate hat, new rock band name CALLED IT!

Old 11-26-2014, 05:48 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster

I just spit wine on my screen......

Old 11-26-2014, 08:32 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
Could there be leaves or sticks in there making noise?

Otherwise you might want to soak it in oily rags or something to renew the grease in the motor bearings.......... did I just say that????
That did work so why you knocking it?

Old 11-26-2014, 08:48 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Makes sense to me 15 yrs...R&R makes the most sense. Especially with it being so cold.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:58 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by sammie0126
Makes sense to me 15 yrs...R&R makes the most sense. Especially with it being so cold.
Right, when a vehicle is that old you will probably need a new one (whatever it is) anyway, soon. As an example; if you suspect a bad fuel pump just put one in before proceeding with the probing.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:08 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
On point: R&R

Off Point:

Old 11-26-2014, 10:37 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver

Quick Reply: Blower Motor noises