Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oil in the valley

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 12:35 PM
Powerstoke73
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil in the valley

Any ideas on oil in the valley just noticed it when i went to replace my idler pulley and noticed oil down in there

Thanks

Old 11-24-2014, 12:54 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Let's see if we can help you on this one.

Upon a visual inspection, is the oil pool in the front of the valley by the HPOP, middle of the valley by the Plenum's, or the back of the valley under the EBP solenoid?

Understanding where the pool is located helps to track down what is leaking.

Front of the Valley:
This is more the likely the HPOP. It could be anything from the fittings, to the gasket that mounts it to the motor. More then likely, it's one of the seals that is in the HPOP. An example of them all can be found here:
High Pressure Oil Pump Repair Parts

Middle of the valley:
Oil in the middle of the valley typically comes from either the connections of the HPOP lines to the heads, or the excessive oil mist from an plenum connection that is leaking. The latter will also cause a loss in power. You can rebuild the fitting, or just replace them along with the HPOP lines ($99/ea) and add some RiffRaff inserts to reinforce the plenum connections.

Back of the valley:
Very common leaks here from the Turbo pedestal and the EBP valve. This one has oil forced up from the motor to lube the turbo and the EBP valve. This is a major leak point and the reason so many have removed the stock pedestal and gone with the deleted pedestal for their turbo.
Turbo and Related Products

If you are going to dig into the back of the motor to fix a leak, then you might as well make your efforts pay off and knock out some other "weak" points.

Before we spend your Christmas money, let's understand where the oil is coming from.

Start by getting some Simple Green and a pressure sprayer. Carefully spray the oily areas of your valley and do the best you can to remove all of the pooled oil.

With a clean valley start up your truck and drive as usual. At the end of each day, climb up and look at your valley to help pinpoint the leak. You'll see fresh oil around the leaking connection. The Turbo pedestal is hard to see and needs a mechanic's mirror (
Ullman Devices (ULLHTK2LT) Rectangular Inspection Mirror with Three Rotating Lights: Machine Tool Inspection Mirrors: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Ullman Devices (ULLHTK2LT) Rectangular Inspection Mirror with Three Rotating Lights: Machine Tool Inspection Mirrors: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
) to really see what's happening.

After you pinpoint the possible leak, let us know and we'll help you spend your money on the right fix.

You can take your truck to a mechanic who will charge you 75-135/hr to find your leak, or you can do it yourself. All of this on top of the motor is easy to take off and replace so I encourage you take a shot and try to fix this yourself.

Let us know if we can help you. If you post pictures, get some good close up's of the suspected areas and we can offer input for you.

Good luck

Old 11-24-2014, 01:32 PM
Powerstoke73
Senior User
Okay great thanks alot looks like its right behind the fuel filter and in the middle the back looks dry some how i think the oil is leaking down to the oil pan making the oil drain bolt look like its leaking but its defin running from the valley down

Old 11-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
There is a drain hole in the back of the valley on the passenger side that will drain the oil down the back of the motor and out the torque converter inspection cover.

Inside the valley are three recessions, one in the front, one in the middle and one in the back. If you have it running down the back of the motor you've lost a good amount of oil.

Check your oil level!

If the majority of the oil right below the fuel filter canister then your HPOP is leaking.

It could be either the main sealing gasket, the oil outlet connections, or the "non-serviceable" plug on the bottom side of the pump.

The HPOP line connections are the easiest to fix because the pump doesn't come out. Everything else requires the pump come out to be fixed.

If you have to pull your pump, might as well rebuild your fuel canister. The entire job is easier.

Can you post some pics?

Old 11-24-2014, 02:51 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just as stated above, after a thorough cleaning, start the motor, get in there with a strong light, the inspection mirror, and clean white paper towels. Push loose wads of the paper towels into the suspected leak areas, and you'll be able to pinpoint the precise location. There are many locations for potential leaks, and this is an effective way to find them.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:41 PM
Powerstoke73
Senior User
Ok does anyone have a pic or explanation on where the HPOP lines are and does it have a seal in between the lines or are they O rings just trying to get a better idea on these operations

Old 11-24-2014, 06:44 PM
arkredneck
Posting Guru
The hpop lines look like small hydralic hoses they bolt into the middle of the heads beside the fuel bowl

Old 11-24-2014, 07:18 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Good luck finding it. I have had a leak for about 10 months now that I can't seem to find. Had the turbo off twice. Really annoying that's for sure.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:34 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesser02EX
Let's see if we can help you on this one.

Upon a visual inspection, is the oil pool in the front of the valley by the HPOP, middle of the valley by the Plenum's, or the back of the valley under the EBP solenoid?

Understanding where the pool is located helps to track down what is leaking.

Front of the Valley:
This is more the likely the HPOP. It could be anything from the fittings, to the gasket that mounts it to the motor. More then likely, it's one of the seals that is in the HPOP. An example of them all can be found here:
High Pressure Oil Pump Repair Parts

Middle of the valley:
Oil in the middle of the valley typically comes from either the connections of the HPOP lines to the heads, or the excessive oil mist from an plenum connection that is leaking. The latter will also cause a loss in power. You can rebuild the fitting, or just replace them along with the HPOP lines ($99/ea) and add some RiffRaff inserts to reinforce the plenum connections.

Back of the valley:
Very common leaks here from the Turbo pedestal and the EBP valve. This one has oil forced up from the motor to lube the turbo and the EBP valve. This is a major leak point and the reason so many have removed the stock pedestal and gone with the deleted pedestal for their turbo.
Turbo and Related Products

If you are going to dig into the back of the motor to fix a leak, then you might as well make your efforts pay off and knock out some other "weak" points.

Before we spend your Christmas money, let's understand where the oil is coming from.

Start by getting some Simple Green and a pressure sprayer. Carefully spray the oily areas of your valley and do the best you can to remove all of the pooled oil.

With a clean valley start up your truck and drive as usual. At the end of each day, climb up and look at your valley to help pinpoint the leak. You'll see fresh oil around the leaking connection. The Turbo pedestal is hard to see and needs a mechanic's mirror (Ullman Devices (ULLHTK2LT) Rectangular Inspection Mirror with Three Rotating Lights: Machine Tool Inspection Mirrors: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific) to really see what's happening.

After you pinpoint the possible leak, let us know and we'll help you spend your money on the right fix.

You can take your truck to a mechanic who will charge you 75-135/hr to find your leak, or you can do it yourself. All of this on top of the motor is easy to take off and replace so I encourage you take a shot and try to fix this yourself.

Let us know if we can help you. If you post pictures, get some good close up's of the suspected areas and we can offer input for you.

Good luck
Reps to you for your suggestions. Put in 5 qts of oil in 1500 miles. HPOP o-ring sprung a leak.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:05 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jerser02EX, Reps to you! That was explained beautifully.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:10 PM
jeremy chesley
Freshman User
i have something to add to this discussion. i also have an oil leak that i have been chasing down for a year. can the epb valve leak oil out through the connector? my leak is from the middle of the engine to the back and seems oil is coated in the valley and the underside wear the turbo inlet and intercooler connections. i have replaced the pedestal seals and the passenger side valve cover gasket.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:37 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jeremy chesley
i have something to add to this discussion. i also have an oil leak that i have been chasing down for a year. can the epb valve leak oil out through the connector? my leak is from the middle of the engine to the back and seems oil is coated in the valley and the underside wear the turbo inlet and intercooler connections. i have replaced the pedestal seals and the passenger side valve cover gasket.
Yes, there is an actuator rod coming from the turbo pedestal that can leak here as well.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:39 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Jesse - Excellent write up - never read better.... reps to you......

Old 12-03-2014, 10:25 PM
jeremy chesley
Freshman User
I don't believe it's the actuator rod because everything in front of the pedestal is wet with oil not to then side or back of the pedestal. My EPB sensor was soaked with oil as it isn't in the last pic posted.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:51 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jeremy chesley
I don't believe it's the actuator rod because everything in front of the pedestal is wet with oil not to then side or back of the pedestal. My EPB sensor was soaked with oil as it isn't in the last pic posted.
Did you replace the O-rings on top and bottom of the pedestal?

Quick Reply: Oil in the valley