1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

rre v2015.. be there!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 07:11 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comparing a 5th wheel to a bumper pull is no comparison lol. When I had my blowout on my camper, I honestly didn't even know it happened. The truck didn't sway an inch

Old 12-20-2014, 07:49 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by liftnw8z
I dunno - I didn't wanna hit 70 with a 22' trailer and a show truck on the back with mine...lol. Maybe ya'll are pulling gooseneck/fifth wheel - I was pulling flat (Class 3/4 hitch) off the frame - and that makes a difference I've heard.
These trucks want to pull at 70. Even in stock form. That's where the power is. A lot of guys say these things are turds, which is true to a point, but put the hammer down and don't look back! If you keep the RPM's up, stock or not, they'll get the job done. Your F150 and car trailer should have no problem behind that truck at 70. Of course I tow almost every day, so I'm slightly used to it. LOL

Old 12-20-2014, 09:05 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
I dunno - I didn't wanna hit 70 with a 22' trailer and a show truck on the back with mine...lol. Maybe ya'll are pulling gooseneck/fifth wheel - I was pulling flat (Class 3/4 hitch) off the frame - and that makes a difference I've heard.
A few years ago ...8... I bought a lifted 77 250 on 39s .. We went and trailers it with josh s ccsb 250. I'm telling you going down hills I would wind the speedo all the way around and b 65 at the top of the next . that was a top heavy sucker...just gotta go with it!!!!

Old 12-20-2014, 09:34 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Byron, heading west across Wyoming, a 50 mph north side wind blew me into the other lane, hence the dually. LOL
LOL!! I know that feeling all too well from going across Wyoming many times. Such a beautiful state, but scary as well.

Originally Posted by tshrager
These trucks want to pull at 70. Even in stock form. That's where the power is. A lot of guys say these things are turds, which is true to a point, but put the hammer down and don't look back! If you keep the RPM's up, stock or not, they'll get the job done. Your F150 and car trailer should have no problem behind that truck at 70. Of course I tow almost every day, so I'm slightly used to it. LOL
I totally agree with you. This is kind of what I was trying to say but you said it better! LOL Bill and I were talking about this and saying how it definitely feels like our trucks sort of wake up when you put weight behind them. They really do like to work. Even when I pulled out of the parks in the morning and started heading down the road, it was like "good morning to you too! Been waitin on ya" LOL!!

Old 12-20-2014, 10:03 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Some views in Texas yesterday

Talked to the lady who owns it....yes, lady. She was a 50 somn year old ranchers wife, and a good lookin lady at that! She bought it a few days ago from another old rancher guy who garaged it all of its life. She said it has 28k original miles on it! She knows her stuff too. She started telling me about the DP, and the upgraded turbo she wants to get, etc... I just sort of chuckled. Pretty awesome I thought. Man this truck looks like it just came off the showroom floor too.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:09 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts
Well, couple in the fact that I tow somewhat infrequently (though that looks to increase now with the diesel), and you can understand my hesitation with it...lol. I think I cruised home between 60 and 65 most of the way and that was where my comfort level was as a driver. Probably as I get used to pulling, that will change.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:36 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, couple in the fact that I tow somewhat infrequently (though that looks to increase now with the diesel), and you can understand my hesitation with it...lol. I think I cruised home between 60 and 65 most of the way and that was where my comfort level was as a driver. Probably as I get used to pulling, that will change.
That's understandable. I started pulling trailers at 16, hell I was a yard jockey at 18 picking and spotting 53' trailers. You definitely have to do what you are comfortable with. Just know that 70 is where it's at with these trucks (assuming 4.10's). Before I really knew what my truck was about, I would baby it and try to save the mileage. That's never going to happen towing, so like I said, turn her loose! Lol. I'd much rather make time then save a few bucks!

Old 12-20-2014, 11:45 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Some views in Texas yesterday

Talked to the lady who owns it....yes, lady. She was a 50 somn year old ranchers wife, and a good lookin lady at that! She bought it a few days ago from another old rancher guy who garaged it all of its life. She said it has 28k original miles on it! She knows her stuff too. She started telling me about the DP, and the upgraded turbo she wants to get, etc... I just sort of chuckled. Pretty awesome I thought. Man this truck looks like it just came off the showroom floor too.
No pics of the lady!?!?!?!Geeeeez! Don't tease us with stories of smokin hot middle aged women that drive OBS Powerstrokes and "knows her stuff" about them, and then not show us a picture of her! That's just mean! I guess I'll just stick to my smokin hot middle aged wife who doesn't know anything about trucks......

Old 12-20-2014, 11:50 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
No pics of the lady!?!?!?!Geeeeez! Don't tease us with stories of smokin hot middle aged women that drive OBS Powerstrokes and "knows her stuff" about them, and then not show us a picture of her! That's just mean! I guess I'll just stick to my smokin hot middle aged wife who doesn't know anything about trucks......
Yeah, what he said! LOL...(said by the guy who's not married or dating)...

That's understandable. I started pulling trailers at 16, hell I was a yard jockey at 18 picking and spotting 53' trailers. You definitely have to do what you are comfortable with. Just know that 70 is where it's at with these trucks (assuming 4.10's). Before I really knew what my truck was about, I would baby it and try to save the mileage. That's never going to happen towing, so like I said, turn her loose! Lol. I'd much rather make time then save a few bucks!
I'll have to crawl under and look at the axle tags to see what gears I'm running. It pulls like there's nothing back there, that's for sure.

Speaking of mileage - last weekend I was with the NEST guys in Jersey. Stopped at a station just on the western side of Hazleton, PA (about 200 miles from home) and ran that whole way on just a bit more than a half a tank. Open interstate driving at right around 70 with no load, yeah, this thing was pretty damn efficient.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:21 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
I am right there with you. been pulling horse trailers, stock trailers,and hay haulers since I started driving. With my current setup, I can drive it 65 and get about 9, or go 70 and get 8.5....it's pretty obvious what my decision is going to be! But yes, do what you comfortable with for sure. Safety when towing is paramount!

Old 12-20-2014, 01:05 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Her bananna but crumble muffins are soooo good...she does NOT need to know anything about trucks!

Old 12-20-2014, 02:03 PM
91 Dually
Elder User

This is a layout map of the campground.<br/>Newport /I-40/ Smoky Mountains KOA.<br/>Reservations : 800-562-9016.<br/>I know Bill is on Site 27... Glen is on 25....and I am on 23.... Bill told me a couple others but I forgot. (guess it's the age thing),.., Who else has reservations and what site number? We should be able to fill up a pretty big block together if we get busy! Everybody could say "Well, looks like this is the OBS section!

Old 12-20-2014, 02:38 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
I think I'm in 26

Old 12-20-2014, 05:24 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fordman67
Her bananna but crumble muffins are soooo good...she does NOT need to know anything about trucks!
You shouldnt talk about Bills wifes butt like that haha. I am in cabin k57.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:12 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Aaron, your going to have to come across and help me with the two B's (Bill & Brian)! LOL

Last year I asked if I could just pull around and park in the site, then come to the office and she said OK. I'm 65' long and a lot of camp grounds don't have room at the office, LOL.

Quick Reply: rre v2015.. be there!!