Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Well, I didn't want to mention it but..................LOL

Old 12-17-2014, 10:16 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld

I thought you were putting a dual disk organic in the SD?
I was going to originally, but ceramic will hold more abuse and I am the most abusive person I know when it comes to driving. It might be pretty, but that doesn't stop me from beating the tar out of it. Lol. It'll still be an alright towing clutch.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:19 AM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alex you need to build one of these.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:34 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Nice one brodad!! I am stoked for you! Hopefully I'll get to see it in person!
Thanks, Byron. I'm pretty stoked about it, for sure! Hopefully you guys can make it to TN this year and I can give you a guided tour, lol.

Originally Posted by stainlessstroker95
Nate, now you are gonna need some power mods to help pull the bigger camper!
Yeah, I am already thinking that way, though the truck will handle it just fine the way it is. I'd still like to do a T-500 and a set of stage 1's from Jim. But then I'm pretty sure I'll need to do something about the clutch, and then probably traction bars, and then a turbo, and then, and then, and then.... You know how it goes.

I do have a couple camper questions for the more "experienced" RV'ers here. First off, what's the best place to read up on what I am missing for the RV? Is there an FTE equivalent forum for RVing? I know Glenn, you've mentioned a site before but since you've been at it a lot longer than I have, I figured you would know know a good place to start.
Second question, what's a good coating to use to seal the roof? It's not leaking now, but I know that once they start leaking they're on borrowed time. I want to do some preventive maintenance to try and stay ahead of the curve on this one and make it last a while. I've seen some spray on or brush on (EPDM) coatings but this one seems to have an aluminum roof that is coated with something already. I can tell it has been re-sealed before. Is there something better than that coating to use to seal around the edges where the roof meets the rain gutter? You can probably tell I'm excited about this thing because I'm ready to tear into it. That's what I do when I get stoked about something, tear it apart and start modifying and fixing things.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:19 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Originally Posted by stainlessstroker95
Alex you need to build one of these.
I agree. Someone with a huge shop and is centralized should let everyone come over! We would come up with something crazy awesome im sure!

And that is a sweet plow! Figuring out how to make that thing autonomous would be tough though.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:44 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

I go to RV.net forums once in awhile. I learn most of my stuff in campgrounds from other campers. I use that Elastomeric roof coating, great stuff. Going down the road the camper will flex and elastomeric will flex with it. I've yet to see it crack. My rubber roof ends six inches from the edge of the roof on all sides and the factory chalked in the joint. It wasn't long before that leaked. A guy told me about a four inch tape to cover that joint but I also coated it with elastomeric and it hasn't leaked again in seven years. I coat it once a year, good stuff.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:57 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Going back to the "bedroom over the 5th wheel", I thought that was almost standard lol. I did see one exception at our local RV dealer. They sell new Jaycos, and they had a $90,000 Jayco Eagle on the lot I checked out (for giggles). They had the bedroom in the back and use the 5th wheel area as the living area. It had a big screen TV on the wall above the fireplace, and plush leather cinema style seats with cup holders and the whole 9 yards! It... was... gorgeous!

Now to the "fixing up the camper"

If you've got new tires, your already ahead IMO. Blowouts suck! Ask me how I know lol.

I haven't messed with the roof on mine much. Its still in good shape. One thing I do do is, once every couple months, walk around and on top of the camper and check your seals around your windows and corners. Im probably not the #1 best camper out there, but I use "Through The Roof". Its a clear roofing caulk. If its good enough to keep ran off a roof, itll work just fine for a camper. And best part is, its fairly cheap and you can buy it almost anywhere. A tube goes a long way. Im sure theres a special caulk specifically for campers but... Through The Roof works lol

One thing that's nearly more important than what shape your campers in is whats in it! If you've never been camping before, your first camping trip is always a doosey lol. Im not sure how we didn't contract some disease on our first one lol. I could type out most things youll need if you guys want. All Im gonna say is:

Toilet Paper

Old 12-18-2014, 09:02 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
A few years back I noticed some of the seams on the roof of the pop-up were seperating, and it was beginning to leak. Its from 1980 so I figured leaks were inevitable. I went around with clear silicone, (Aaron has seen one of my silicone jobs on his camper, that was messy...lol) and I've never had a problem since. The whole time it rained at RRE it never leaked a drop.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:04 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

You didn't say that right JP, its 'camping toilet paper'! Get the right stuff for campers so you don't clog up the works. AND yes, good tires are a must. A blown tire will trash your camper out, I can show you at RRE, LOL Also tires with the proper load ratings. I have moved from E, G and now H rated tires. I haven't had a flat in a long time. The H are also rated as a high speed tire. Most trailer tires are only rated at 55 to 60 mph.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:26 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Thanks, Byron. I'm pretty stoked about it, for sure! Hopefully you guys can make it to TN this year and I can give you a guided tour, lol.

Yeah, I am already thinking that way, though the truck will handle it just fine the way it is. I'd still like to do a T-500 and a set of stage 1's from Jim. But then I'm pretty sure I'll need to do something about the clutch, and then probably traction bars, and then a turbo, and then, and then, and then.... You know how it goes.

I do have a couple camper questions for the more "experienced" RV'ers here. First off, what's the best place to read up on what I am missing for the RV? Is there an FTE equivalent forum for RVing? I know Glenn, you've mentioned a site before but since you've been at it a lot longer than I have, I figured you would know know a good place to start.
Second question, what's a good coating to use to seal the roof? It's not leaking now, but I know that once they start leaking they're on borrowed time. I want to do some preventive maintenance to try and stay ahead of the curve on this one and make it last a while. I've seen some spray on or brush on (EPDM) coatings but this one seems to have an aluminum roof that is coated with something already. I can tell it has been re-sealed before. Is there something better than that coating to use to seal around the edges where the roof meets the rain gutter? You can probably tell I'm excited about this thing because I'm ready to tear into it. That's what I do when I get stoked about something, tear it apart and start modifying and fixing things.
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I go to RV.net forums once in awhile. I learn most of my stuff in campgrounds from other campers. I use that Elastomeric roof coating, great stuff. Going down the road the camper will flex and elastomeric will flex with it. I've yet to see it crack. My rubber roof ends six inches from the edge of the roof on all sides and the factory chalked in the joint. It wasn't long before that leaked. A guy told me about a four inch tape to cover that joint but I also coated it with elastomeric and it hasn't leaked again in seven years. I coat it once a year, good stuff.
Nate, I am hoping we can make it too! I am going to see about reserving a cabin today. I would consider bringing the RV and still might, but the wife is thinking a cabin and get away with minimal work and stuff to do.

As far as forums, what Glenn said is about the only one I know of. There is a forum dedicated to Heartland owners that I am on, but it is also a very good source of info that is general RV related. heartlandowners.org is the site.

Elastomeric is really good or the Dicor roof coating is also really good as well. You can tape the seams with 4" aluminum tape and do a coating on top of that for minimal $$. My last rig had that done to it in lieu of a new roof and it held fantastic. That was for 3 years until I sold it and the new owner says no roof leak problems as of yet, even in the heavy Texas rains we get here. Hope this helps. They are a lot of fun and can really save you money when traveling.

On edit: do NOT use clear silicone. It will work in a pinch, but will not seal to the roof long term and you will be peeling the old stuff off and doing it again. Ask me how I know.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:03 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Elastomeric is so good I used it on seams of the underbelly where I cut the sheet metal. Over the years I have had leaks in the fresh water tank and grey water tank and had to cut it open. Thank goodness, the black water tank is still holding. I used to caulk but like Byron said, it just peels off. Elastomeric is thick enough that I can lay on my back and fill the seams and not get to many drips. Great stuff, I carry a gallon with me.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:03 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Thanks for the responses, guys. I do appreciate it. I've heard that the aluminum tape is a must-have for emergencies (I have some in the shop) but I had never thought of using it as a longer term solution than that.

I've heard that the silicone is a no-no too. The issue is just what you mentioned, in that the camper starts to flex and then the silicone cracks or separates, lets the water enter but doesn't let it evaporate, so it never dries out.

Any body have a favorite spot for getting either elastomeric coating or Dicor? I want to take care of this before it becomes an issue.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:05 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

I have had different brands but they are all about the same. I got my last gallon at Lowes.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:11 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Glenn, do you prefer the heavier stuff (they call it 15 year) or one of the thinner formulas? It looks like there are about 4 different grades of it if you're looking at the "Black Jack" brand. They're listed as 15, 10 7, and 3 year ratings. I'm assuming the longer life stuff is just thicker with more solids in it. It isn't rated to cover as much, which is why I would assume that.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:19 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

I like the heavier stuff. This is the last one I bought:

Quick Reply: rre v2015.. be there!!