1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Do I need a trans cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 12:51 PM
koshare
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree completely with needing a tranny cooler, but what isn't clear to me is which is the best way to cool the tranny. A cooler from say B&M or TCI, or a cooler that's integrated into the radiator. I have heard both or better than the other from different but very good transmission builders.

Any thoughts on that?

thanks,
Rick

Old 07-19-2003, 04:35 PM
cole1
New User

Check out P.A.W or summit racing, http://store.summitracing.com/department.asp?d=15 never had issueswith either and have spent plenty with both. If memory serves, you can get a dual action trans & oil cooler frm either in the $150 range http://store.summitracing.com/partde...t=PRM%2D13311. Keepin' cool is............ cool! sorry!

Old 07-21-2003, 08:58 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Daryl, I'll get it in the mail to you. I don't know what it off of, but it is in good shape. Just mount it where the air flow can get to it and attach the AT lines. TAYL, John

Old 07-21-2003, 10:11 AM
Kurt G.
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Daryl, just thought I'd chime in, When it comes to trans coolers I believe in overkill, I read somewhere that at the temp our engines run trans fluid burns up pretty quick. If it gets to 300 degrees its ponly good for like 15 miles then bad tranny. I usually install one for a big motor home' only I put it infront of the radiator not pretty but it's effective. Good luck in you choice Kurt y-blocks rule!

Old 07-21-2003, 10:11 AM
Kurt G.
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Daryl, just thought I'd chime in, When it comes to trans coolers I believe in overkill, I read somewhere that at the temp our engines run trans fluid burns up pretty quick. If it gets to 300 degrees its ponly good for like 15 miles then bad tranny. I usually install one for a big motor home' only I put it infront of the radiator not pretty but it's effective. Good luck in you choice Kurt y-blocks rule!

Old 07-21-2003, 10:31 AM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard the same formula, for every 20 degree drop in trans temp. the life of the trans. doubles. It will rob no power. It actually adds capacity so the fluid should stay cleaner. I recommend installing it after the fluid goes through the radiator in the return line side. If you put it between the trans. and the radiator, the radiator might actually warm it back up (if radiator temp is higher than fluid temp.).

Old 07-21-2003, 10:11 PM
bhabben
Senior User

Daryl,
One vital piece of info has been missed. If you look at a factory setup, they run the tranny cooler through the radiator which functions as a fluid-to-fluid heat exchanger. This not only cools the tranny fluid when hot, but warms it up in cold damp climates to boil off condensed water in the transmission (bad). So, the thermostat in the engine also functions as a rudimentary thermostat for the tranny fluid.
With that being said, while you don't want it too cold, fluid breaks down rapidly over a given temp point (depending on oil type), and kills the tranny immediately after. Start with using the factory cooler in the radiator, and install a tranny temp gauge. If it ever gets too hot, change the fluid and add an auxilliary cooler upstream of the radiator tranny cooler.
If you route it in the other order in cold damp climates you may never boil off the condensed water.
Adios,
Brett

Old 07-21-2003, 10:40 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru

OK Gents,
I just read and re-read the reply's to my trans cooler? post. I got edgemacated today to learn that I have a trans cooler in my radiator. I did not know this. (Go ahead Fergie, lemme have it...)

So, do I still need an external one aside from the radiator one? Is that a possiblity? or does that not happen in the world of cooling AOD tranny's???

Brett,
What's a tranny temp gauge? and where does it get installed? Once it starts measuring tranny temps, what am I looking for? a certain range of temp the tranny should stay in? Thanks!

"Schultze... I know nussink"!!!

"bully" Daryl
(had to get the last shot in, Fergie. Beauty, eh?)

Last edited by DS59F100; 07-21-2003 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:19 PM
55FordLover
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FTE has it right on,

Recommend a tranny cooler also...i have one installed in my radiator already and so far I havent had any problems with it...think that you would want to put another one on there only if its not cutting the mustard from the radiator....good idea and hopefully you dont have to do this....

James

Old 07-23-2003, 07:29 PM
bhabben
Senior User

Daryl,
Heat stroke strikes again. Ask the guy who built your tranny (duh!). He has a vested interest in your tranny living, as he would have to warantee it if it died. He would gladly answer any question you would have regarding proper care. I would assume that he would not have let the truck out of the shop with an insufficient cooling system, but it does not hurt to ask. A tranny temp gauge is no different than any other temp gauge designed for oil in a gearbox. People stick them in engine sumps, trannies, transfer cases, differentials, PTO's, boat v-drives, whatever. You are definitely looking for a range, more concerned about the high end. Rather than me telling you lies, go with whatever your tranny guy says, because he's the one who will have to fix it if it's cooked.
Good Luck!
Brett