6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Just bought a 6.0!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 02:54 PM
DelusiveGhost
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Just bought a 6.0!

Hey everyone, just joined the forum today! The name is Nick and Im 22
So I have a couple things and sorry for this longish post. I've done a lot of reading on the 6.0 and want to see what you guys think or have experienced. this is my first diesel and I want to keep this big girl kicking for awhile.

So I just bought a 2006 F-350 King Ranch 6.0 and it has 103k on it and the guy I bought it from bought it with 60k on it and he took it to ford to have all the maintenance done like oil changes and small things. This thing runs like a champ, nothing has been done performance wise ever that I know of, no tuner or chips and everything is basically stock performance wise. In time I will be trying to "bulletproof" it. i have a commuter car so this will most likely just be plugged in and driven on occasion.

Ive been wanting to get some gauges by glowshift and been wanting to get the 4 pod pillar but not sure what gauges I should be getting, what are the most important for this truck. Should I get 4 pod or 3 pod and also should I get a chip not to upgrade anything just for checking things like the same way the gauges would monitoring... thanks for all the input in advance!

Old 11-22-2014, 03:05 PM
watatrp
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not just get a ScanGauge II and save yourself some time and money? Mine is completely stock and has nearly 240k miles on it.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:17 PM
mattdoc88
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The OBDII monitors are really good to have. Scangauge 2 or Torque Pro and an android device are pretty common (I use Torque pro).
None of the OBDII devices can show you low pressure oil pressure, fuel pressure, or exhaust temperature. Those would be good candidates for physical gauges.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:19 PM
DelusiveGhost
Junior User
Well I might actually get something like that as well, im putting my feeling out to see what everyone is doing to monitor their trucks and get some ideas. I just really like the glowshift gauges in the pillar and like the kind of look they have.

Thanks watatrp and mattdoc88

Old 11-22-2014, 03:31 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DelusiveGhost
Well I might actually get something like that as well, im putting my feeling out to see what everyone is doing to monitor their trucks and get some ideas. I just really like the glowshift gauges in the pillar and like the kind of look they have.

Thanks watatrp
You'd have to spend $5,000 or more on gauges to do what a $150 buck Scangauge will tell you and then you wouldn't be able to see out of the windshield.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:31 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
If you haven't monitored the truck yet, go the OBD2 route first. Find out just how healthy everything is. Read through the stickies at the top of the forum.

Go here and post up your email address and get the Spread Sheets. They come in handy.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ew-owners.html

On those occasions you drive it, get it up to temp and exercise the turbo.

Welcome to FTE, and enjoy the truck!

Old 11-22-2014, 05:46 PM
2006White60
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget to check out the Tech folders at the beginning of the forum, there is a wealth of information. Don't worry about some of the negatives some people have about the 6.0 just keep up the regular maintenance and only use Ford or Racor filters!! Good luck and welcome aboard!!

Old 11-22-2014, 07:20 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I have an 04 and I run the glowshift gauges. Had the older white face but just changed to the blackface 7 color and they are much better. Only run 3 EGT, Fuel Press, and Boost plus I have a scan gauge for the rest and monitor the eot, ect temps, as well as volts and what ever else I need (ficm, IPR, etc) These are just a simple click away at all times. I also keep mine plugged in with the schaurer 3 Amp maintainer/charger. ttrans temp can be run on the SG so no need for an actual guage if that was your plan!

Enjoy your truck.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:26 PM
SPD&PWR
Senior User
Congrats on Truck!

Old 11-22-2014, 10:36 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
What they said. Do some monitoring of lots of data first. Hpo, ficm voltage and eot-etc are the the key ones. Do some reading in the tech folder.

Get scan gauge, torque pro for android, or Forscan for apple and you can read every sensor on the truck. Scan gauge makes a better gauge to keep in the truck.

When you add pilar gauges, monitor egt, fuel pressure and boost. The first two will require you to add the hardware because there is no egr or fuel pressure sensors that came on the truck.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:04 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

From my experience... I would only go 3 pod, the 4th one interferes with the sun visor, you have to twist it around the pod every time you use it. I had a 4 pod, I took it out and went to a single pod and put the "holy ****" handle back in. Now I'm thinking of going back to a 2 or 3 pod since I now have an oil pressure gauge, and am going to get an egt gauge. Probably 2 pod and read my egt through a digital gauge.
My experience with glowshift was... great company, meh products. I went through 3 defective fuel pressure sensors before I put my old isspro back in. They will do everything to help you when something goes wrong, but I just decided not to use their stuff anymore. One mans opinion, I'm sure lots of people love their stuff.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:12 PM
mattdoc88
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BryanStein
When you add pilar gauges, monitor egt, fuel pressure and boost.
He has an '06 so there is already a boost gauge in the dash (05-07 have it).

Old 11-23-2014, 09:22 AM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by mattdoc88
He has an '06 so there is already a boost gauge in the dash (05-07 have it).
Thanks. I knew that but keep forgetting because I have an 04.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:17 AM
DelusiveGhost
Junior User
Originally Posted by John Irwin
From my experience... I would only go 3 pod, the 4th one interferes with the sun visor, you have to twist it around the pod every time you use it. I had a 4 pod, I took it out and went to a single pod and put the "holy ****" handle back in. Now I'm thinking of going back to a 2 or 3 pod since I now have an oil pressure gauge, and am going to get an egt gauge. Probably 2 pod and read my egt through a digital gauge.
My experience with glowshift was... great company, meh products. I went through 3 defective fuel pressure sensors before I put my old isspro back in. They will do everything to help you when something goes wrong, but I just decided not to use their stuff anymore. One mans opinion, I'm sure lots of people love their stuff.
Haha this is the kind of input I was looking for because I would have been pissed knowing that I'd have to manipulate the sun visor around the 4th pod.

So thanks again guys for all the input, Im so freaking glad to find a good forum to get all this info from. Im sure after reading everything on the stickies ill be back to ask some more questions.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:25 AM
DelusiveGhost
Junior User
And also what kind of MPG should I be getting?

Quick Reply: Just bought a 6.0!