1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New version of S&B, Is anyone using this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 02:06 PM
fusefinder
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New version of S&B, Is anyone using this?

Anyone use the new S&B yet 75-5062 $299 from S&B

Compared to the Previous model available at Riffraff 75-5028 $269

Newer one looks to have better battery and sensor fitment!

Old 11-22-2014, 04:24 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I have it. Fitment was great! The quality of the battery tray is super. It is a lot better than stock when it comes to flow. It is a bit louder than stock. I like the plexiglass top...lets you see how dirty it is without opening it up. Justin at DP Tuner is testing one also and so far he says the flow is great.... My air intake temps only increase about 10 degrees at idle while sitting at a stop light when it is 70 degrees ambient. With the factory box it would go up about 30 above ambient in the same situation. Then when you start moving the temp drops to ambient very quickly. This means it is sealing out the underhood temps well. I have seen most of the other brands and helped install a few. This is by far the best quality I have seen....

Old 11-22-2014, 06:54 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I think you just found something else for tugly to spend money on.....

S&B from my experience is a great product I didn't have one on my 7.3 because the 6637 flowed plenty for that but my current truxk has one and the fitment is great looks good and performs. I can only really hear it when I have a hard down shift caused by my tow/haul mode and driving style.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:12 PM
fusefinder
Freshman User
I'm looking (with the finger hovering over the buy now button) at the newer model, looks like everything I want in a all-in one replacement for stock. Not really interested in cannibalizing up the stock setup for this mount and that clip!

Old 11-22-2014, 08:57 PM
milehi_350
Senior User
The new one looks like it's easier to get a good seal around the fender opening if you wish to do so. The older version was a bit of a pain for me.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:15 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Man i just installed the previous model s&B this time last year. Wish i would have waited a year. That new one looks WAY better !!!!

Old 11-23-2014, 06:05 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Nope... no big improvement over mine. It looks cool, but it's going to sound the same when driving and behave the same when I pop a VC. If they want to blow my skirt up, they need to re-design the stupid neck to the turbo inlet. With the AIS, I was able to unclip 4 lock-downs and unscrew a hose clamp to get the intake out of the way of the VC - 10 seconds and done.

NOW...
  1. Remove 4 screws to take Plexiglas off. Don't drop them, magnets don't work on stainless steel. I've already sacrificed one to the grease gods.
  2. Loosen filter hose clamp and remove filter.
  3. Loosen both boot hose clamps.
  4. Slide boot back.
  5. Remove two 13mm bolts (not with a socket - no clearance for the tool)
  6. Remove neck to turbo inlet.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:39 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerbuilttracks
Man i just installed the previous model s&B this time last year. Wish i would have waited a year. That new one looks WAY better !!!!
Yeah...me too. The model I installed was pretty flimsy in the battery tray area.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:18 AM
fusefinder
Freshman User
Looking at both installation instructions it looks like they have eliminated the 2 hex bolts (with limited access) that mounted the neck to the box....a little easier to remove?

Does anyone have an installation link or PDF for the Ford AIS? I was looking and could not locate one, it would be one more thing to look at before I buy!

Old 11-23-2014, 09:43 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by fusefinder
Anyone use the new S&B yet 75-5062 $299 from S&B

Compared to the Previous model available at Riffraff 75-5028 $269

Newer one looks to have better battery and sensor fitment!
We actually have both new and old design, while they last.

S&B 7.3L Powerstroke Cold Air Intake Kit - New Design - Riffraff Diesel Performance

S&B 7.3L Powerstroke Cold Air Intake Kit - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Old 12-05-2014, 10:45 AM
fusefinder
Freshman User
Purchased and installed the newer S&B 75-5062. I love it... a huge improvement over stock... a tad bit louder...just barely noticeable...or I'm just listening more for it now. Looks great and fits well! Yes it will take longer to remove than stock the ribbed hose...but I can live with that.
I like that you can see the filter without the added noise of a full open filter, truck likes it also, pickup and mileage seem to increase with this last tank!

Old 12-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
I have been using the newer version for a while now. Have about 2000 miles on it. Drastically cut down the sound of my 38R compared to the 6637, and intake temps are cooler.

It seems to flow great as well. The filter minder never moves no matter what tune I am in and how I am driving. Only time will tell how long this will last as the filter gets dirtier (I drive in a pretty clean environment though).

The new battery tray is great compared to the old version.

I think S&B has made a good move here. They found the flaws of the original system and fixed them for this kit.

Here is a pic of mine installed.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 12-09-2014, 07:31 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Where is the filter minder located? The way I see that air box made, (I have the old style) is that unless the filter minder is located between the filter and the turbo...it will never move. They is simply too many sources for airbox air to create a vacuum in the air box. I didn't even re-install my filter minder.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by Dan V
Where is the filter minder located? The way I see that air box made, (I have the old style) is that unless the filter minder is located between the filter and the turbo...it will never move. They is simply too many sources for airbox air to create a vacuum in the air box. I didn't even re-install my filter minder.
It is mounted in the tube going from the airbox to the turbo. Just on the underside, where it is not visible in the picture. S&B puts a spot in the tube where you can drill out the hole to mount it if you would like.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 12-15-2014, 09:56 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Does anyone else hear this thing sucking in air under the hood clearly from the cab with the windows rolled up, the blower fan on high and the radio up?

I hear it when the transmission downshifts (change in RPMs, so change in volume of air required). If I step on the pedal to get up a big hill and let off suddenly, I hear it hissing. It's not subtle or quiet by any means. Maybe it's time for a video...

I got the new style with the dry filter.

Quick Reply: New version of S&B, Is anyone using this?