1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

'72 Front Wheel Cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 06:39 AM
RedTaurus94
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Front Wheel Cylinders

A few days ago, I blew the wheel cylinder on the left front of my '72. Might know something would happen with the temperature at 12° that next morning! Anywho, I guess I took it for granted that I could just go buy a replacement. It's actually turning out to be a little more difficult that I thought it would. I normally shop at O'Reilly. The only front wheel cylinder I see there is for a 4x4. After looking at a few other sources, I see two different parts listed some places, but I can't tell what it for what. One has a 1 1/8" bore, and another has a 1 1/16" bore. I'm thinking the 1 1/8' bore is for the RWD and the 1 1/16" bore is for the 4x4. Is this correct? I need to find some parts and get this thing back rollin' today!! THANKS!!!!

Old 11-22-2014, 06:53 AM
12ozd
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAPA lists the 1 1/8" for the RWD, and the 1 1/16" for a 4WD.
(If this helps)

Old 11-22-2014, 07:06 AM
RedTaurus94
Posting Guru
Thanks, 12ozd. I thought that was correct but I wanted to be sure. I'd like to get this job done in one shot and not discover I have the wrong parts after I get them home. I'd love to use NAPA because I'm a big Chase Elliott fan, but I thought their website was a bit difficult. Maybe it was just me. Or maybe it was the lateness of the hour when I was looking! Or both....

Old 11-22-2014, 09:47 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RedTaurus94
Thanks, 12ozd. I thought that was correct but I wanted to be sure. I'd like to get this job done in one shot and not discover I have the wrong parts after I get them home. I'd love to use NAPA because I'm a big Chase Elliott fan, but I thought their website was a bit difficult. Maybe it was just me. Or maybe it was the lateness of the hour when I was looking! Or both....
You should replace both at the same time. If not it may pull to one side.
Best to check & repack wheel bearings with new hub seals. If not you may be doing the other side soon..
Orich

Old 11-22-2014, 12:48 PM
RedTaurus94
Posting Guru
Yeah, replacing both sides is the plan, orich. As soon as I pulled that drum off the driver's side, I saw the adjuster screw was backed way out, so I knew I was looking at replacing everything. So, it's drums, cylinders, shoes, bearings and seals for me. For some odd reason, O'Reilly's doesn't list the 2WD wheel cylinders. So, I'll get those at NAPA and everything else at O'Reilly's. O'Reilly's has the good, riveted Wagner shoes. I can come out better money-wise at O'Reilly because I am already involved in their rewards program. I have one $5-off coupon already and this job should earn me another one or two hopefully!

Old 11-22-2014, 02:43 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Also check all 3 of your rubber flex brake lines. For any hard or cracks in the rubber.
May be good time to replace them.
Orich

Old 11-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Are wheel cylinders something to look for in NOS, or will rubber be trash by now? I see new ones for my 64 for like six bucks, and that sounds a little cheap for something so important. This winter thinking about finishing up the brakes like the OP with new drums, cylinders and shoes.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:46 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
They are not expensive. Even if you don't order from them, Rock Auto is always a great place to look and cross reference applications. A couple years ago, I got everything for a 54 IH S100 for a little over $200. It was shoes, wheel cylinders, hoses, hardware kits and master cylinder. All Wagner and Bendix parts.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:41 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
Just sayin, you CAN get it all from oreilly's. I should know, as I worked there. My store had most of it in stock, and what wasn't stocked was only 2 days away at MOST!

If the guy at the counter can't find it, he is either lying to you, or doesn't know what the hell he's doing....

Old 11-22-2014, 08:07 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Are wheel cylinders something to look for in NOS, or will rubber be trash by now? I see new ones for my 64 for like six bucks, and that sounds a little cheap for something so important. This winter thinking about finishing up the brakes like the OP with new drums, cylinders and shoes.
If you buy those nos that's been on the shelf for x yrs. If they leak, I'd rebuild,
kits are cheap like $3.50+ Hone put in fresh cups and you'll be good.

I always buy new wheel cyl. they are cheap and ez and good to rebuild if needed as their not all eaten up inside from moisture like your old ones become.

I had a new one start leaking a a little when, I did an inspections a yr later.
I hone it put in a new kit in both fronts and I know it was a fresh rebuild and should last for yrs.

Auto parts are not date coded so you may get 10 -20 yr old parts needing a rebuild.. Not all NOS parts are a good buy, it's buyer beware, When a listing say No returns.

Rock Auto is just a middle man vendor. As I gotten good parts and some just banged up pistons that 6 were Okay & 2 were marked on the out side of the box N/G with a red felt pin.. Plus they the weight was 1.3oz over the 6 others. It looked like they were hit or dropped on rocky ground that smashed the rings groove in on both pistons.

Yea ez return but set back 3 weeks. I then ordered from Summit power seal pistons.

I only buy loco brake stuff , just makes it ez to exchange if needed..
Mu 2cents
Orich

Old 11-22-2014, 08:58 PM
RedTaurus94
Posting Guru
351ClevelandC4, I looked at the O'Reilly website, and the guy at my local store (with which I normally have very good luck) looked at the in-store thing, and the website, and we could only find a listing for the 4x4 wheel cylinders. I thought it was weird because I can find them at NAPA and AutoZone. That guy and I had a short discussion about them "probably being the same thing," but I wasn't about to accept that without some solid proof. Now that I have my complete parts-needed list, I'm going to order everything tomorrow. I hope the same O'Reilly guy is there tomorrow when I go in. He'll get one last chance . I pass right by NAPA on the way back home!

Old 11-22-2014, 09:04 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
O'Reillys part numbers are WC18290 and WC18291. Front left and front right wheel cylinders for 2wd.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:43 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
So the wheel cylinders, the brake hose actually connects directly to them through the backing plate right? If I replace just the front wheel cylinders and such, can I get away with just bleeding those two systems or have to do all four?

Old 11-22-2014, 09:52 PM
RedTaurus94
Posting Guru
Tedster, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it will depend on whether the master cylinder is a dual chamber, or single chamber. If it's dual chamber, I think you are correct. If it's a single, then all 4 will have to be bled. Someone who knows more than me should chime in to answer this if I am mistaken.

351ClevelandC4, looks like you mightta just made O'Reilly a few bucks. They should send you a commission check!! THANKS for the help! And thanks to everyone else who helped!! I just love this place!

Old 11-22-2014, 10:12 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by RedTaurus94
351ClevelandC4, looks like you mightta just made O'Reilly a few bucks. They should send you a commission check!! THANKS for the help!
HA! I wish. That's one of the reasons I quit there. Pay wasn't what it should have been. But that wasn't the company, just the store manager. He was a *****. I still do my business with the company, just at a different store. I do believe it is the best chain for general parts.

Quick Reply: '72 Front Wheel Cylinders