Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2014, 07:34 PM
Senior User

DanielT28 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Loose steering still.

owned my truck 3 years. F350. Anyway I'm just wondering if the last piece to the puzzle will fix my loose steering. ? I'm thinking about a redhead steering box!

I've put on dual steering stabilizers. New tie rods. Drop pitman arm. Rebuilt steering column bearings. This only thing I haven't done is a new box. Just wondering if it's worth the whole "throwing parts at it" deal.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:21 AM
Freshman User

hijo202 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Loose steering

I had same issues. I did the red head and it made it tighter. Also check the steering shaft (from column to box) and the rag joint. You can rebuild it, I just replaced mine with a Flaming River shaft.

I ended up replacing all steering links/drag links with DOM tubing and Chevy TRE's. Mine were shot, and now I can just replace the TRE itself when needed and not the $$$ link that the Ford has. Hope this helps.
'97 F-250 Supercab, 4x4, Dana 60 swap, Intake, IDM Mod, TW 6 pos chip, FS2500 Oil By-pass, Turbo back exhaust, RSK w/ SD springs, 1.0 compressor housing, EBPV delete, Pedestal Mod, E-Fuel with "Tight-wad" regulator mod
Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM
Posting Guru

LeoJr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Why did you replace the pitman arm?
Old Today, 01:48 AM
Senior User

Thor'sHammer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Without the engine running, have someone lightly shake the wheel back and forth about 4-8 inches. While they are doing that, look at the rag joint at the steering shaft on the input side of the steering gearbox. Look for slack there. If it's good, have the assistant keep shaking the wheel while you grab the steering shaft on the input side of the gearbox and your other hand on the pitman arm. Feel for slack there. If there is, you can adjust a small amount out with the bearing adjuster located on top of the gearbox. If you don't feel a significant amount of slack there, have the assistant keep moving the steering (lightly back and forth like before) and inspect all of the rod ends in the steering for slack. If there isn't any there, inspect the ball joints for looseness. If you've had an alignment recently, check to see if the upper ball joint camber/caster sleeves are seated. Some inexperienced shops will torque the upper ball joint before the lower, allowing the lower ball joint to push the upper camber/caster sleeve off of its seat.
Old Today, 01:48 AM