Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Edge Evolution Question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 05:15 PM
fusefinder
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Evolution Question.

I recently purchased my truck and it came with an Edge Evolution "EEF1000" programmer. I am not in a financial position to upgrade or change at this time. Making due with what I currently have!
My question is what programs are you guys running? I'm looking for Best mileage coupled with performance.
My Truck:
4" turbo exhaust, Edge Evolution (just bumped up to Race program) are only modifications I know of, 315/75R16 tires, stock rims. Mostly highway but occasionally to town for Lowes/ Menards for building material.
My Use:
I do light towing (only a few times a year) one bike in an enclosed trailer or a pair of quads on a flatbed. All under 3000lbs total.

I'd kinda like to hear what program your running, mileage and setup.
Thanks!

Old 11-21-2014, 05:38 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,103 Likes on 2,165 Posts
DP F-5 and run in 80 econo tune 99.9 % of the time.
the edge programer is not highly regarded around here, as they tend to do nasty things to our trucks.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:09 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
My honest opinion and i do mean honest !!!!

RETURN IT TO STOCK PROGRAMMING !!!!!!
DO NOT RUN THAT ON YOUR TRUCK !!!

I would rather drive mine stock all day saving my tranny than have a small boost in power for the loss of a tranny.

I believe my Edge caused multiple things to happen in my truck. Others have said the same. I personally have had 3 units fail leaving me dead in the road from edge. The 4th one i have now is ONLY used for my gauges.

Fuel mileage i got better in stock than any tune with the edge. But best mileage was in 3 and when i towed it was in 2 or 1 depending on the weight. Stock for stuff over 10k

I would put it on flea bay or craigslist and sell it and get a dp, php, hydra, or something different.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:08 PM
fusefinder
Freshman User
So what exactly does the Edge do to ruin the tranny?
What did the Edge cause to happen in your truck?

Old 11-21-2014, 09:09 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Put it on Level 1, leave it, and drive it. No worries.

Thanks to those who haven't a clue what it does (and how it does it) that ruined its popularity.

Two questions for anybody who dares to answer them:

Why is it rumored that the EEF-1000 ruins transmissions?

Why is it rumored that the engine tuning is so bad (and underpowered)?

Old 11-21-2014, 09:30 PM
fusefinder
Freshman User
As I understand (with very limited knowledge) it changes shift patterns?
What else does or doesn't it do that the DP does or doesn't do?

Old 11-21-2014, 09:57 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Until someone utters some "forum facts" about your particular programmer, the only thing that I will warn you about (and why I said to program it and leave it alone) is that the cable that connects the device to the OBD2 port has been known to cause programming issues.....and when it happens during a reflash, you end up with a brain-dead truck until you contact Edge or the dealership for a reflash. Edge will have to send you a unit to reflash the PCM but they have GREAT customer support because of this known issue.

Reflash it to Level 1 in your driveway and if you ever feel the need to reflash it to stock or to another power level you should do it at home so you're not dead on the road somewhere. Otherwise, it's a great programmer.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:57 PM
fusefinder
Freshman User
At home is the only place I have ever changed the program, LOL that one just makes perfect sense to me no matter what programmer, just in case!
Why do you prefer/ recommend the LVL 1 (Tow) program, has that been the best mileage/ performance option you've found, or due to higher EGT temps with the others?
From what I've read don't all tuners give you higher EGT at higher HP tunes?
BTW it was at Race when I purchased it, (Didn't know it had one until found behind rear seat) moved to Tow when pulling Bike in trailer from OH to TN, and OH to NC, just moved back to Race...kinda like the better response but haven't tracked mileage yet.
Thanks for your input and experience with them, any more info you could share would be helpful Even in PM...plan on keeping truck and programmer for a while!

Old 11-22-2014, 08:08 AM
bstarz40
Freshman User
I had a edge15001 for my 2000 for over 2 yrs, ran it in 3 except when I towed my camper. then I ran it in tow. Never had any issuses with trans. or high egt. Now I have a hydra on the truck and I like the shift tune on fly which the edge didn't offer. but time will tell if I like the hydra stock tunes, might have to get custom tunes. Also got the best fuel milage on tune 3. more smoke on heavy throttle use but normal take offs and normal driving no smoke.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:24 AM
fusefinder
Freshman User
Thanks for responding bstarz40!

Old 11-22-2014, 04:58 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
I just wouldn't mess with an edge again.

First off the customer service was not that great. When i first got it i was interested in the "Custome tune " option. Where you can adjust shift points and pressures, fueling etc. I called edge twice asking about this option since its open for you as the consumer to use. I asked about the adjustments and was told " we cannot help you out there. Your on your own to figure it out as if we tell you then were liable if something happens to your truck " UMMMMM Red flag one for me. So i asked well whats a good starting point. And the answer same as before. So i didn't mess with it and used ONLY the preset tunes.
So how can someone sell you something with out helping you or at least give you advice on its use. Then called about adjusting the back light color. Trying to get it to match my dash light color. Asked and was told We have the feature on there so its adjustable so you can set it how you prefer. Asked if he new the percentages that could match best and was told basically the same thing and they don't do any type of data recording like that.

As for performance..... it did fairly well I'm not going to lie. It ran smooth and made good power.

My tranny guy said it was weird how it shifted to 3rd and locked the converter at the same time. He explained why that is not good to me ( i think added heat and stress on the TC but can't recall). All in all i had my tranny rebuilt about 40k after installing the edge.
Have over 100k on my rebuilt one with my DP.
As for reliability. On 3 accounts 1 about caused a major wreck the module failed. Im not sure what caused it or why but the truck would just shut off.
As a 1 year vet with my 7.3 i got the edge within the first 6mo. About 4mo later I'm driving home and sitting at a light and the truck just died. It restarted and made it about another mile then at 45mph it just shut off. No restart. So new to diesels and new to it all called a wrecker and off to the dealer it went. They unplugged the edge re flashed it and it fired back up. Sent back the edge and got another.

The next one did the same thing

The third one i was pulling across a 3lane hwy during 5pm traffic and just as i hit the gas it died. I basically made it half way across the first lane when it died. By time i figured out what happened in time to do anything was stop in the center of the middle lane. 2 big rigs rollin 65 about made me a sammich !!!! And i about shat my pants. The culprit once again was...... The Edge.
So i called and told them what happened and explained all 3 situations. Expecally the last and told them i was VERY unhappy with their product not to mention its failure about KILLED me. I asked for a total refund and id stop sending their junk back. They said no we can't do that sorry but we will send you another one to replace the one you have. HAHAHAHAHA sure send me a ticket to death id love that.

So they sent one and i only use it to pull codes on the fly and for my gauges.

So since then i got a DP Tuner and have had NO ISSUE PERIOD. Shifting on the fly no downloads you only feel safe doing at home because it could leave you stranded.

Hey do what you want and use what but if it were me id just not use it. Just sharing my experience with edge here. Hope your is better but not a good product in my eyes and not so great customer service.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:10 PM
fusefinder
Freshman User
So Baker... All this happened with your Edge Evolution "EEF1000" programmer? Because I can't do half of the things you were asking Customer Service to help you with.
My instructions do not recommend leaving the programmer hooked up other than programming, testing/troubleshooting, or retrieving codes.

This is the model I'm asking about. I have a 2006 model EEF1000, the revised model is 15000.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:44 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

I've had the Edge EVO in my Excursion for 5 years and 100k towing 10k tt all over the country for the last 2 1/2 years, now with 225K on the original tranny and still shifts perfect.

Just use common sense and watch your gauges, flush tranny every 30-40k.

I still want a different chip and use the evo for gauges. But might have a few upgrades first. Who knows? Might wait to see how the tranny does and upgrade that first when the time comes. It's been working well so far. Still like the f5 in my f250 better though.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:48 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Originally Posted by fusefinder
All this happened with your Edge Evolution "EEF1000" programmer? Because I can't do half of the things you were asking Customer Service to help you with.
My instructions do not recommend leaving the programmer hooked up other than programming, testing/troubleshooting, or retrieving codes.

This is the model I'm asking about. I have a 2006 model EEF1000, the revised model is 15000.
He is talking about a different model than what you currently have.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:31 PM
fusefinder
Freshman User
Going on about how the other models failed and all of their products are junk is kinda like saying Ford trucks are junk because a Ford Ranger 4cyl wont pull a 5th wheel uphill...but its a Ford truck right?

I gathered he had another model and complete different set up and I probably should not have added the sarcasm,but looking for input on this model Please!

I guess I should have added the picture first rather than just a model number.

Quick Reply: Edge Evolution Question.