Sponsored by:

Cree led lights????

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:03 AM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cree led lights????

Has anyone used them. Thinking of getting some for reverse lights and maybe to replace the fog lights too. They have them on amazon for 30 bucks for 2 18w lights

Old 11-21-2014, 09:00 AM
gots_a_sol
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Cree makes the actual led chip, not the entire light.

A side note, most folks selling cheap LED devices GREATLY exaggerate their output. So you need to realize if a tiny single led flashlight size light says 10000 lumens, thats a lie. The current hot chip from Cree is the XM-L2 which puts out about 1050 lumens at 10 watts.

Post a link to what you are looking at though.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:33 AM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Originally Posted by gots_a_sol
Cree makes the actual led chip, not the entire light. A side note, most folks selling cheap LED devices GREATLY exaggerate their output. So you need to realize if a tiny single led flashlight size light says 10000 lumens, thats a lie. The current hot chip from Cree is the XM-L2 which puts out about 1050 lumens at 10 watts. Post a link to what you are looking at though.
Ya i am not expecting more than 1200l max. Thats alot for a light and it was funny u said that because a buddy was showing me a light that puts out 6k off 2 aa batterys and its the size of a maglight haha. But here is the link
Amazon.com: 2 X 18w 1260lm Cree Spot Led Work Light Bar for Off-road SUV Boat 4x4 Jeep Lamp 4wd: Automotive Amazon.com: 2 X 18w 1260lm Cree Spot Led Work Light Bar for Off-road SUV Boat 4x4 Jeep Lamp 4wd: Automotive

Old 11-21-2014, 09:35 AM
7.3Excursion4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the backup CREE Lights from Retro Solutions. They were 49 for the pair but have lifetime warranty. Couldn't be happier with them

Old 11-21-2014, 09:47 AM
gots_a_sol
Elder User

Yea those aren't bad looking. I'd definitely use them for at least back up lights.

The other odd thing about the cheap lights is the beam patterns. The above light says it is a spot pattern but it is 30 degrees. That is flood pattern territory. A spot is usually 10 degrees or less.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:51 AM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Originally Posted by gots_a_sol
Yea those aren't bad looking. I'd definitely use them for at least back up lights. The other odd thing about the cheap lights is the beam patterns. The above light says it is a spot pattern but it is 30 degrees. Uhh, thats a flood pattern haha. A spot is usually 10 degrees or less.
ya i saw that too. More of a flood light

Old 11-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Originally Posted by 7.3Excursion4x4
I have the backup CREE Lights from Retro Solutions. They were 49 for the pair but have lifetime warranty. Couldn't be happier with them
I am glad to hear that. I am really leaning to get them now. Only problem i have is do i want to get them or should the wife get them for me for xmas lol

Old 11-21-2014, 10:24 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Those may work just fine at night, but I love the photos in virtually every ad of the light not quite shining on a table but still shining on a table, as if that's supposed to illustrate how good the light is...

I have a set of Rigid lights...not sure if they are cree or not, but I can say that something about LED bulbs make reflectors really stand out at night. To keep people from flashing their high-beams at me I have mine aimed so that the "top" of the light pattern hits about 40-50 feet in front of me (so basically pointing down) and just the castoff light will still light up reflectors a good 1/2 mile down the road.

With the cheaper brands I'd worry about the seal (will they remain dry inside after road spray, will the inside of the face fog up with humidity changes, etc.) and the quality of the housing/brackets. If you 'baby' your truck (no washboard roads, etc.) I would hope the internals would last a while, but if you drive on abusive roads, that could become an issue (quality of soldered wire connections, etc.).

It comes down to you betting against the elements really. For that price if you win the bet you've come away with a steal (and you need to report back to us periodically about the quality).

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:31 AM
gots_a_sol
Elder User
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
but I can say that something about LED bulbs make reflectors really stand out at night. To keep people from flashing their high-beams at me I have mine aimed so that the "top" of the light pattern hits about 40-50 feet in front of me (so basically pointing down) and just the castoff light will still light up reflectors a good 1/2 mile down the road.

I have a RI bar on my Xterra and I ended up putting a yellow filter on it because of how bad it reflected off of uhh reflective things. Even being off to the side of the road it is crazy how much light gets reflected back.

The yellow tones it down just enough to not blind myself completely.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:09 AM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
Those may work just fine at night, but I love the photos in virtually every ad of the light not quite shining on a table but still shining on a table, as if that's supposed to illustrate how good the light is... I have a set of Rigid lights...not sure if they are cree or not, but I can say that something about LED bulbs make reflectors really stand out at night. To keep people from flashing their high-beams at me I have mine aimed so that the "top" of the light pattern hits about 40-50 feet in front of me (so basically pointing down) and just the castoff light will still light up reflectors a good 1/2 mile down the road. With the cheaper brands I'd worry about the seal (will they remain dry inside after road spray, will the inside of the face fog up with humidity changes, etc.) and the quality of the housing/brackets. If you 'baby' your truck (no washboard roads, etc.) I would hope the internals would last a while, but if you drive on abusive roads, that could become an issue (quality of soldered wire connections, etc.). It comes down to you betting against the elements really. For that price if you win the bet you've come away with a steal (and you need to report back to us periodically about the quality). Good luck and keep us posted.
I will man. And i head the seals are not the best so i was thinking of getting some sealant caulk and caulk them. U think that would help. Only a few ppl said it was a proble. Maybe 1 out of 10

Old 11-21-2014, 11:20 AM
wrxin
Elder User
Originally Posted by Vince79vette
Has anyone used them. Thinking of getting some for reverse lights and maybe to replace the fog lights too. They have them on amazon for 30 bucks for 2 18w lights
Funny you should ask. I ordered a set of these yesterday. They arrive next week and we'll see how it goes. I want to replace the factory fog lights with these.

I'll let everyone know how it goes. Probably won't get to install them until Thanksgiving weekend.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G624XCW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G624XCW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 11-21-2014, 11:22 AM
wrxin
Elder User
Ya i am not expecting more than 1200l max. Thats alot for a light and it was funny u said that because a buddy was showing me a light that puts out 6k off 2 aa batterys and its the size of a maglight haha. But here is the link
Amazon.com: 2 X 18w 1260lm Cree Spot Led Work Light Bar for Off-road SUV Boat 4x4 Jeep Lamp 4wd: Automotive
Make sure you order two if you're buying these ones. Assuming you want two.

The link I posted earlier is for a pair.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:43 AM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Originally Posted by wrxin
Make sure you order two if you're buying these ones. Assuming you want two. The link I posted earlier is for a pair.
The one in my post that u quoted was for a pair. 27 shipped for 1 pair

Old 11-21-2014, 11:49 AM
Vince79vette
Elder User
I just noticed that they are the same but 2 different makers. Ones just little cheaper. Wonder how much different they are. Both look the same just one with a logo and one without

Old 11-21-2014, 12:06 PM
wrxin
Elder User
The one in my post that u quoted was for a pair. 27 shipped for 1 pair
Got it, sorry. There are some cree lights on Amazon sold as individuals and not pairs. Some of the customer reviews state that they were expecting a pair and got a single.

Quick Reply: Cree led lights????