6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Random questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 09:15 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
Random questions

First an update - drove my truck about 600 miles pulling 12k lbs one way and 14k pounds back. It ran great. Leaving in the morning for a 2000 mile trip and have a few questions:

1. For those who have followed my truck problems here, I still don't have any ICPV according to ScanGauge. Why would my truck seemingly run just fine?
2. Ditto re my IPR never going below 30 - is that a red flag that something is about to blow up on me, or can a truck operate just fine indefinitely with 32% IPR at idle?
3. I've read others talk about not shutting their trucks off immediately after a hard drive - they let it cool down or something. How long should I let mine idle before shut off? Is there a temperature I should let it get down to?
4.My truck's eot never went above 213 as I drove today pulling that load. I know that's within the approved range, but is it normal?
5. I'm headed up north to Indiana. The weather forecast is for lows in the teens. Will I need to add de-gel to my fuel? How about heating my block at night- is that required, because I don't know where I'd plug in. How do truckers heat their blocks when on the road, or do they just leave their trucks running?
6. Some of you may recall me describing a high rev-type sound coming out of my truck at times. I didn't know if it was the turbo, transmission, or fan clutch issue. Now that I got a SG, I am able to see that it typically occurs when the truck's EOT gets to 211, which makes me think its the fan clutch (the Ford tech also said my fan clutch was going out. Is it hard to replace those? Any vids on the process?

Old 11-20-2014, 09:35 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Look at the pins close in the icp sensor. I have seen the little black plastic insert come out and pins get bent. The connector was still snapped, just didn't have connection on one of the pins.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:44 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IHateCommieCars
3. I've read others talk about not shutting their trucks off immediately after a hard drive - they let it cool down or something. How long should I let mine idle before shut off? Is there a temperature I should let it get down to?
If you have a pryometer...below 500F and your good. Your wanting the turbo to spool down and keep oil pumped to it's bearings while it's hot. It's not a huge deal, but it will prolong the turbo.
Originally Posted by IHateCommieCars
5. I'm headed up north to Indiana. The weather forecast is for lows in the teens. Will I need to add de-gel to my fuel? How about heating my block at night- is that required, because I don't know where I'd plug in. How do truckers heat their blocks when on the road, or do they just leave their trucks running?
I run anti-gel in my fuel because I don't trust any of the local stations to treat their fuel. It wouldn't hurt to pick up some of those PowerService white bottles; the small bottle will treat 40 gallons. As long as your batteries, glow plugs and FICM/injectors are good...you should be fine. I've started mine a couple of times below zero without plugging it in. The truck ran rough for a bit, but you don't have to plug in the block heater. It just makes it easier on those cold mornings.

Before APU (Auxilary Power Units), truckers did leave their engines running all night. But these days they use a APU that generally is on the passenger side between the fuel tank and drive axles to keep the a/c or heat going all night...as well as keep the batteries charged & big engine warm.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:54 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good call Ford man, as far as the Block heater cord , Under the front bumper zip tied kind of tuck up inside the bumper close to the Passenger side fog lite. I ran mine through the light hole and zip tied to the front D-ring. in really freezing temps and if your having cold hard starts plugging in will help ya. Most truckers keep there rigs running but on Ours not good to Idle for long periods of time ,when your on the road long hauling and going to stop for the night or fuel just drive around the block low speed give that Turbo a chance to simmer down a little and Chill. I have seen guys just pull in and shutter down too

Old 11-20-2014, 10:34 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Make sure the pins are all the same length as well. Its easy to push a pin out of position when a connector is broken, as in backward deeper into the pigtail, won't connect or will intermittently.