1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

87 Ranger won't start again, thought I fixed it....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 02:26 PM
ameizl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 Ranger won't start again, thought I fixed it....

I'm new to this site, but I sure could use some help. My 82 yr old Dads fishing truck is an 87 Ranger 2.9L 4wd Auto - it's been a good little trouper but it's left him stranded several times now by not starting - replaced the starter (twice) new solenoid, new battery cables, new wires from solenoid to starter and it's been working like new. Until yesterday he was stranded again - when you hit the key there's nothing. No clicks or turn over. Batteries sparks so I think juice is there... We're thinking it could be ignition or is there a sensor in the transmission that could be wore out that prevents it from starting? It's been starting first time for the last month, now nothing. Any suggestions on what next?

Last edited by ameizl; 11-20-2014 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Fixing title
Old 11-21-2014, 07:37 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
When this occurs, try moving the shift lever through the PRNDL range with the key held to the START position. The starter relay power is routed through a switch on the side of the transmission that is closed only in P and N positions. That prevents starting the engine when the transmission is in gear. Sweeping through the positions may allow a flaky or mis-adjusted switch to close and apply power to the relay. If that works, you need a switch or an adjustment.
Another test to run is to use a screwdriver to short the small connector on the relay near the battery to the large connector that is connected to the + post on the battery. When you do that, you bypass all the safety switches, and the ignition switch.
If nothing happens when you jump the connectors (it WILL spark a bit, so be prepared) then you have further problems, such as a corroded cable or bad ground connection.
tom

Old 11-21-2014, 10:12 AM
ameizl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Tom! Nothing happened when moving the gear shift - but she cranked right over when I jumped the connectors - wasn't quite sure from your reply if that meant it would be a bad relay switch on transmission or if it would be ignition switch related? I sure appreciate your help... Helps to have it narrowed down to a couple of things.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:12 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
To test and determine the cause, you would have to follow the wire from the relay back to the transmission mounted switch. The switch is mounted where the selector lever is located, and operated by that lever. The switch is supposed to be closed in P & N only. If there is no power at the switch, you'd have to trace back to the ignition switch output connector. The ignition switch is mounted atop the steering column, down a bit from the lock cylinder. Over time, they can start to come apart and fail to function.
They are not expensive, but are mounted with twist-off bolts that have no head. You can file a 'flat' on the tapered surface and use vice-grips or an adjustable wrench instead of drilling and 'easy-out' tactic.
tom