Sponsored by:

installing 4th row seating

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 02:05 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnsammy
I don't know about strength but as a kid I rode in the back of a truck or in the back of a wagon without seatbelts. I came out ok and I am sure if you drive safe in a van or an Excursion you will be ok.
As a first responder, I can tell you that is NOT a wise bit of advice to pass out to people. Kids used to eat lead paint chips too, that doesn't mean they should continue to. Not to mention, we don't know what state the OP lives in, there could be very strict laws on how passengers can travel in their state. Doling out advice like that without knowing the full info could be promoting something that gets the OP arrested for child endangerment.

The real problem is how you are planning on controlling 9 kids in one car?
A tranquilizer gun comes to mind...

Until then you can also add straps under the frame mounts. There are a dozen ways to support a bench with 2 kids weighing only 300 pounds max to withstand the impact forces in any accident.
Sorry, but that statement has no root in actual facts. How on earth can you say that adding some straps will secure those kids? Do you have your own crash testing facility with full datalogging dummies to support that claim? "Any" accident? How on earth can you make that claim?

Old 11-21-2014, 02:14 PM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crash test rating are a joke. Saw crash test video of a ford focus at 60mph and that should have never been allowed to hit the road. Everyone had mult life threatening injuries. Best thing u can do for u and your family is to lift it a bit. I have seen a few accidents with lifted trucks and they usally end up better than the other car. Just my .02. I dont have kids but i would make sure that seat us strong as hell and bolted in a extremely secure way

Old 11-21-2014, 02:46 PM
mtnsammy
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
OK Here it goes again. I bow out. Everyone here is too smart for me. I am an official lurker now.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:11 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
This ought to please both sides... here's my .02

Your "hubby" (sorry, I just hate that word... no LOATHE) needs (wait, wants) that 4x4 and can't stand the thought of a van so let's pretend that the X is the only option. I say buy the 4th row seat of doom from hellseatsRus.com and try them out. Here's the part that will make the other half of the forum happy... after installing them that hubby of yours needs to ride around in the back for a few weeks by himself. In Basic Training we did some crazy stuff, but our Drill Instructor always went first to show us it wouldn't kill us and to show he was a soldier just like us. If your hubby *shiver* can do it and then cram those sweet little souls in the rear of the rig without a heavy heart more power to him. Just think, if there is an accident and the children are hurt, or worse... was it worth it to have 4 wheel drive? Was the savings of taking 1 vehicle worth that life?

On the other hand:

1. It is illegal.

2. It is dangerous

3. It would hinder the drivers rear view

4. You would (or should) always worry about what could happen

5. Almost 100% agree it's bad idea

and last but not least, my personal "should I do this test" (I use this in my life almost every day)... the "How would this look to others test".

Imagine that the seat is like changing a diaper in a parking lot. Some frown on it and some think it's great. Every time you're out in public you're going to be opening up the rear and loading the kids into the rear facing seats (Remember, those haven't been put in cars from the factory since Henry Ford died) and people will wonder what you're doing. Some will think "She's just doing what she has to do" and others will say "Does she have no shame? Those poor children have horrid parents."

Just food for thought. I don't and can't have children but if I did you couldn't pay me to put those in my truck. Hell, you couldn't give me those seats now, I would sooner throw them away then list them for sale on here!

Old 11-21-2014, 04:16 PM
wrxin
Elder User
All the debate about mounting aside for a sec, I have an issue with how high the children's knees are. The seat mounts pretty much flat on the floor so there is no place for legs to hang. We've all seen the slo-mo crash tests and how much one's head moves back and forth, even with a good seat belt. In my totally naive opinion, I would think that heads and knees don't impact each other well. In a rear end collision, the children's heads would most definitely hit their knees.

I also don't like that the seat belts are mounted to the seat. (yes the third row middle seat belt and side buckles are part of the factory seat but at least the shoulder part is attached to the car.)

Old 11-21-2014, 04:17 PM
wrxin
Elder User
Hey, one good thing I guess, they come with headrests, unlike the Ford 3rd row seat.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:42 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Devils advocate here..... what about the 6 door Excursions? Since they are custom made by outfitters and not factory... do they pose a risk.... I must say.. seeing them makes me DROOL!!!!!!!

-The Great

Old 11-21-2014, 05:05 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Clint, the custom shops like that are under the same umbrella as the limousine builders. Everything they do is inspected and re-inspected. The work is top notch as an accident with problems stemming from them would be enough to close any company.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:48 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Ha anyone notice that the OP is MIA?

Old 11-21-2014, 06:09 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by CLINT-THE-GREAT
[
Here are some pics of their seats in Excursions
That kid is frightening close to the tailgate when it's closed. That thing gets rear-ended, it's game-over.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:15 PM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by CLINT-THE-GREAT

Devils advocate here..... what about the 6 door Excursions? Since they are custom made by outfitters and not factory... do they pose a risk.... I must say.. seeing them makes me DROOL!!!!!!!

-The Great
Now that's what I want to get my hands on!!!

Old 11-22-2014, 12:56 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Also those shoulder harnesses are bad for the spine, they are mounted to low. Just more food for thought

Old 02-11-2016, 08:35 AM
SkyHigh05
New User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 7.3L With 4th Row Seat Install

I added the 4th row to my 2001 7.3L Diesel a little over a year ago. I opted to go forward facing and had a metal shop make custom brackets for the 4th row seat. It turned out really nice and everyone who sees it is amazed and says that the install looks factory.

The family loves it and we hauled 11 of us to Colorado to ski on Spring Break last year. We're going to do it again this March. I have detailed photos of the install, just haven't made the time to post the project yet.

THE EX!

View from the front passenger's seat looking back

Rear view

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-11-2016, 09:38 AM
2wdDezlX
Elder User
Originally Posted by SkyHigh05
I added the 4th row to my 2001 7.3L Diesel a little over a year ago. I opted to go forward facing and had a metal shop make custom brackets for the 4th row seat. It turned out really nice and everyone who sees it is amazed and says that the install looks factory.

The family loves it and we hauled 11 of us to Colorado to ski on Spring Break last year. We're going to do it again this March. I have detailed photos of the install, just haven't made the time to post the project yet.

THE EX!

View from the front passenger's seat looking back

Rear view

That looks good. Any pics on the lap belts added and the frame to mount to the floor?

Old 02-11-2016, 10:32 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 2wdDezlX
That looks good. Any pics on the lap belts added and the frame to mount to the floor?
Doesn't look like they do...looks like they are using the seat as the anchor for the belts.

Weight of the seat (~100lbs?) + the weight of the two kids in the seat ~100 - ~200 lbs?)...so let's say ~200 - ~300 lbs...65 mph to zero in an accident...that weight becomes what... ~13,000 - 19,500 lbs?

No laws requiring the company to do safety testing...no performance data on the metal used to make the seats...the reputation of that company (having AAA file an order to tell them to stop using them in their advertising)...

Sorry, I would never put my kids or anyone else's kids in those seats.

Quick Reply: installing 4th row seating