1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Building The Beast (phase 2)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 05:15 PM
RL250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I think I can stay awake long enough to answer those questions. Yes, Energy Suspensions bushings are good, but I would go with black. And I love my Monroe Sensatracs.
I'll try to find a source for the black set.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I just don't like the red gleaming from under the truck.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:08 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I always thought red was a stupid color for bushings.

If you want energy suspension bushings in black just add a G to the end of the part number when you search it.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:46 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Let's try this again:

And I'll go back and mod the previous post. But, let me know if it works for you.

<!-- [ame="http://youtu.be/B5mOIst5KPs"]
[/URL] -->

Old 11-22-2014, 08:52 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
This works!

Old 11-22-2014, 08:59 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Thanks. Not sure what I was thinking, or wasn't, but I don't know how to download a MOV file on my iPad, which is what I was using at the time. Once the fog of 100+ degree body temp lifted I realized it takes a real computer to download it, and then posting it to Youtube.

Critter - If you have a Youtube account you should be able to upload the movie from your phone to Youtube, capture the URL where it'll be available, and put that in a post using the globe/link icon.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:16 PM
RL250
Posting Guru
Critter - If you have a Youtube account you should be able to upload the movie from your phone to Youtube, capture the URL where it'll be available, and put that in a post using the globe/link icon.
I can't remember if I ever started one, but I use Supermotors.org to host my stuff. I have since 04 with my 73 Mercury Cougar XR7.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:25 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
If it hosts videos then that'll work. You just have to have a site, like YouTube, that will host a video as FTE doesn't host them.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:18 AM
RL250
Posting Guru
Red face

If it hosts videos then that'll work. You just have to have a site, like YouTube, that will host a video as FTE doesn't host them.
It hosts, but upload is through flash player. I can upload pics, but videos freezes.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:43 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
The old Adobe vs Apple battle. Bummer.

It is amazing how many sneaky little things manufacturers do that way - either on purpose or otherwise. I have a new-to-me Dell laptop with built-in wifi, but it refuses to stay connected to my wifi network. I've upgraded to the latest drivers, changed from Windows to Intel and back on who is managing the device, with no improvement. Then one day I remembered that my Apple MacBook wouldn't stay connected to my network when I first got it and I had to change from a D-Link router to an Apple router, which solved the problem. Since I still have the old router I put it back in service in addition to the Apple. Sure enough, the Dell never drops on it.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:46 AM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
I cant say on that with the extra weight. But I know on my F150 the stock brakes will throw you through the window.

If you want to improve your braking if you are not concerned about pad life or rotor life I have seen some companies selling pads and shoes that have a higher friction to them that improves their grip. Down side is they chew through rotors fairly quickly if you brake hard a lot. I thought of doing that with my '56 and '63 since I am keeping drum brakes but since ive drove customer cars with drum brakes with plain old stock pads I dont really see the need anymore.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:37 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Braking has come a LONG way since those days Rusty.

It is no more a matter of abrasion.
Newer quality pads are based on adhesion and do not destroy the rotors or drums.

Sure, you can still buy semi metallics , but unless you are just dirt broke and haven't the extra $20 or so there's no contest.
Those cheap pads will eat way more than $20 worth of rotors.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:28 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Braking has come a LONG way since those days Rusty.

It is no more a matter of abrasion.
Newer quality pads are based on adhesion and do not destroy the rotors or drums.

Sure, you can still buy semi metallics , but unless you are just dirt broke and haven't the extra $20 or so there's no contest.
Those cheap pads will eat way more than $20 worth of rotors.
Correct, when I made the switch to ceramic pads I wasnt too crazy about them because when cold they didnt bite as good as semi metallics but once they get hot they bite way better than semi metallics ever did for me. So I am switching everything over to ceramic as I do brake jobs.

But I am curious about this new friction material that I found out at work is being made, it is a hybrid that provides the benefits of semi metallics for not warping rotors or leaving high spots like ceramics can which causes shimmies in new cars with rack and pinions but provides the stopping power and low dust of ceramics.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:40 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Ceramic pads with copper don't have the abrasion problems of semi metallic (steel) pads while still providing something (copper) to conduct heat away from the face of the pad.
Helping -but not entirely eliminating- glazing and hotspots.

I don't find that ceramic pads need to be heated up like carbon fiber pads do.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:02 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Ceramic pads with copper don't have the abrasion problems of semi metallic (steel) pads while still providing something (copper) to conduct heat away from the face of the pad.
Helping -but not entirely eliminating- glazing and hotspots.

I don't find that ceramic pads need to be heated up like carbon fiber pads do.
really on the cermaic pads? I noticed a considerable difference in cold braking between semi metallic and ceramic. But then again I dont change pads that often the ceramics I have on my Mercury were put on back in 08 and they are still like new.

Quick Reply: Building The Beast (phase 2)