6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2015 F-250 burnt rubber odor

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 08:57 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JC F250
...I just purchased a 250 6.7L that has a horrible smell that started yesterday...
Originally Posted by SAMs 250
I have a 2015 250 6.7 liter also, I have had the same burning rubber smell on three occasions...
Originally Posted by Brady84
I have had the same smell once with my 2015...
Originally Posted by Dakster
3700 miles on my 2015 now... I still get the smell if I park after a regen just completed...
Hi gang,

You can always have your dealership check things out if you're concerned; additionally, I'm always here to help if you'd like to get me involved.

Originally Posted by PlayersZ28
I noticed the burning rubber smell on the weekend when I parked after an hour drive...
Hi PlayersZ28,

Since you're in Canada, you can get assistance from my Canadian colleagues on the forum: FordServiceCA. Here's a link to their profile: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Profile: FordServiceCA

Crystal

Old 01-22-2015, 08:14 AM
BIG EOD Johnson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sales people and the service manager really have no idea. After doing some experiments on my own and talking to co-workers who also have F250s, our best guess is the exhaust is just doing it's thing. Other wise someone installed a catalytic converter from a chrysler K-car under my 2015 F-250. Of course this is just a guess but since Ford keeps "improving" their trucks and the Ford mechanics are always playing catch up on the new trucks we 9the customer) are left to fend for ourselves. No fault on the mechanics but the trucks are getting impossible to work on. I have bought probably 8 new Ford trucks over the years but I am on my last new Ford truck.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:44 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey big Johnson, u mad? I think you need to break the truck in more before you let things get to you that bad?

What's your favorite trailer? Find a way to drive with a heavy load for 500 miles. These trucks need to get hot and worked. My truck now has 12,500 on it and my mpg seems to be coming around, smells are gone.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:52 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
That smell is normal - the dealer has addressed all my concerns too. Most are cold weather related and this is my first winter in Alaska, having just moved from South Florida.

Even a new car has that new exhaust burning smell the first few hundred miles you drive it.

LOL on the k-car catalytic. Drove one of those at work for awhile 20 years ago.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:03 PM
BIG EOD Johnson
New User
@ ruschjj: not made just annoyed. My first truck was an animal. I used it to pull logs out of the woods with it and it Never failed or got stuck. If it ran a little rough you spent $15 for plugs, wires, and a new fuel filter, worked on it in your driveway, and it was running great by Monday morning. Now it seems to take a masters degree to change the oil. It seems like there is a ton of things that can go wrong with the new trucks. I looked at the new F150 and they start out at $40K. I have always been a ford guy and I will be one in the future but that price tag for a smaller engine, higher maintenance/repair costs, and a truck that just does not feel "Ford Tough" was just a bit too much. I am already looking for an old ford to make my project truck. So no, not mad. Just very disappointed by the Ford company.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:04 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok good. I hope your truck grows on you. Those 150's are nice but dang they're getting expensive too. My wife wants one and the pricing is prohibitive for us right now. If my truck wasn't a business vehicle I'd never be able to afford one like I have. Y'all that are fortunate enough to own these personally blow me away. Last new vehicle I purchased was a 2008 expedition xlt 5.4 at $29,500. Try to get that deal now?!

Old 01-23-2015, 04:23 PM
JetExpress_6.7
Senior User
Ok I have the same problem folks...only difference is the model year. My 2014 F250 has this same burnt rubber odor nearly every time I drive it now. My commute is around an hour and even shorter trips induce the stench. Break-in mileage is not the answer here...just rolled over 30,000. Would appreciate some insight on this, for a fix or maybe just peace of mind. Thanks

Old 01-23-2015, 05:50 PM
JetExpress_6.7
Senior User
Ok I have the same problem folks...only difference is the model year. My 2014 F250 has this same burnt rubber odor nearly every time I drive it now. My commute is around an hour and even shorter trips induce the stench. Break-in mileage is not the answer here...just rolled over 30,000. Would appreciate some insight on this, for a fix or maybe just peace of mind. Thanks

Old 01-27-2015, 08:15 PM
2015F350
Senior User
Hi everybody, just noticed the same smell for the first time today. After a 1.5 hour drive home from work, I noticed a message before stopping "Cleaning Exhaust Filter". Drove for another 5-6 miles. Stopped to get the mail and noticed the burnt rubber smell coming from the driver's side of the truck. Hopefully it is connected to the REGEN and not something else. I have 4600 miles on my truck.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:01 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 2015F350
Hi everybody, just noticed the same smell for the first time today. After a 1.5 hour drive home from work, I noticed a message before stopping "Cleaning Exhaust Filter". Drove for another 5-6 miles. Stopped to get the mail and noticed the burnt rubber smell coming from the driver's side of the truck. Hopefully it is connected to the REGEN and not something else. I have 4600 miles on my truck.
I can tell everybody what the problem is....The DPF!!!

Old 01-28-2015, 04:38 PM
doublenot7
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AFAIK this is normal. I also get the burnt rubber smell after I park and a regen. Been doing it for 80K miles and still does.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:02 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm fairly certain it's got to do with regens. Mine does it whenever I pull into the driveway in the middle of a regen. It was worse when new and I rarely notice it now. What I don't understand is why my 2014 does this when my 2011 never did.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:58 PM
SultanGris
Elder User
Yea I forget the temp but those regens get super hot, I had that smell a few times as well. Don't park in tall grass or you'll have a fire. I deleted emissions on mine and got rid of that problem.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:09 PM
JetExpress_6.7
Senior User
I've even had the smell without shutting the engine off though. If the problem is stopping the regen mid-cycle, that wouldn't be happening if I don't shut it off...I pulled into Walmart two days ago and left the truck run, lo and behold, smelled like a hot dragstrip under my bed. I'm not totally sold on the regen excuse..

Old 01-30-2015, 12:04 PM
SultanGris
Elder User
Originally Posted by JetExpress_6.7
I've even had the smell without shutting the engine off though. If the problem is stopping the regen mid-cycle, that wouldn't be happening if I don't shut it off...I pulled into Walmart two days ago and left the truck run, lo and behold, smelled like a hot dragstrip under my bed. I'm not totally sold on the regen excuse..
The problem isn't stopping the regen mid task, the problem is the regen is happening in the first place. Temps are from 700-1100 degrees when this happens to burn out the particulates caught in the exhaust filter. When something is that hot you're gonna smell it. It's hotter when you stop, and I believe the truck aborts regen if you aren't going a certain speed so stopping and letting it run doesn't complete the cycle, you have to keep moving, preferably at highway speeds.

Quick Reply: 2015 F-250 burnt rubber odor