6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2015 F-250 burnt rubber odor

Old 02-01-2015, 09:59 AM
Jethrone
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too have been getting the occasional burnt rubber smell. I haven't had it enough to isolate the location, although I believe it in the front end. My first thought was brakes...it's going in Monday for it's first checkup so we'll see if there are any surprises.

2015 F350 Lariat
5100kms and she seems to love Canadian winters...so far

Old 02-02-2015, 12:18 PM
JetExpress_6.7
Senior User
Originally Posted by SultanGris
The problem isn't stopping the regen mid task, the problem is the regen is happening in the first place. Temps are from 700-1100 degrees when this happens to burn out the particulates caught in the exhaust filter. When something is that hot you're gonna smell it. It's hotter when you stop, and I believe the truck aborts regen if you aren't going a certain speed so stopping and letting it run doesn't complete the cycle, you have to keep moving, preferably at highway speeds.
That makes sense that it would abort the cycle below certain speeds, I hadn't thought of it like that before. It just concerns me that it might be something else other than that. That's why I mentioned that I have 30k miles on it, not like some of the other guys reporting here with under 10,000 or so. My "break in smells" should be gone by now, but who knows, it might be something that will continue for the life of the truck.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:13 PM
FordServiceCA
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by Jethrone
I too have been getting the occasional burnt rubber smell..2015 F350 Lariat 5100kms and she seems to love Canadian winters...so far

I can get your regional customer service manager to help, Jethrone. Please PM VIN, registered name on the vehicle, daytime phone number, and servicing dealer info.

Kwasi

Old 02-04-2015, 09:52 AM
loft306
New User
I too have the Burnt rubber and the re-burnt rubber smell im going on 5,000 miles i get it when coming to a stop i can smell it good it has never been associated with active regen. i get it plowing i get it coming off the highway it just stinks and i get it through the vents, i'm still wondering what it melting.... to me it smells like burnt rubber and or bittering agent/burning plastic sometimes or re-burnt rubber. My brakes are fine its not brake smell i get it even if i walk it all the way down with the gears using no brakes.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:39 AM
Rod Bensken
Senior User
Mine has done this 3 times in the last 8 weeks or so. First time freaked me out. On all 3 times I got the cleaning message 10 miles or so from home. Pulled her in the garage a shut her off. I'm going to mention it to my dealer, but I'm pretty sure it's because I shut her down in the cleaning process.

Last edited by Rod Bensken; 02-04-2015 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Added note. The smell was strongest at the exhaust tips.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:20 PM
loft306
New User
i'm wondering if its the exhaust mounts? heading to the car wash to get the ice off so i might be able to see something. One of the shovel crews is hard core Chevy(gassers) and i get nothing but grief from em for the burning rubber smell that permeates the truck inside and out all day/night long.

I wont be at the dealer till after snow season unless it rides in on the Hook.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:48 AM
SultanGris
Elder User
Originally Posted by loft306
i'm wondering if its the exhaust mounts? heading to the car wash to get the ice off so i might be able to see something. One of the shovel crews is hard core Chevy(gassers) and i get nothing but grief from em for the burning rubber smell that permeates the truck inside and out all day/night long.

I wont be at the dealer till after snow season unless it rides in on the Hook.
Just tell him his Chevy doesn't have enough power to generate that smell, lol

Old 02-05-2015, 08:29 PM
Jethrone
Freshman User
Something new today...Halfway to work (about 8 mins into a 20 min drive), I had an intense smell of burning electrical wires, to the point that I was looking for a safe spot to pull off the road as I was looking for smoke and flames. Nothing like the smell following a regen but obviously no fire. It was -25c, and I checked the info display and there was no indication of a regen occurring. No apparent brake issue, smoke, leaks, etc. Considering all windows were rolled up and I was driving at 65kms/h it was quite unnerving (having been in a vehicle that did catch fire years ago). No issue since, and I haven't been able to recreate the situation. It did come out of the garage 3 days earlier for servicing but I would have expected something immediately following, not 3 days later.
Will continue to monitor and discuss with the service manager as things occur. I'm crossing my fingers that it was 'nothing'. It's been great otherwise

Old 02-05-2015, 09:10 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Check all of your interior electrical accessories just to be sure (door locks, windows, etc) - including the 110v outlets if equipped.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:02 AM
SultanGris
Elder User
There really isn't much indication of regen occurring. A message flashes on the dash for about half a second, easy to miss. One way to tell however is that your instant fuel economy will be about half of normal

Old 03-27-2015, 08:50 AM
thuck50
New User
700 Miles on the 2015 F-350, 6.7

I have that same issue, smells like plastic is burning.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:59 PM
FFJamison
New User
My new '15 is doing the same thing with only 2k miles on it. The other day it came in through the AC vents so bad I was coughing and choking trying to get the windows down.
NOT COOL FORD - I have yet to see an answer on here as to what the problem is.
Since I have children I haul around with me if the dealer cant get this fixed Ill soon be a Duramax guy.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:04 PM
FFJamison
New User
My '15 with 2k miles on it has the same smell. So bad coming through the vents the other day that I was coughing and choking trying to get the windows down.
Seems no one has gotten an answer on here as to why yet.
NOT COOL FORD.
Im remembering why I became a Toyota guy years ago... IF this keeps up and the dealer cant figure it out Ill soon be a Chevy or Dodge guy.
Not gonna have my kids breathing that crap.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:25 PM
doublenot7
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only get that when I shut off the truck in regen.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:40 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FFJamison
My new '15 is doing the same thing with only 2k miles on it. The other day it came in through the AC vents so bad I was coughing and choking trying to get the windows down...
Welcome to the forum, FFJamison! I want to get the odor you're experiencing on the radar of your regional customer service manager. Since you're a new member, you may not have access to PMs yet. Send an email with your details to custserv@ford.com; I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. Please put my name ("Crystal") in the subject line and post here once you've sent it.

Crystal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 F-250 burnt rubber odor