6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Premium Care, Diesel Care… or Both?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Icthus in AK
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Premium Care, Diesel Care… or Both?

Sorry, this has probably been asked a bazillion times. I'm ready to spend thousands of dollars on (potentially worthless) coverage, but don't know what I need.

Truck is a 2013 F250 6.7L PSD w/ 17k miles (still under factory warranty).

Is Diesel Care separate from Premium Care (as in Diesel Care covers ONLY the diesel-related or powertrain-related components)?

Looking at the matrix on FloodFord ESP's site, it appears that:
1. PremiumCARE ($0 deductible, 8-yr, 125k warranty) is $1740.
2. Diesel EngineCARE ($0 deductible, 7-yr, 200K warranty) is $2,250.

Is $4k in $0 deductible warranty ($125k everything BUT diesel/$200k diesel) good? Is Diesel EngineCARE worth it considering the emissions components are NOT covered? I DO plan to keep this truck to 20 years of 400k miles, whichever is first...

Thanks for your comments & suggestions!

If it matters, I'm in AK and we STILL don't have snow. Stupid liberals--it's gotta' be their fault….

Old 11-18-2014, 07:11 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still haven't made up my mind on this either... Watching with interest!

Also covered in the snow you should have gotten!!! LOL

Old 11-19-2014, 06:54 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I went with the 3/36k Premiumcare warranty through Ziegler Ford, and am more than happy with the coverage and cost. I didn't have the option of going to 200k on the diesel powertrain, seeing as how I didn't purchase my truck new, but imo, seeing as how you've got a '13, and we're unaware of any "diesel engine/powertrain" issues with those powerplants, you may be over-buying warranty, at the 200k plan.

Honestly, you'd probably be fine with purchasing the PremiumCare, that's all I'd do, in your situation. And on the emissions components, according to the Ford doc, all components but the catalyst itself are covered:

http://www.factoryplans.com/assets/c...remiumCARE.pdf

Hope that helps,

Old 11-19-2014, 07:19 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Icthus in AK
Sorry, this has probably been asked a bazillion times. I'm ready to spend thousands of dollars on (potentially worthless) coverage, but don't know what I need.

Truck is a 2013 F250 6.7L PSD w/ 17k miles (still under factory warranty).

Is Diesel Care separate from Premium Care (as in Diesel Care covers ONLY the diesel-related or powertrain-related components)?

Looking at the matrix on FloodFord ESP's site, it appears that:
1. PremiumCARE ($0 deductible, 8-yr, 125k warranty) is $1740.
2. Diesel EngineCARE ($0 deductible, 7-yr, 200K warranty) is $2,250.

Is $4k in $0 deductible warranty ($125k everything BUT diesel/$200k diesel) good? Is Diesel EngineCARE worth it considering the emissions components are NOT covered? I DO plan to keep this truck to 20 years of 400k miles, whichever is first...

Thanks for your comments & suggestions!

If it matters, I'm in AK and we STILL don't have snow. Stupid liberals--it's gotta' be their fault….
I am also thinking about this.. 2012 F350, just hit yr 2, at 20k miles.
as I understand it they build on each other..

engine (diesel care)
+drivetrain (powertrain)
+electrical+suspension+a/c+heat (basecare)
+hitech (power seat,windows, ...) (extracare)
+emissions+audio+safety (premiumcare)

so if you want coverage for dpf/doc/scr/def you have to go to premium care. (or pay sometime to delete it)

Old 11-19-2014, 07:34 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I had the ESP on my 05 and it more than paid for itself and not just in the diesel end of it. Everything on these vehicles today are electronic and/or computer driven and are expensive to fix even if you can do the labor your self. It boils down to ESP, the devil you do know or no coverage, the devil you don't know. Fixed cost or potentially the skys the limit.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:28 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by sdetweil
I am also thinking about this.. 2012 F350, just hit yr 2, at 20k miles.
as I understand it they build on each other..

engine (diesel care)
+drivetrain (powertrain)
+electrical+suspension+a/c+heat (basecare)
+hitech (power seat,windows, ...) (extracare)
+emissions+audio+safety (premiumcare)

so if you want coverage for dpf/doc/scr/def you have to go to premium care. (or pay sometime to delete it)
hm.. can't edit my post

diesel care is 8yr/200,000 miles
the others max out at 125,000 miles

so, it looks like you have to pay for both to get non-engine to 125,000 miles and engine only from 125,000-200,000 miles..
all max 8 years elapsed from original new purchase date.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:03 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Using your numbers, 20,000 miles per year (20 years & 400,000 miles) you will be out of ESP miles just after your 6th year. No need to purchase the 7th and 8th year of PremiumCARE. That should bring this cost down some.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:43 AM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW I was just in the same boat and decided on the Diesel Care Total warranty. I too plan on keeping the truck long term and am financially able to handle smaller repair costs out of warranty such as the transmission or DPF. The big costs start to add up once you get into the engine so I wanted to make sure that was covered. I had a thread on this a couple months back if you wanted to check it out.
Here is the link. Best of luck.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-you-why.html

Old 11-22-2014, 09:22 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Hey fellas I am a bit confused........ I am looking at trading my 2012 6.2 for a '15 6.7 and I would also look into some extra protection for this outrageously priced vehicles!

My question is ..... Why would you buy the ESP when the truck is new? Why not purchase it towards the end of the factory warranty?

If things work out and I make the move I also plan to keep the truck for a long time and want the big items covered.

There is so much to look at I just feel lost.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:06 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Amelio
Hey fellas I am a bit confused........ I am looking at trading my 2012 6.2 for a '15 6.7 and I would also look into some extra protection for this outrageously priced vehicles!

My question is ..... Why would you buy the ESP when the truck is new? Why not purchase it towards the end of the factory warranty?

If things work out and I make the move I also plan to keep the truck for a long time and want the big items covered.

they charge more when u buy it later in the produce lifetime.. more risk over shorter time

| sorry, acronym got me.. ESP = Service Plan. (not warranty)
| no idea why you would buy an ESP, but thats just me

Old 11-22-2014, 10:14 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
You can purchase ESP before 3/36 runs out and still get a nice price. No reason I can think of to purchase at truck purchase time, other than you can put the cost into your loan and forget about it.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:29 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I purchased mine (ESP) with the extended warranty at the time of purchase, I can agree with waiting on the warranty, but why wait on the Extended Service Plan? I mean if you pay for service visits the first 3 / 36, why worry about it after that? (6 for one......half of dozen for others I suppose...)

Old 11-22-2014, 10:31 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster

I think you are referring to the warranty and not the service plan......

Old 11-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Amelio
Senior User
I believe you are and I am confusing the 2..... The service plan I would not be worried about as I do my own services.

I am more concerned about all the crap that can go wrong with the trucks so that would be the extended warranty.

So do they charge extra for the extended warranty later on.

To me it just does not make sense to buy it when the truck is new since the factory warranty is there.

If they do charge more at the end of the factory warranty what type of increased costs are we looking at? Thanks!

Old 11-22-2014, 11:19 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
I believe you are and I am confusing the 2..... The service plan I would not be worried about as I do my own services.

I am more concerned about all the crap that can go wrong with the trucks so that would be the extended warranty.

So do they charge extra for the extended warranty later on.

To me it just does not make sense to buy it when the truck is new since the factory warranty is there.

If they do charge more at the end of the factory warranty what type of increased costs are we looking at? Thanks!
As far as the extended warranty, not sure what the increased cost (if any) would be, mine was cheaper than advertised, by a pretty good margin, by me purchasing early (with the vehicle purchase). I'm sure they got me somewhere else though! LOL, But a bunch of folks on here seem to purchase theirs towards the end of the factory warranty, I'm sure there are a lot of places to purchase online that will be comparable to getting it with the new truck.

Quick Reply: Premium Care, Diesel Care… or Both?