1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

No heat in cab

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 02:00 PM
82fordowner
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No heat in cab

Hey guys or gals I have no heat in my 82 ford f100 w/ 300 6cyl. I back flushed the heater core put in new thermostat last year replaced heater hoses and radiator hoses, and I still have no heat, and this sucks living in Michigan. I put a new blower on last week just can't figure it out. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Old 11-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Make sure the engine is warming up. You can do this several ways.

1. Start it cold with the rad cap off. If you see coolant moving, the thermostat is stuck open.

2. If you see no movement, put the cap on and let it warm up. The top rad hose should stay cold for a long time, while the heater hoses get hot. If the top hose slowly warms with the other hoses, the thermostat is stuck open.

3. If everything is warming up good, the heater hoses should get very hot, almost too hot to touch. See if both are getting hot. If not, you core may be clogged.

4. If both heater hoses are very hot, then all you need to do is blow air through the core to get heat. So start checking for airflow. Since it's been cold we have had several of these threads recently, and people with no or low airflow have usually found the A/C evap coil inside the duct clogged, or there is a air blend door problem letting cold air bypass the heater core.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:37 AM
82fordowner
Mountain Pass
No heat

Ok Dave I have probably a dumb question, when I first got the truck it has never had real good heat now when I got the truck I removed the heater blower and the mice had built a nest in around the heater core. I removed all I could see and feel around the core. Now my question is could them little critters have built a nest BEHIND the heater core where I couldnt get real good and my whole problem is the fan isn't blowing threw the heater core good is why I'm not getting any heat or very little! And is it hard to completely remove the core? Does it remove from inside the cab? Or do I remove the heater core- blower fan housing under the hood? Thank you for any help Fred.....

Old 11-19-2014, 08:05 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Depends on whether you have dealer or factory-installed air. Pull the glove box liner and see if you have a plastic plate held on with 8-10 screws. If so, remove them and you should be looking at the heater core's other side.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:17 AM
82fordowner
Mountain Pass
No heat

Gary it does NOT have air

Old 11-19-2014, 08:45 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I don't know how a heat-only heater core is accessed. But, reach up under the glove box and see if there's an access plate or a part that appears to come off with removal of several screws around the perimeter.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:55 AM
82fordowner
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I don't know how a heat-only heater core is accessed. But, reach up under the glove box and see if there's an access plate or a part that appears to come off with removal of several screws around the perimeter.
Ok I'll check it out, it can't be real hard being heat only. Ty

Old 11-19-2014, 09:17 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Hope it is easy.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:30 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
It's not difficult but it's time-consuming:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ater-core.html

Old 11-19-2014, 02:24 PM
82fordowner
Mountain Pass
No heat

Originally Posted by ctubutis
It's not difficult but it's time-consuming:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ater-core.html
Can the heater core be plugged and the heater hoses still be hot? I checked and the heater core is free of debrie behind the core. I've checked and changed everything except the heater core. Thanks

Old 11-19-2014, 02:33 PM
Franklin2
If the heater core is plugged inside, there will be no coolant flow through it, so the hot water from the engine will not be able to flow through and warm the hoses or the core very well. They may get warm, but not hot like they are supposed to.

The A/C equipped trucks are very easy to get to the heater core. Since yours is heat only, you have to pull the complete housing off the firewall to get to the heater core.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:06 PM
82fordowner
Mountain Pass
No heat

Originally Posted by Franklin2
If the heater core is plugged inside, there will be no coolant flow through it, so the hot water from the engine will not be able to flow through and warm the hoses or the core very well. They may get warm, but not hot like they are supposed to.

The A/C equipped trucks are very easy to get to the heater core. Since yours is heat only, you have to pull the complete housing off the firewall to get to the heater core.
Ok I got the core housing loose, I ran the truck to get the temp up, the hoses to the heater core are hot, but when I check the heater core it is barely warm? Any ideas? If both hoses are hot I would think the heater core would be but its not it is only warm. I have never had good heat it has always been Luke warm. I have replaced everything except the heater core and water pump. New thermostat hoses radiator. It has got me stumped. When I got the truck it had set a couple years don't know what that would have to do with it.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Franklin2
I think you need a new heater core. That's the only thing left and it's not getting hot.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:15 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I agree. Somehow the coolant is bypassing the majority of the heater core and cycling back to the engine.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:09 PM
82fordowner
Mountain Pass
No heat

Thank you guys, I may replace the heater core and go from there. I'll let you know what I find if I happen to get the heat working. Again thanks.

Quick Reply: No heat in cab