2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doors dont unlock when i pull out the key anymore

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 04:07 PM
kylegabbert
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doors dont unlock when i pull out the key anymore

I have a 2004 Screw lariat. When i turn the truck off, the locks no longer unlock automatically. Also when I press the unlock on my key fob, the headlights flash, but the doors do not unlock. And the driver side lock/unlock switch is no longer working either.. could this be a broken wire?

Old 11-23-2014, 05:04 PM
renegade734
Junior User
I didn't know that the doors auto-unlock on the F-150. I have that feature on my Saturn Aura, and have always wanted it to do so on my truck. The owner's manual is silent on this feature. Does anyone out there know how to enable/disable this feature? Inquiring minds want to know ...

Old 11-23-2014, 06:36 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
My 2007 FX4 has never automatically unlocked when I pulled a key out of anything ..... nor would I ever wish for it to.

But then, I have never relied on the "smart unlocking feature", I always have two keys on me before I drive a vehicle
and I know the key pad codes (and have same recorded in a secret external place).

Below is a quote from the 2007 F150 Users Guide on page 129:

Smart unlocking feature
The smart unlocking feature helps
prevent you from locking yourself
out of your vehicle.
With the key in any ignition
position:
• The driver’s door will
automatically unlock if it is locked
by the driver’s power lock control
while the driver’s door is open.
The vehicle may still be locked with
the key in the ignition, and performing one of the following actions:
• Pressing the manual lock button on the door.
• Operating the remote entry transmitter.
• Operating the keyless entry keypad.
• Operating the driver’s door with a key.
Not sure if it'll help y'all?

I do like the auto lock feature, but I don't rely on it either .... I lock the doors myself anyway.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:32 PM
kylegabbert
New User
Originally Posted by tbear853
My 2007 FX4 has never automatically unlocked when I pulled a key out of anything ..... nor would I ever wish for it to.

But then, I have never relied on the "smart unlocking feature", I always have two keys on me before I drive a vehicle
and I know the key pad codes (and have same recorded in a secret external place).

Below is a quote from the 2007 F150 Users Guide on page 129:

Not sure if it'll help y'all?

I do like the auto lock feature, but I don't rely on it either .... I lock the doors myself anyway.
Thank you, But I think it has to do with my aftermarket alarm system though.. I used to be able to unlock the doors from the key fob, and now it no longer works. Also my keyless entry does not work it either. It lights up, but does not unlock anything. My passager side lock switch works to lock and unlock all doors, but the driver side switch does nothing. I know it isn't the switch itself, so I think it has to be the wires that go to the driver side lock somewhere. But I have no idea where to even start looking. Any help would be appreciated..

Old 11-29-2014, 12:20 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would start by disabling or disconnecting the aftermarket alarm system and see if all works as it should. The PATS system and aftermarket alarms and remote start system sometimes causes problems.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:08 PM
kylegabbert
New User
Originally Posted by Greg B
I would start by disabling or disconnecting the aftermarket alarm system and see if all works as it should. The PATS system and aftermarket alarms and remote start system sometimes causes problems.
I'll try that thank you, but with it disconnected wouldn't the locks still not work because the lock wires are spliced into the wires going to the reciever?

Old 12-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
With the alarm system disconnected or disabled, the receiver would not do anything. Using the original key fob the locks should work if the alarm system is the problem. If it still doesn't work, the alarm system probably isn't the problem. How old is the battery? A battery going bad can cause the electrical system to do weird stuff. As would a bad ground in the system. Things might be easier to diagnose with the alarm system disconnected. A wire that's broken in the harness going to the driver door can cause problems as well. The Ford shop manual can give you the specific diagnostic routine to isolate the problem. I can only give suggestions on what to check.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:28 PM
kylegabbert
New User
Originally Posted by Greg B
With the alarm system disconnected or disabled, the receiver would not do anything. Using the original key fob the locks should work if the alarm system is the problem. If it still doesn't work, the alarm system probably isn't the problem. How old is the battery? A battery going bad can cause the electrical system to do weird stuff. As would a bad ground in the system. Things might be easier to diagnose with the alarm system disconnected. A wire that's broken in the harness going to the driver door can cause problems as well. The Ford shop manual can give you the specific diagnostic routine to isolate the problem. I can only give suggestions on what to check.
Thank you for the help, I forgot to mention that I have a python remote start/remote keyless entry installed. I think that may be the problem. I found the python reciever, amd when I press the button on my keys to unlock the doors, the reciever makes a clicking noise, but doesn't unlock doors. I figured a wiring issue because also my driver door master lock switch doesn't work at all, I pulled it off and put it on the passenger side and it worked fine. So I know it isn't the switch itself. And I read that the python reciever has to splice into the lock and unlock wiring so that the key can remotely lock and unlock them. This wiring is just a confusing subject for me.. thank you for you help

Old 12-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
A friend of mine has a Viper alarm/remote start on his '03 SD. He had some problems. For some reason it started on its own. When he shut it down it wouldn't start. He removed the fuse for the Viper and it started. He took the truck back to the installer and they fixed the problem. I don't remember what they did to fix it, but he hasn't had any problems since.