Sponsored by: Moser

Installed H.E.I. dizzy on my 79 f 100 351-400m

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 06:47 PM
C-AREVALO
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed H.E.I. dizzy on my 79 f 100 351-400m

Well decided to install a hei distributor on my 79 f 100 shortbed. It actually just installed it out of the box and it actually worked great. Now before anyone says "you should of left the duraspark" lemme tell you guys why i did away with duraspark ignition. I bought this truck and immediately found that the wiring was hacked and my truck almost burn down to a crisp. So i bit the bullet and bought this dizzy and i like the way it works. Any suggestions on how to check if my curve is right any input is really appreciated it...

H.E.I dizzy on a 79 f 100 351-400m:

Old 11-16-2014, 06:54 PM
C-AREVALO
Freshman User
Sorry for the ugly engine bay lol still a wprk in progress...

Old 11-16-2014, 07:10 PM
84espy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by C-AREVALO
Sorry for the ugly engine bay lol still a wprk in progress...
Same reason I installed mine. At least yours cleared the stock gooseneck. Can't tell you anything about the curve.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:40 PM
C-AREVALO
Freshman User
Ok thanks...

Old 11-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
As a start on the "curve" did the distributor manufacturer provide information on total mechanical advance? You probably need around 12 degrees initial and 35 degrees total with vacuum disconnected (35-12=23 degrees mechanical advance). You can check with an adjustable or "dial back" timing light if needed.

If you can get initial or idle timing and full mechanical timing dialed in that is a good starting point.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:27 AM
C-AREVALO
Freshman User
Ok thanks blue and white...

Old 11-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Beedub109r
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I went HEI as well

I like the HEI setup. I went strictly mechanical advance on my MSD system. You will enjoy not dealing with the duraspark shortcomings.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:38 PM
C-AREVALO
Freshman User
Yes and it works great and is gonna clean up all the clutter...

Old 11-17-2014, 09:03 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
Once you get the mechanical advance dialed in it helps to get the vacuum advance hooked up and set up.

Why does it help?... vacuum advance improves MPG and gives cleaner burn while cruising to prolong engine and oil life.

Your carb should have a "ported vacuum" hook up. This provides near zero vacuum at idle and manifold vacuum when the throttle is open. Simply hook a vacuum line from the ported vacuum port to the distributor. Adjust vacuum advance as/if needed per instructions of the distributor supplier to avoid "ping".

Old 11-17-2014, 09:27 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
You have to see what it's doing now before doing anything else.

The mechanical advance is usually set up in a stock factory distributor as way "too much and way too late". There is roughly 50 (fifty) degrees of timing BTDC that is usable. Since Pickups are meant to haul heavy loads, this makes sense to delay. Usually the mechanical weights and springs won't get spooled up until 4500 RPM, say. When the mechanical advance comes in (RPM wise); and how much, is where you can really make the motor come alive.

The typical factory springs and curve limits the amount of crank or initial timing that can be advanced. If you just give the distributor a big ole twist, it's gonna ping, guaranteed.

Here's how to check what you gots: Verify that your crank damper is good condition. Depending on the motor, some have rubber sleeves that deteriorate and slip on axis, making the timing and TDC marks way off. Very common. Once that's out of the way, Summit and others sell handy fluorescent timing tape that reads out 50 degrees BTDC, this is handy. You don't need a fancy timing light particularly, standard is fine. A tach, yes.

Disconnect and plug the vacuum advance (for now) and check/verify the crank or initial timing at idle. Then staying out of the plane of the fan blades ... Watch the timing advance as you run the RPM up gradually from idle thru 4000-4500 and/or until there is no more advance. If you were to plot a graph with RPM and timing degrees on axis, you'd have a "curve". Ideally you will see the timing "all in" before 3000 RPM if you aren't ever planning on hauling gravel to Kansas City and want a little punch in your motor.

If timing keeps advancing past 4000, then you'll want to pull the dizzy and start replacing the springs with lighter ones to allow earlier advance. You'll also want to limit the maximum amount of mechanical advance as well. The idea is to end up with something like 14 deg of crank timing and 26 degrees of mechanical. Figure another 10 degrees of vacuum advance at hiway cruise speed for economy and driveability - there's 50. Depending on compression ratio and fuel quality you may want to dial things back a bit but that's the general idea.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:39 PM
C-AREVALO
Freshman User
Thanks guys i will have to get a timing light and im gonna install an rpm tach inside my truck. I will keep you guys posted and thanks again all off you for the great info. Im getting closer to getting her road worthy again...

Old 11-17-2014, 09:40 PM
C-AREVALO
Freshman User
Btw the crank damper is new...

Old 11-18-2014, 07:20 AM
Beedub109r
Senior User
Vacuum Advance for Mileage?

I read what was posted about having Vacuum advance on the HEI for mileage. All I have to say is:

"Hi, I'm Bill, I have a 460. I believe that a little suck off the manifold won't help my quest for double digit MPGs!" LOL

Old 11-18-2014, 08:19 AM
C-AREVALO
Freshman User
Lol i am not wanting mpg but reliability and power this is gonna be a cruiser. Air ride on 4 corners and very wide wheels on back and lowered attitude lol...

Old 11-18-2014, 08:35 AM
Beedub109r
Senior User
Originally Posted by C-AREVALO
Lol i am not wanting mpg but reliability and power this is gonna be a cruiser. Air ride on 4 corners and very wide wheels on back and lowered attitude lol...

You will not have an issue with the HEI on reliability. Set it and forget it. Especially that you go the one with the internal coil and it is self contained.

I wanted a little more adjustment so I went with the MSD 6AL box, external coil and dizzy. But it is still the same in theory.

Quick Reply: Installed H.E.I. dizzy on my 79 f 100 351-400m