Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Issues with Riffraff Wheel!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 01:47 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running a E99 turbo with a 1.0 turbine and since there is no ported housing to had that I know of for the 4 bolt compressor housing. I am running the stock w.w. and I think it is obnoxious. And after hearing some say that the 6/6 wheel is along the lines noise wise of a w.w. I decided to go with a BD billet 9 blade wheel in hopes it is quieter than the w.w. So hopefully I get the same effect as a 11 blade in a ported housing.

I know some of you guys like the whistle sound but it drives me nuts. But it is still only 1/2 as obnoxious as my old Turbo Coupe Tbird was but back then I was young and I thought it was cool. Now I don't want to hear the turbo I just want it to do it's job and make power.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:32 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
I'm running a E99 turbo with a 1.0 turbine and since there is no ported housing to had that I know of for the 4 bolt compressor housing. I am running the stock w.w. and I think it is obnoxious. And after hearing some say that the 6/6 wheel is along the lines noise wise of a w.w. I decided to go with a BD billet 9 blade wheel in hopes it is quieter than the w.w. So hopefully I get the same effect as a 11 blade in a ported housing.

I know some of you guys like the whistle sound but it drives me nuts. But it is still only 1/2 as obnoxious as my old Turbo Coupe Tbird was but back then I was young and I thought it was cool. Now I don't want to hear the turbo I just want it to do it's job and make power.
Expect surge like crazy with that wheel. Any single plane wheel in an E99 turbo is going to surge like crazy. The Riffraff wheel is no where near as loud as the original WW or the stock E99 wheel (which are the same thing).

Old 11-18-2014, 09:08 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Filter

If you have the stock air box for the E99 Ed it is louder because it only sucks thur the fender. I had mine changed out when it was new, to the late style and it helped a lot with the noise. Dealer did it for free. People on here should have some laying around, give it a try.

Chet

Old 11-18-2014, 09:37 PM
Punisher29073
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do only drive the truck when I want to have fun so I enjoy the the whistle, the rattle, and if it gets too bad, I have a button on my dash that will make all that go away.

I am tickled with it and all the other stuff I picked up. Hopefully I will be able to run it at the next Riffraff east to see the difference it has made.

Ryan

Old 11-18-2014, 11:04 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy351
Interesting. I'm running the 11 vane stock-type wheel with the ported ATS housing and I hardly hear any whistle. It does make some different noises, but none of it is obnoxious at all IMHO.
Still running the Van Turbo Joe?

Old 11-19-2014, 08:13 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by duck fan
Expect surge like crazy with that wheel. Any single plane wheel in an E99 turbo is going to surge like crazy. The Riffraff wheel is no where near as loud as the original WW or the stock E99 wheel (which are the same thing).
My RR wheel is much louder than my old WW. It has a lot more whistle. I cannot speak to the E99/though I am 2003. I am also running the AFE 2 which has a box around it but is not totally sealed. The noise is the first thing I noticed with it. Especially towing in overdrive. Get above 8 psi and it is annoying. Downshifting takes care of it. The harmonics change or the engine drowns it out, either way the whistle almost disappears.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:18 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Still running the Van Turbo Joe?
I have had a van turbo sitting on the shelf for months Now waiting to go in. I will put my RR billet wheel in it. It would be interesting to compare that combo to a van turbo w/ported housing and ported housing wheel.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:10 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Pete why do you say it will surge like crazy ?? Have you run a BD billet 9 blade or know someone who has? Because from what I have read about the BD billet 9 blade is it's design cures surge over the stock 9 blade. Also if I recall correctly FrankO is running a stock 9 blade in a E99 without surge. Also I would like to believe that since I am running a 1.0 turbine housing that the lower drive pressure will also help with surging.

Chet thanks for pointing out the fact about the E99 air box. My E99 air box is junk! I have had to drill and wire tie the lid down to get it to seal. I would be willing to try a Late99 air box but I would not want to throw much money at since I have been trying to save up for a AIS. But something else always comes up and I ended spending it on that.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:25 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Its not an issue of blade count. Its single plane vs dual plane. Thats why the E99 wheel fixed surge in the late turbos. Its the dynamics of the dual plane blade.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:41 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
Its not an issue of blade count. Its single plane vs dual plane. Thats why the E99 wheel fixed surge in the late turbos. Its the dynamics of the dual plane blade.
I was wondering about that. I always counted blades and studied their shapes, but never considered they may run in different planes. My mind reels into the third dimension.

And good to see you in the 'Hood Peter! Taking a break from killing trees with Miatas?

Old 11-20-2014, 01:38 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Rick I agree and I disagree because there are actually many different factors that effect what style of blade will work in different set ups. For example you have a stock 99-03 turbo with a .83 turbine housing and using a stock single plane 9 blade wheel with a ported housing and not get surge. Joe is using a 11 blade single plane wheel with a ported housing and he has no surge issues. The reason the stock 5/5 W.W. cures surging is it moves less air than the stock 9 blade. It really has to do with the turbo mapping of how much air you are compressing and when it is being compressed. A dual plane wheel compresses the air at a different rate to keep from getting surge. Where a single plane stock 9 blade compresses more air and earlier in the mapping which is why it can cause surging. But in the case of the BD 9 blade they extend the tips and changed the pitch of the blades so it compresses the same amount as stock but a little slower rate which moves it up on the mapping. Now in theory the 6/6 dual plane wheel should move more air than the 9 blade and it does but because of the dual plane and the pitch of the blades it does so at a different rate to not cause surging. Now when you go with a 1.0 or 1.10 turbine housing you are lowering drive pressure so that too will change the turbo mapping of a compressor wheel. I am sorry if I am doing a poor job explaining it but that is because I don't fully understand all the variables that effect the mapping of different turbo set ups. But it is not as simple as a dual plane is better than a single plane compressor wheel. There are way too many variables.