6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Limp mode...FORD's next big lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 03:01 PM
used2BFordFan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At this point, I will be forced to get truck back fixed and pay for the repair. Hoping that you can help with some type of assistance once I am able to PM. Is that the case? I cannot live without the vehicle for 10 days.

When I spoke to Ford CS, Karen did not give me a case number however I am sure my call was entered into the system under my VIN. ??

Old 02-26-2015, 03:14 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Crystal is not a decision maker, she does not have the power to rubber stamp authorizations for repairs, though I am sure she would love to have that ability. Her position is more of a Customer Service Expeditor.

And I may add that most of us appreciate what she does for the Community here.

If your looking for a Jennie in a bottle to cover the cost of a out of warranty part and service, it ain't going to happen here.

Your best bet, if you haven't already burnt the bridges you have crossed would be to ask the service manager to contact Ford on your behalf and ask for some assistance in this repair being that it is a know issue. Ford has been known to help out either in whole or in percentage with various repairs in an effort to solidify customer appreciation. But as in many things in life, it needs to be approached properly and politely. You only get one opportunity to make a first impression.

Next choice would be to contact another non Ford service center, have your truck towed there and have the work done at a more reasonable cost. I am sure you will have to pay the tow charges from the side of the road to the Ford dealer however.

Good Luck,

Old 02-26-2015, 03:41 PM
sbryan
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts
Of course another option would be to buy the EGT sensors and replace them yourself - if that is the problem as the dealer says. I'd start with #4 and see if that cures the issue. You might have the other 3 as spares! You'd be out about $100.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:58 PM
used2BFordFan
New User
It is in the dealers possession at this point. They either fix it or I come and get it. By the time I get a tow in there and haul it home to work on it, I will just have them fix it. I will get my monies worth by informing others how I was treated during the ordeal.

I know how things go and the likelihood that I will see any assistance is a crap shoot. You would think that as big as Ford is that they would keep a customer happy in one fashion or another, I would have smiled had they offered to cover the parts or throw me a coupon for a future car purchase, instead they basically gave me the 'your screwed, it's out of warranty song and dance' (Ford CS, not the dealer) which is fine but never a good way of handling a customer because now the customer has a bad taste in their mouth when it comes to future purchases.

At a minimum, I would think that someone at Ford would have called the dealer to get the scoop, discuss with them that the owner is questioning the bill and what can be done to keep the owner happy. Not the case here.

And people in the States wonder why the Foreign companies are taking business away from US manufactures. This is a classic example.

I got more customer service for a bad part on my Honda snowblower than I did here and the snowblower was well out of warranty. I came home and said I would definitely buy another Honda just because of that.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:28 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
OK, now that we have that behind us and it's water under the bridge so to speak. I'd like to welcome you to the forum. Join in do a little sharing, and little reading, it's a great place to become educated about what to expect of the 6.7 PSD. There really is a great wealth of information here and it's all free.

Oh, I may add that the members here are pretty good folk to boot.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:30 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by used2BFordFan
It is in the dealers possession at this point. They either fix it or I come and get it. By the time I get a tow in there and haul it home to work on it, I will just have them fix it. I will get my monies worth by informing others how I was treated during the ordeal.

I know how things go and the likelihood that I will see any assistance is a crap shoot. You would think that as big as Ford is that they would keep a customer happy in one fashion or another, I would have smiled had they offered to cover the parts or throw me a coupon for a future car purchase, instead they basically gave me the 'your screwed, it's out of warranty song and dance' (Ford CS, not the dealer) which is fine but never a good way of handling a customer because now the customer has a bad taste in their mouth when it comes to future purchases.

At a minimum, I would think that someone at Ford would have called the dealer to get the scoop, discuss with them that the owner is questioning the bill and what can be done to keep the owner happy. Not the case here.

And people in the States wonder why the Foreign companies are taking business away from US manufactures. This is a classic example.

I got more customer service for a bad part on my Honda snowblower than I did here and the snowblower was well out of warranty. I came home and said I would definitely buy another Honda just because of that.
I hate to burst your bubble but we had the same exp. from Lexus on the wifes car. Don't know why you'd make a blanket statement like that. Guess that's why they all put time/mileage limits or they would advertise lifetime warrantys.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:19 PM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
An out of warranty part failed.

That's life.

GMC Presidents? Day Event | GMC Truck & SUV Offers

Old 02-26-2015, 05:24 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
My co-worker has a Silverado 2500..He had to rebuild the entire front end. He just commutes with it.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:41 PM
fski50
Junior User
Ford customer service??

FORD just doesn't seem like a premium brand if their Customer Service treats customers this way.

I own a 2007 Expedition with aluminum tailgate. Same material as the All-New 2015 Ford F-150. It's garaged, mild winters, no salt on the roads. Paint has been peeling off for years and Ford refused to fix it. So, I'm not fixing it either, letting folks on the road see the crap that came out of Ford factory. And now I read about customers getting screwed when PowerStroke diesels blow up a few miles after 100,000.

In my experience, Jeep is a premium brand. I had differentials go bad after 6 years and 50,000 miles on 2007 Grand Cherokee SRT-8. Mind you, the warranty is 3/36,000. I made the case to HQ that I babied the vehicle, have a history of Chrysler products, and it would just be embarrassing to not stand behind their product. Sure enough, Jeep rebuilt the diffs at no cost to me.

I guess if you have dominant market share in HD trucks, there is no need to do the right thing??? Too bad, as I like the products, the engineering, the video about Kentucky Truck Plant, etc. I wish there were more people inside the HQ that believed you make money by building bulletproof products and standing behind them vs pinching loyal customers at any opportunity to make quarterly numbers.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:03 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
At this point, I will be forced to get truck back fixed and pay for the repair. Hoping that you can help with some type of assistance once I am able to PM. Is that the case? I cannot live without the vehicle for 10 days.

When I spoke to Ford CS, Karen did not give me a case number however I am sure my call was entered into the system under my VIN. ??
Hi used2BFordFan,

As others have mentioned, I can't make any offers of financial assistance. I primarily act as a liaison to our customer service staff who are empowered to make those kinds of decisions. I know you didn't receive the answer you were hoping for when you called in, but I cannot overturn a decision once it has been made. If you haven't already, I'd recommend speaking directly to the service manager or the general manager at your dealership; they may be willing to work with you on the cost of the repair.

Crystal

Old 02-27-2015, 09:30 AM
lundman
Senior User
dead

have always been a Ford fan...have a 12 F350 PSD, 14 Explorer XLT, 06 F150 lariat...at least until yesterday.

Minding my own business, driving the F350 with 53K miles down the road when out of nowhere, get display message to stop safely NOW...truck immediately goes into limp mode, it is Winter and cold out...truck comes to a rest and bam....truck dies. No start, no nothing, no heat etc...call ford roadside, they send flatbed one hour later to pick up disabled 60K truck and deliver to my dealer. 24 hrs later dealer tells me that all 4 EGT sensors are reading over 1000degrees and must be replaced. $ 900+ to fix. I later find out that this is a known issue and that Ford covered all Ambulance vehicles but let the average consumer to hold the bag. I am not happy that the truck left me stranded and then to charge me for the repair that they should be covering. If the Ford lady that scans these forums would like to help a loyal Ford owner, I am all ears. I am scheduled to pick up the truck tomorrow from my dealer Here is your chance to help and keep a loyal ford owner happy.

It happened to me for the first time. Truck just chimed 60 seconds to shutdown as travelling a back highway at - 21 degrees out. High snowbanks along the highway and not much room to pull over on an uphill curve. Truck got slower, slower and then shutdown. I just, just managed to find a spot that my truck fit on snow/ice shoulder. I looked in my book, waited and waited, phoned the Ford Dealer, then had to call for a flatbed. I waited 70 minutes in the freezing. I thought what if I was on a downhill curve when it shutdown. My life or loved ones would be in grave danger. Two hours earlier I was travelling on a remote back road, no cell, no houses. If it shutdown there I shutter to think. I did not expect this.

I did read about a guy crossing the dessert with his wife and young kids and pulling a trailer with 5 horses in it when his Ford suddenly shutdown. Luckily in a while a vehicle drove by and stopped to help. For me, lucky I had cell service but I was not happy at all. Friday afternoon called for a flatbed, towed 150 kms to town, in service for 4 days b/c of a long weekend. No rental vehicles available. Got my truck back Tuesday afternoon. Cost $174. I had roadside assistance so no tow fee. Got me thinking though about what ifs? And there simply must be a better way for this quick shutdown procedure. A limp mode to ensure you are out of danger. 60 seconds doesn't cut it. So just something to consider and don't think it won't happen to you b/c sooner or later it probably will. Hopefully you are on a flat road with lots of space where you and family will be in a safe area. Surprised the H out of me.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:12 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
If everyone who takes the time to go on line find a website to write and complain about this issue would instead take the time to report it to the NTSB.gov Maybe, just maybe something would be done to force a correction of this problem. It would be nice to have the issue corrected before we all start seeing wrongful death attorney commercials in the media.

Will the problems continue after having this last recall/service advisory performed only time will tell.

I have not experienced this problem, not do I wish to. I am however picking up a couple of the EGT Sensors and putting a small tool kit to handle the problem should it occur while on the road. Not much else I can do other than try to be prepared for the unexpected even if it is.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:31 PM
used2BFordFan
New User
I did file my complaint with the NHTSB, I encourage others as well.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:31 AM
desertnomad
Senior User
I read this forum often but damn I hate it when I stumble across threads like this one. Now that I'm painfully aware of this issue does anyone know if this is considered a rare occurrence, how common is this issue?? Are all four sensors identical? I'm just over 50K miles.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:35 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
four sensor at once...first I ever heard of it and I am not convinced that they were bad either.

I think they were changed because of customer pay in this case.

Quick Reply: Limp mode...FORD's next big lawsuit