6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Limp mode...FORD's next big lawsuit

Old 11-21-2014, 05:24 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by montey2005
UPDATE:
Replace sensors 12 and 14, those get the hottest.
Also, they told me this thing called Zumbi would be given to me and email the problems/codes to me. Another story is that once they replace a sensor they update the PCM, how does this help exactly?
hm.. do they have a new software change for this problem?

Old 11-21-2014, 05:42 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by green 69
last night while towing my 36' fifth wheel (12200lbs). the truck screen flashed safety stop now! and before I had the chance to move lanes it just shut down nothing like being so helpless while towing a lot of weight,
I just happen to think fast enough to hit the trailer brakes to bring the rig to a stop, Right in the traffic lane on the I 15 freeway.
after a tow to the dealer, and finding out today it was an exhaust temp sensor failure and not covered under warranty by ford or my extended warranty, Im a little pissed off with Ford, they will cover the Cat but not a stupid sensor.
Sorry to hear that this problem bit you.. Did the engine shut down totally or reduced power or to an idle?

Originally Posted by montey2005
UPDATE:
Replace sensors 12 and 14, those get the hottest.
Also, they told me this thing called Zumbi would be given to me and email the problems/codes to me. Another story is that once they replace a sensor they update the PCM, how does this help exactly?
Originally Posted by sdetweil
hm.. do they have a new software change for this problem?
Possible that the sensor has to be calibrated to the PCM? We need a knowledgable Ford Tech on this thread....

Picture of the sensor locations again.. I would not have thought that 14 would be one of the hottest.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:19 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The hottest component on the whole truck is the DPF. It runs at around 1400°. The sensor at the exit of the DPF is the one that takes the brunt of the stress of heat cycles. It endures temperature swings of over 1000° every time the truck is driven.

I think the DPF temp is attempted to be maintained at 1200° with a top limit of 1600°. I seem to remember reading this info somewhere but I have no idea where.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:30 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Big-Foot

Picture of the sensor locations again.. I would not have thought that 14 would be one of the hottest.

coldest on the left (engine), hottest on the right (after dpf, where the fire is)

Old 11-21-2014, 06:36 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I think the problem is the sensors are failing suddenly, not gradually as expected or designed. Apparently there has been no fix for that yet. We are at rev C already in 5 yrs.
If Rev 'C' exists, the one dealer I talked to yesterday knew nothing about it. According to his paperwork it's still AC3Z-5J213-B. I still have my selling dealer to talk to next week and who is a lot more versed in trucks being a country Ford store. I hope it or a whole new redesigned piece either are or soon will be in the system soon and before we leave for an extended trip with our 5er next spring/summer

Old 11-21-2014, 06:41 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Irelands child
If Rev 'C' exists, the one dealer I talked to yesterday knew nothing about it. According to his paperwork it's still AC3Z-5J213-B. I still have my selling dealer to talk to next week and who is a lot more versed in trucks being a country Ford store. I hope it or a whole new redesigned piece either are or soon will be in the system soon and before we leave for an extended trip with our 5er next spring/summer
hm, I thought I typed B.. thx.. will fix my prior post

Old 11-21-2014, 09:29 AM
roadkingfl
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure would hate to be towing ascending/descending a steep grade when a sensor fails....Yikes!

Old 11-21-2014, 09:38 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
hm, I thought I typed B.. thx.. will fix my prior post

No big deal - 'C' is only two keys away from 'B' on a keyboard and it was probably wishful thinking

Old 11-21-2014, 10:35 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by green 69
...after a tow to the dealer, and finding out today it was an exhaust temp sensor failure and not covered under warranty by ford or my extended warranty, Im a little pissed off with Ford...
Hi green 69,

Let's see what I can do to help. How many miles are on your truck?

Crystal

Old 11-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi green 69,

Let's see what I can do to help. How many miles are on your truck?

Crystal
WooooHOOOOOO!!! The Cavalry is here!!!!

Old 11-21-2014, 12:02 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,942 Likes on 1,578 Posts
WooooHOOOOOO!!! The Cavalry is here!!!!
My thoughts exactly.........

Crystal to the rescue............

Ya know Randy.......We are going to have to put Crystal on our Christmas Card list.............

Old 11-21-2014, 01:25 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,334 Likes on 1,761 Posts
Just because she is looking into this one case DOESN'T mean there is anything that will be done to fix it.

Been there, been disappointed.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Just because she is looking into this one case DOESN'T mean there is anything that will be done to fix it.

Been there, been disappointed.
Oh ye of little faith....

Actually, I know Crystal can't work miracles, but, the visibility of Ford's Corporate oversight to Consumer issues is most certainly a move in the right direction in the majority of cases...

I don't know if Crystal has any cousins or sisters working for GM or Dodge as I have not heard of this level of support from the other brands.. I rather doubt it..

Old 11-21-2014, 01:49 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
Oh ye of little faith....

Actually, I know Crystal can't work miracles, but, the visibility of Ford's Corporate oversight to Consumer issues is most certainly a move in the right direction in the majority of cases...

I don't know if Crystal has any cousins or sisters working for GM or Dodge as I have not heard of this level of support from the other brands.. I rather doubt it..
Actually, many brands have a "Crystal." On the Caddy forum I'm on for my car, "Katie" is also always there offering assistance.

Here is a recent example that sounds pretty much the same as we read here...

"Hello Rick,

I can understand how concerning this must be for you. I encourage you to contact your dealership about this. They will be in the best position to evaluate the situation and provide you the proper response. Please let me know if I can contact them on your behalf. I would just need you to provide me your VIN, contact info and preferred dealership in a private message.

Katie O.
Cadillac Customer Care"

PS: Sometimes "Katie" is assisted by "Kyle." Crystal doesn't seem to get as many vacations as Katie as she doesn't have an assigned stand it here...

Old 11-21-2014, 02:10 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Crystal, are you moonlighting? LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Limp mode...FORD's next big lawsuit