6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Limp mode...FORD's next big lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 03:22 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
Howdy Guys.........

I have a 2015 F-350 DRW on it's way from the factory.........
This summer I am headed on a trip through Canada to Alaska and back. Planning about 6 weeks......

Educate me........What do you feel is a wise precaution to have on hand for this trip ........Does the 2015 have the same sensors as folks are having trouble with ?

Thanks!
how many miles estimated?

Old 11-16-2014, 03:29 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
extra set of fuel and oil filters.

At least 5 gallons (metric ?) of DEF.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,770 Posts
Howdy Guys.........

This summer I am headed on a trip through Canada to Alaska and back. Planning about 6 weeks......

Educate me........What do you feel is a wise precaution to have on hand for this trip ........Does the 2015 have the same sensors as folks are having trouble with ?

Thanks!
What to take on a trip to Alaska, lets see, umm...

How about a ford diesel tech with a full set of tools and lots of spare parts?

And I'd say you better take a few jugs of DEF, going all the way to Alaska there will be lots of stretches with nothing and nobody around.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:37 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,995 Likes on 1,600 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
how many miles estimated?
3500 miles.........

Oil & Filter

Fuel Filters

Belt

EDIT: DEF !!

What about sensors........??

Old 11-16-2014, 03:44 PM
miner999r
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howdy Guys.........

Thanks!
If you go via the AlCan highway you will find service possibilities all along the route from Mile 0 Dawson Creek, Ft. St. John, Ft. Nelson, maybe Watson Lake & Whitehorse probably having Ford Dealers who know pickups.

It's not the adventure it used to be as most of it is now probably paved or seal coated. Used to be solid gravel after Ft. St. John. You are probably good for fuel at the places listed above but you can probably get diesel at stops like Truck Mountain and Muncho Lake, fire side or other locations. Check a good up to-date route guide. It's been a long time since I drove those roads or flew in that area. Used to be that you needed to carry 2 or 3 spares on rims but probably no longer necessary.

If you travel by the Stewart Cassiar highway it may be a little bit more of an adventure. Watson Lake to Dease Lake no problem. Fuel up there. It's then about 8 hours to Smithers. There used to be a reliable fuel stop between Dease and Smithers - probably still is.

Lots of great places to check out if you know where to look.

Other than the road you are in northern mountain wilderness. Be careful of bears. Note, don't try to cross into Canada with Firearms - big trouble for you if caught. Basically you don't need them, just be educated about bear safety. bring lots of bug dope, fishing gear and enjoy

Old 11-16-2014, 03:45 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
3500 miles.........

Oil & Filter

Fuel Filters

Belt

EDIT: DEF !!

What about sensors........??
I bought my dually used, 6,000 miles on it.. added the sensors, and a box of def. haven't used the sensors, now at just over 20,000 miles, all since last summer. three trips to Michigan and back.
with a new truck.. I'd take a sensor but you shouldn't need it

Old 11-16-2014, 06:26 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by miner999r
If you go via the AlCan highway you will find service possibilities all along the route from Mile 0 Dawson Creek, Ft. St. John, Ft. Nelson, maybe Watson Lake & Whitehorse probably having Ford Dealers who know pickups.

It's not the adventure it used to be as most of it is now probably paved or seal coated. Used to be solid gravel after Ft. St. John. You are probably good for fuel at the places listed above but you can probably get diesel at stops like Truck Mountain and Muncho Lake, fire side or other locations. Check a good up to-date route guide. It's been a long time since I drove those roads or flew in that area. Used to be that you needed to carry 2 or 3 spares on rims but probably no longer necessary.

If you travel by the Stewart Cassiar highway it may be a little bit more of an adventure. Watson Lake to Dease Lake no problem. Fuel up there. It's then about 8 hours to Smithers. There used to be a reliable fuel stop between Dease and Smithers - probably still is.

Lots of great places to check out if you know where to look.

Other than the road you are in northern mountain wilderness. Be careful of bears. Note, don't try to cross into Canada with Firearms - big trouble for you if caught. Basically you don't need them, just be educated about bear safety. bring lots of bug dope, fishing gear and enjoy
Thanks for the overview Miner......
I am not so much worried about being able to find diesel.....as the $1.79 / liter price.......
Oct 30 - Nov 2 I helped drive a uHaul truck from Great Falls MT to Anchorage. Good trip and gave me an peek as to the route come June. We hit Edmonton and stayed over night with a FTE'er then continued west taking the AlCan highway.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:29 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by sdetweil
I bought my dually used, 6,000 miles on it.. added the sensors, and a box of def. haven't used the sensors, now at just over 20,000 miles, all since last summer. three trips to Michigan and back.
with a new truck.. I'd take a sensor but you shouldn't need it
Thanks for your insight Sam.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:18 PM
azking_Ranch
Tuned
Originally Posted by montey2005
I've read time and time again about the EGT sensors failing. Well it happened to me today running 70 and pulling a trailer more than 300 miles from home. Help me understand here but does FORD realize how unsafe it is to shut down 15,000 lbs in the middle of transit and limp at 45 mph? I bypassed this crap by going into M and shifting down which gave me my power back.....temporarily (I was lucky as hell trying everything I could). I'm absolutely livid that only a bulletin has been out and not a complete recall. Today was the first day I seriously considered getting rid of my truck

Does someone have a diagram of all the sensors located on the 2011+ model 6.7's? I already had #12 replaced today but without thoroughly checking the rest of them I simply don't trust the truck AT ALL.

Let me know what you guys have done or if you've convinced a dealer to replace these shotty sensors. I have a sinking feeling there's a lot of liability for disabling a truck so drastically, I'm just lucky it wasn't me today.

Ok, rant off.
montey2005

Here is a coppy of the sensor locations

Chuck

Old 11-16-2014, 11:03 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Well I wish the tuners were cheaper so that everybody could just have DPF free trucks.... Maybe Gearbox will come out with a cheap solution like they did the 6.4. I feel glad to know that I completely removed my EGR and DPF at 13k and have been great ever since. Also I really wish Ambulances would be exempt from the emissions or that when they failed, it wouldn't shut them down....

Old 11-16-2014, 11:23 PM
montey2005
Senior User
Thanks Chuck

Old 11-17-2014, 07:12 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
I posted this earlier but I have 4 new sensors. I want to change them all but with 104000 on the clock I'm afraid of issues with stuck sensors. In that case the exhust has to be taken down and the bungs holding the sensor has to be heated red hot and twisted off. Then a new bung welded in.
I'm not ready for that. I have a lot of work to finish and winter is here. I wish they would just unscrew for sure.
See here for the instructions on how to replace damaged Bungs. http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...gt-sensor-boss

Old 11-17-2014, 07:15 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
SCT X4 with tunes is only $7-800. Thats awesome considering what H&S and Spartans are going for.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:01 AM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the overview Miner......
I am not so much worried about being able to find diesel.....as the $1.79 / liter price.......
Oct 30 - Nov 2 I helped drive a uHaul truck from Great Falls MT to Anchorage. Good trip and gave me an peek as to the route come June. We hit Edmonton and stayed over night with a FTE'er then continued west taking the AlCan highway.
Helping Dak with the drive worked out for your future trip too then. Nice

Old 11-17-2014, 10:03 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Can anyone confirm that it is the exact same part number for the 2015?

AC3Z-5J213-B

While I'm not nutty about having to carry spare parts for my $65k truck, I will be even less happy if I found out while I was dead on the road that I had bought the wrong parts...
I just spoke with Gene up at Tousley / AutoNation and he looked it up for me..
This is the correct part number for the 2015 also...
I ordered two of them.. Per Gene - these things are getting really scarce!!!!

Quick Reply: Limp mode...FORD's next big lawsuit