Titles

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 09:38 PM
47 flatbed
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Titles

I've got a 41 half ton. I bought from this jerk in Montana. Got bill of sale but no title. What have been others experiences with titling. I'm in need of a good titled farme. Ohio is a b on Bill of sale need original title.

Thanks mike

Last edited by 46fordtruck; 11-16-2014 at 06:42 PM. Reason: made G rated. no profanity please
Old 11-15-2014, 09:48 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Never heard of a state that's easy. I learned at a young age to shy away from trucks without a title. A long trail of s*** seems to follow them.......

Old 11-16-2014, 06:37 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GB we all seem to learn that the hard way. I find it best to go to the DMV and ask before I drag something home. Almost all of them have more than one way to skin a cat. If all else fails, have a local towing company that does impounds do it for you. You may have to let them take it for 60-90 days to keep everything within the rules. They almost always have a process that is much easier than the average Joe has available.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:00 AM
bchrismer
Senior User
I live in MO, and had a signed original title, but no bill of sale. Original owner has been deceased for years. State would not issue a new title without me going through the process of obtaining a declaratory judgement for title. Wound up costing me about $500 in lawyer bills and fees, but I have a new title issued to me. Don't know how Ohio is with that kind of stuff, but it's worth looking into.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:10 AM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Have any friends in Alabama? An etching of the VIN from the frame can get them a title which can be transferred to you resulting in a correct year clear title.

I've personally seen it done several years ago........

The truck this was done for was also from Montana.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:59 AM
47 flatbed
Junior User
Thanks everyone. I'm still in contact with seller. State of montanna inspected the truck but took the numeral I as the letter and not the number. I had state of Ohio reinspect number and sent that over to montanna and they have to have their state do this. This has been a 2 year process. I'm about to go to montanna and demand my money back. The question of clear title was my first question. Worse part this is to be my wife's truck and ready for paint now.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:36 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bchrismer
I live in MO, and had a signed original title, but no bill of sale. Original owner has been deceased for years. State would not issue a new title without me going through the process of obtaining a declaratory judgement for title. Wound up costing me about $500 in lawyer bills and fees, but I have a new title issued to me. Don't know how Ohio is with that kind of stuff, but it's worth looking into.
Seriously? I can't count the number of times I've had to "artfully" produce the needed bill of sale. Not any more but many times in the past I got a car with an old floating title and who knows how many times the car had changed hands without a transfer, the original owner was long gone out of the picture. Probably not really legal but since I was in possession of the car and the title, I did what I had to do. Nowdays things have tightened up and I seldom buy cars without clean titles in the sellers name, or if I do it's just to part out.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:54 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
I was once at a DMV in a rural area of Washington with a title and needed a bill of sale to complete the transaction. I told the woman that the owner had passed away years back and she replied " I wouldn't be so sure about that... Wasn't that him who just passed by on the sidewalk? Maybe you could run outside and catch him before he gets too far." I took the hint and grabbed a pen. Sure enough, transaction accomplished. What are the chances?

Old 11-16-2014, 06:47 PM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
One time when California seems to be the easiest state. Here we if you buy a vehicle with no title all we need to do is get a "statement of facts" from the seller, then have it inspected by Highway Patrol, get weight certificate, if it's a truck and then bam, title and plates are issued. I've done it several times, very easy.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:08 PM
51504BAT
More Turbo
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Titles

Originally Posted by 46fordtruck
One time when California seems to be the easiest state. Here we if you buy a vehicle with no title all we need to do is get a "statement of facts" from the seller, then have it inspected by Highway Patrol, get weight certificate, if it's a truck and then bam, title and plates are issued. I've done it several times, very easy.
In CA there are title companies that specialize in old vehicle registrations that can make the process much easier than going it alone unless you know the drill at the DMV. Don't know about your state but there may be similar service providers who could assist in the process.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:05 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
I was once at a DMV in a rural area of Washington with a title and needed a bill of sale to complete the transaction. I told the woman that the owner had passed away years back and she replied " I wouldn't be so sure about that... Wasn't that him who just passed by on the sidewalk? Maybe you could run outside and catch him before he gets too far." I took the hint and grabbed a pen. Sure enough, transaction accomplished. What are the chances?
Haha, I had a similar experience once in Wyoming. The title was man and wife, emphasis on AND (not or) which means both people need to sign and only the husband had signed. The title was from South Dakota. I went back out to my truck, signed her name and went back in and said I found her in the parking lot. The lady winked and said "I figured Judy was out there somewhere".

Old 11-16-2014, 10:53 PM
47 flatbed
Junior User
Off to see the state hi way patrol

Old 11-19-2014, 03:58 PM
Matther777
Senior User
AH I had the same problem with mine. The seller skipped the title for me. Sounds like what others have said is heading you in the correct direction. I had to apply for a lieu of Bond. Need a VIN check from State Patrol or certified official. After the VIN is cleared you need to fill out a Vehicle record search form. This is so they can background check if it wasn't stolen. Once that is clear, you can fill out all the correct paper work for registering. I found out the hard way that the bill of sale needed to be notarized for the DMV. A bank can do it for cheap or free. I can't remember all the forms names but the DMV should give you all the correct sources if you are applying for a bonded title. Best of luck my friend.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:30 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Just remember what a notary really is, they are witnessing the signing of the title. If it's already signed they won't and can't notarize it.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:17 PM
47 flatbed
Junior User
Seller not returning calls so I proceeded with process sent in my 5 dollars and info little more than a week and a half ill know if its stolen? Hopefully not what a pain in the ***.

Quick Reply: Titles