1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT decisions decisions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
OT decisions decisions

As some of you guys may know, i interned at the Mack trucks assembly plant this past summer. This was a great experience and my manager told me that if i wanted that position again next summer, it would be there for me. I decided that i would keep that position as a last resort, as i wanted to try and get experience elsewhere before i had to commit to a full time job. I went to the career fair at Penn State a few months ago, but felt like it was a bit of a waste of time. Most places were not very personable and pretty much just took my resume and told me to sign up online. As it turned out though, i got interview with both Ford and Eaton. Now comes the decision i have to make. Eaton has already extended me an offer for a summer internship. The pay is way better than what Mack gave me, although that really isn't my deciding factor in this. Ford had me fill out a formal application, but hasn't extended me an offer yet. I got in contact with the person that interviewed me at Ford last week to see if there was a chance that i would get an offer. He told me to give them another week, (up to today) to get an offer. I emailed and called him today but haven't heard back yet. I already asked Eaton to extend the deadline to accept the offer to this Monday. If i don't hear anything from Ford, im going to have to make the decision whether i should accept the offer from Eaton without knowing if Ford is going to offer me anything. I'd really like to work for Ford, but i don't want to reject Eaton's offer and then not get anything from Ford. What would you guys do in a situation like this? Should I accept the offer from Eaton, then recant it if Ford offers me something? I don't feel like that would be the right thing to do though. Opinions?

Old 11-14-2014, 04:16 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd accept the offer from Eaton. If Ford makes an offer at a later date, review it. If it is a better offer let Eaton know that you have an offer from a place that better fits your vocational aspirations. Good luck.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:22 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
IMHO, The right thing to do is what's best for YOU. Take the Eaton offer and if Ford comes thru with something better make another decision then. These companies make their decisions on what best for THEM. Eaton obviously wants YOU, sounds like Ford isn't that excited, moves very slowly, is waiting to see what else comes along or are waiting on their first choice to make their decision before moving down their candidate list.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:28 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I'd look down the road. Ford has way more opportunities for parallel and upward movement should you sign on, and I've heard they are staffing up big-time to meet all the challenges ahead on MPG. Are you looking (ultimately) to be on the manufacturing side, or the design side? Ford has both, Eaton less so. Eaton has also been shucking off product lines, as I recall.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:58 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
The real question is what do you see as your industry of interest? The automotive industry has gone through some hard contractions and would seem to be in recovery/expansion mode. Ford - to far different degree than either GM or Chrysler/Fiat - is poised for more immediate success. It remains a brutal industry and the ability to move between various parts isn't clear to me (I just don't know).

Eaton, on the other hand, is a multiple industry company with business activity in aerospace, vehicles, electrical, hydraulics, and industrial equipment. Firms like this are always adding - and sometimes selling - pieces. It is certainly a large enough company to provide a range of opportunities. Additionally, it isn't overly focused on a single product that can sometimes cause over specialization within functional groups. If you only build cars, the engineering staff needs to segregate duties to the point where individual experience can be quite constrained. This should mean that you'll be exposed to a broader - and presumably more interesting - collection of duties.

Lastly, the way you get treated during the recruitment process usually is a good indication of the way employees are valued.

You have great choices and are wise to seek a variety of intern experiences.

Good luck

Old 11-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Lots of good opinions to take into consideration. But "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".

Old 11-14-2014, 05:49 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
To Joe's point: you only have an offer from Eaton. Ford, by their silence, has given you their answer.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:07 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems to me that Eaton really wants you and that Ford is maybe waiting to see how many times you'll call back. Like DW said, Eaton is very diversified and could offer you a lot of options. With Ford there are possibilities but more limited. Although you may have some loyalty towards Mack, I think I would go with Eaton. You're still young and have a lot of time yet to figure out whats right for you. Better pay means more $ for school and your truck. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:24 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Nothing happens fast in a company the size of Ford. Hire decisions take a long list of reviews and approvals, to assure compliance.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:58 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
Nick,
You are talking here about summer internships. They are an excellent way to "try out" a company. IIRC you are in a BSME program. What year are you in now?
In my case I did the 5 year co-op program at Northeastern which I really liked since it helps give you direction when you complete your degree. Summer internships should help in the same way. In my day most engineering co-ops at Northeastern did have just one company that they stayed with all the way thru and many would go with that company after graduation. In my case my co-op was with one company, however after graduation I went with a different but related company (for 30 years). There is much more movement to different employers now. I would look at how broad an experience you think that you can get at different potential internships. It does seem to me that having to commit over 6 months prior to the start of an internship, assuming you are talking in the May/June timeframe, is a bit early.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:04 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The way I see it, you don't really have too much of a decision to make yet. You have already decided that Eaton would be a better choice than Mack. Ford hasn't presented an offer yet. Accept the Eaton offer! If Ford comes through later, then you have a decision to make. You wouldn't be the first guy to back out of a job offer if Ford comes through with an offer that you can't refuse.

I hate to break it to you, but you said that money wasn't an issue. It is part of the decision process. Part of the purpose of having internships is so that promising students can pay for tuition, books, and housing in their senior year after they return to school. If the intern works out, the company has nurtured a possible future employee. Maybe you'd have a reduced amount of that pesky student debt that we all hear about! Worst case is that you would have additional funding for your truck!!

I'd wish you good luck, but it sounds like it has been your hard work and perseverance that have made you a great candidate for the automotive industry!

Let us know where you end up!!

Dan

Old 11-14-2014, 09:06 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Nick,
Hmmmm.. Lot's of good advice here. I'll take a slightly different tack ..

Mack, Ford, & Eaton are all very similar large industrial slow growth rust belt companies. I don't see much difference on the surface here. So you've interned at one of these type companies already - why not stretch yourself and look at a start-up or young company. Fast paced, wear lot's of hats, expanding, no big rule book in place, etc... Stock Options - chance to hit a financial home run. Move out of your comfort zone - take an internship in a nice warm place like Texas, California, Florida, etc..
Lots of start-up high tech companies needing smart engineers around Austin.... Just saying... (No State Income Tax, No Snow, Pretty Southern Girls, Hipsters, ...) (San Francisco, Silicon Valley, Seattle).

Life is an adventure - jump out there and seize it.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 11-15-2014, 08:11 AM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I would say go with EATON,at least for now,like jolly roger said

Old 11-15-2014, 12:01 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I agree with Ross the bigger the company the more the likelyhood of getting pigeonholed. I know an advanced degreed industrial designer who worked in the design department of one of the big three automakers for > 10 years. All she ever did in all that time was design/draw interior door handles!

Old 11-15-2014, 12:17 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Take the Eaton job, before they give it to someone else. Jobs aren't growing on trees anymore. Besides, it's a temporary position for a few months in the summer that may or may not turn into something else. No one is offering any guarantees anymore, which goes both ways. If something better turns up between now and spring time, only then will you need to revisit the situation.

Quick Reply: OT decisions decisions