PART TWO - COVERING YOUR RV

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 11:05 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 994 Posts
PART TWO - COVERING YOUR RV

Instead of continuing the existing thread I wanted to start this because it is a different subject.

I was wondering if anyone has covered their RV via the "shrink-wrap" method? I know a number of boat owners do this for winter out-of-water storage. Does anyone know a cost or approximate cost of doing this? Is it a by-the-foot- thing or what?

Old 11-14-2014, 12:37 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had been considering having mine done at a marina, but in the final hours I did some searching and found there have been people who have done boats like this and had problems with the desicant packs working right and they came back to big mold problems in the following boating season. Plus I did not see how they could effectively seal it up unless the wheels were wrapped too!
I'd certainly be interested in reading other people's perspectives on this....

Old 11-14-2014, 03:22 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

I really don't care if it is sealed tight or not..... just the body of the trailer.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:03 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
I would be concerned about the mold issue myself. Interesting idea.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Chalkie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
I would be concerned about the mold issue myself. Interesting idea.

I don't think I would want to do this even though where I live the average humidity is about 20% or less.

When you get mold in your home it is generally caused by a combination of moisture and lack of air circulation. I think I would be concerned about this method for those reasons. Even in newly built homes that are Tyvek wrapped with foam filled walls you get air infiltration around windows and doors.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:09 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 830 Likes on 570 Posts
I agree with they gents above, I would avoid the boat shrink wrap. My Adco RV cover works well for me and I like how the roof material extends down the sidewall a little with a flap section under which it has several ventilated areas. Whenever there is a decent breeze (plenty in Winter) the leeward side billows out so I know it's getting some air circulation between the TT and cover to keep things "fresh". I have had less than great results with other types of covers on my boat, never did the shrink wrap as I have some friends that got mold with one. My current winter cover for the SeaRay is just a very high quality "Top Gun" brand material (think rubber impregnated thick Sunbrella canvas) mooring cover, it leaves the bow section over the cuddy exposed but some wax pre and post storage keep that looking OK, the mooring cover has two small hooded vents, between them and the deck scuppers it stay dry and aired out pretty well. I think stored vehicles do much better when they have some ventilation vs being tightly sealed for Winter.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:08 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure shrink wrap is a even good idea for a boat unless that plastic material can breathe. I currently don't own a boat but did have a Glastron-Carlsen about 15 or so years back. All I did for winter protection was to put the trailer on blocks, remove the wheels, build a wood framework around it all then put a blue (or green) plastic tarp over it. It would stay reasonably dry, no mold would collect and everything came out ready to go in the spring. The 5er is a heluva lot bigger but IMO, you either use a breathable cover like the ADCO or similar or else a covered storage area. If you can't do either, then just a good cleaning before as well as after uncovered winter storage is about the best way. That 'rubber roof' will develop mold if it's too well sealed. I watched my cover's air flaps billow today in the 15-20 mph wind. This told me there was good air circulation keeping it clean and it will dry if things get wet (it did, there was snow, a whopping 1/2" overnight).

Old 11-18-2014, 04:10 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Talked to the people that would do the shrink wrap. They guaranteed I would see no mildew.... they insure ventilation. Looks like it will happen by the end of this week. I will get back to you all in the spring after I cut it open. I will be taking photos!

Old 11-18-2014, 04:14 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Be curious about the cost as well if you care to share.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:21 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

$270.00 At least until they see the RV. I signed the papers for that price tho... he's looking forward to doing this and wants my input on the internet so I doubt very much if the costs will change at all. $270 and I don't have to risk my life getting on the roof to install OR remove. A sharp blade will insure removal....

This cost is much better than buying covers every two-three years and having the mildew problems I had with them! Standing water on top of those covers = mildew and black mold on the rubber roof!

After finished you'd be welcome to drop by to look if you want!

Old 11-18-2014, 04:40 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Boy is that interesting! And not a bad price either... I hope you take some pictures and notes. The ones that I saw and were referring to were completely encapsulated and they had one or two large bags of descicant to remove any moisture. These bags were roughly the size of 20# sack of sugar..

Old 11-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Chalkie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure you have done your homework, but how long have these folks been in business? Are they a BBB member or at least have a BBB rating? This procedure would make me very nervous, despite the claims.

I am definitely following this thread now. Keep us all posted. How about some pics once it is done?

Edit: And I am presuming they come to you, wherever the trailer is stored? Is that a valid assumption?

Old 11-19-2014, 06:24 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I, too want to see the results. And would really like to know what it really costs per foot as I think you may be being used as a guinea pig for a local business for future sales. Cost by one of our local guys is $13-$15 bucks a foot with cabins, flying bridges and whatever sticks up somewhat higher or more elaborate adding some additional dollars. I would also like to see what is being covered as my ADCO is virtually encapsulating our 38' Montana with the exception of the protected front compartment. Plus I can get into it whenever I want by loosening a couple straps and a zipper.

If it works and is competitive with the price of a regular Tyvek cover which has a life span of 3-4 years($95-125/year for my cover), it might be something for future consideration.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:17 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Yes, they are coming to my home to do the work...price is $9.00 a foot. I really never had to get into my RV after covering with the ADCO.... so not a problem for me At $270 it will be worth it for me NOT to have to cover it myself via ADCO.

At 75 y.o. I just don't think it's worth the chance. I'm healthy...and want to stay that way. So going from 125 (approx) per year to this is REALLY worth it for me. As I said...I'll find out next spring if I'll do it again.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:42 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
If that option were available to me where I am, I probably would have jumped on it too... Particularly since they say its vented...
Being a dozen years younger than you - I can attest that even at my age, I am being much more careful than when I was even in my 40's and 50's... I just don't heal as fast as I used to and I am not at all enamoured with the notion of my wife having to take care of her invalid husband...
You just got the tip of my hat Bud...

Quick Reply: PART TWO - COVERING YOUR RV