Sponsored by:

Bright Source HID Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:57 PM
JIMBO_FID
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Bright Source HID Kit

Today I did one of the easiest jobs on the Ex so far. A buddy of mine owns a mechanics shop which specializes in Land Rovers and Jags but he is also a Ford owner. He told me about an HID kit made by Bright Source which is plug and play for our trucks and it only takes about an hours’ worth of time to install. I was a little in disbelief but asked him to order me a set (provided by a local shop in Vancouver ) and I would see how things go. I know there are threads on doing the conversions; however I thought it would be helpful for others to see this product and how simple it is.

When the package came, the presentation was nice and clean and looked pretty straight forward.

Nicely displayed kit.

The new HID lights come with tabs that screw into the factory location, then the HID screws into the tab. These lights will do low and high beam and this is accomplished by the tube moving in and out to project more light.

With the lights in, I just had to find a home for the ballasts and attach the grounds and power supplies. The install took me just over an hour to do with most of the time figuring out how to keep the wiring clean in the engine bay.

Passenger ballast mounted to an existing ground point.

Driver's side ballast mounted to the battery box cover.

Here is the before photo:

Here is the after photo:

The product is back by a two year warranty and if things some how go bad, I can easily put back my original headlights. The output on the lights is 6000K and with a truck 4" taller in height, I hope I wont have any issues with the police.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:04 PM
Tired Excursion
New User
I replaced the 2 piece headlight/marker light on my '04 with aftermarket 1 piece hid projectors. The projectors are great but the headlight assembly was a poor fit at best. Next time I am going with the bi xenon. One bulb does high and low beam.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:09 AM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tired Excursion
I replaced the 2 piece headlight/marker light on my '04 with aftermarket 1 piece hid projectors. The projectors are great but the headlight assembly was a poor fit at best. Next time I am going with the bi xenon. One bulb does high and low beam.
What kit did you order? I am looking to upgrade my 2003 X as my current lights are dim at best and I do lot of night driving.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:39 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
What was the total cost of the kit? HID kits like that can be found pretty cheaply if you know what you're looking for these days so unless it's a good bargain it would be easier to just use a name brand off the shelf kit IMHO.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:42 PM
Tired Excursion
New User
The set I bought was from a company on Amazon called DJM. I think that was there name. The main thing to look for is the bi-xenon projector bulbs. If you just stick HID bulbs in of your old bulbs they will scatter the light rather than focus it like factoey HIDs. Post some pictures of what you end up getting.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Big Sky
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
On there website they run $382.50 and are for 2005 and up

Old 11-15-2014, 01:02 PM
JIMBO_FID
Senior User
Originally Posted by Big Sky
On there website they run $382.50 and are for 2005 and up
Sorry, is that a comment for the start of the thread? The first set I was given where for an 04 and lower so the connectors did not fit the back of my head light. Once I got ones for 05+, everything fit correct. The only difference in the kit between 04 and lower and 05+ is the nut at the back of the head light. The wiring is identical.

I'm just about to go out and disconnect my DLR so the HIDs aren't on all the time. Then on a warmer day I will look to do the fog light mod so they stay on with high beams.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:37 AM
Big Sky
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JIMBO_FID
Sorry, is that a comment for the start of the thread? The first set I was given where for an 04 and lower so the connectors did not fit the back of my head light. Once I got ones for 05+, everything fit correct. The only difference in the kit between 04 and lower and 05+ is the nut at the back of the head light. The wiring is identical.

I'm just about to go out and disconnect my DLR so the HIDs aren't on all the time. Then on a warmer day I will look to do the fog light mod so they stay on with high beams.
I was just relaying what Bright Sources website said....

Old 11-16-2014, 09:26 AM
dihedralboy
Junior User
I put this exact kit (maybe a different PN) in my 12 F150. I purchased it for about the same price from my local Ford dealer, they installed it. Night and day difference!

I love driving at night with them. It's by far the best headlights I have seen. I know it's very bright for oncoming traffic however. I am not sure how aiming is done on an ex, but you want to make sure they are aimed down a bit, and not up.

Bright source is a nice a product. When you go from hi to lo and back again, the bulb pushes in and out, you can hear it motoring. It's a physical change. like a thunk thunk sound. Pretty cool…

Old 11-16-2014, 03:57 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Well I have an extra set of ballast here at the house just sitting around so I ordered a set of lights a few days ago. When they come in I'll see about getting them put in and a few pics shot