Sponsored by: DP Tuner

suggested oils and intervals

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 11:22 AM
varminthunter243
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
suggested oils and intervals

I know this has the potential to unleash a firestorm of conflicting opinions but the truck is due for it's first oil change. lookin for yalls opinions on what oils you like best, any additives you may suggest, and the intervals you usually change your oil at. this is a daily driver so down time on the oil is non existent. let's try to keep it civil haha

and GO!!!!!

Old 11-13-2014, 11:28 AM
hodge5
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't have a diesel truck now, although I do have 4 other diesels (two tractors, a skid steer, and my daughter's Jetta).
While I have full confidence in Rotella T, I didn't like the odor of the fumes from the breather tube on my old Cummins. I had switched to Valvoline Big Blue, which did a great job. I use it in all of our diesels now, except the Jetta. It calls for synthetic, so I run Rotella T6.
I use the appropriate (Winter or Summer) Power Service in our off-road diesel tank, and in the Jetta.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:11 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
I run Rotella T6 in my truck year around, but I live in Kansas and the synthetic is helpful for cold weather starts. No romps in the really cold weather with synthetic. I also run slightly longer change intervals with synthetic.

If you are in the warmer areas, and don't usually get to colder climes, I would probably run regular Rotella or diesel oil of your choice and change at factory recommended intervals. I don't use extra additives in the oil.

I run Diesel Kleen in the Winter for antigel protection and an occasional bottle in summer months.

If you use a diesel rated oil and change at Ford recommended intervals, you will most likely never have an oil related problem with your engine.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:15 PM
husker
Hotshot
I use Rotella T6 in my truck because in Kansas we can have some pretty cold weather and using synthetic eliminated the romps in really cold weather starts. Also the engine starts easier in cold weather. I do extend my oil change intervals slightly with synthetic oil.

If you follow the Ford recommended change intervals you should be good with any diesel rated oil whether regular or synthetic. It would be very unlikely that you will have a oil related failure using that practice.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:17 PM
husker
Hotshot
Wow, I posted twice. Thought I deleted the first post.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:01 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
we get pretty cold weather in the winter compared to the rest of the state but nowhere near what you get I'd expect. Used to use T6 in my 6.0 but that was mainly to keep the injectors as happy as possible. changed it every 3K. I was thinking of using the T3 and changing it about every 5K in this rig, don't have the manuals for the truck so not real sure what the factory intervals are to be honest.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Rotella T6 full synth 5w-40, Mobil-1 601 filter, changing every 8500 currently. Blackstone Lab said to run it to 9500 mile intervals after the last sample I had analyzed but I havent stretched it that far yet. I just sent them two samples from my last two changes and we will see what they come back with. I don't use any additives except a little Diesel Kleen in the fuel tank every now and then. 170k on the truck. Doesn't use any oil in-between. Been running nothing but T6 since I got the truck with 99k.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:05 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
I like the quote in your signature there Studawg haha

Old 11-13-2014, 02:08 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

That sounds like a beast of a Bronco you got in your sig there..time for it to come out of hibernation....

Old 11-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always ran T6. Generally I run it 8000 miles, a little less if towing frequently.
Blackstone also told me to run it longer than 8000, I just never did with my frequent towing.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:44 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
yessir I agree. she's been asleep much too long. needed a battery when I parked her. last time I tried to jump her there was a pretty good fuel leak from the line going into the electric fuel pump. shortly after I parked the truck I got engaged, moved 3 hours away for work, found out the land lord wouldn't let us have more than 1 vehicle per tenant, then had a kid, bought a house, then this 7.3 which has been nothing but a money pit so far, and so now here we are. but the people who own the property behind our house are proving to be quite receptive to the idea of us putting in a gate to access our back yard. so now I will hopefully have a place to resurrect the beast. keeping my fingers crossed that by next spring i'll be able to get her up here and running again. she's my high school hot rod man. lots of good (and some not so good) memories in that old rig.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:46 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
and looks like the general consensus is T6 at around 8K. the guy that owns the dealership I bought the truck from put Delvac in right before I bought it. I'd love to get that junk out. and the time has come. selling 2 retriever puppies so I should have the money to do it relatively soon.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:43 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I've run Rotella, Delo, Valvoline Premium Blue, Delvac, and had all of them tested by Blackstone.

The key is to maintain your vehicle and change the oil at regular intervals. It's worked for me for the last 493,000 miles.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Originally Posted by varminthunter243
and looks like the general consensus is T6 at around 8K. the guy that owns the dealership I bought the truck from put Delvac in right before I bought it. I'd love to get that junk out. and the time has come. selling 2 retriever puppies so I should have the money to do it relatively soon.
I don't think theres anything wrong with Delvac, don't stress it. You could probably run ANY 15w-40 diesel oil in these things as long as you change it and the filter regularly. Maybe keep 1 puppy and just run walmart oil this time.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:13 PM
Volcom
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid question - My truck doesn't see but 3-4K miles a year. It's mostly a tow rig for my Toyota rock crawler. Change the oil once a year, regardless the mileage or wait until it gets 7-8K on the oil? I run T6.

Quick Reply: suggested oils and intervals