1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CCLB Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:45 AM
M992wd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CCLB Upgrade?

So I love my truck, but my biggest regret with it is getting the supercab. There are so many times that I'd like to take more people but that little half seat just isn't practical for normal sized humans. I imagine within 5 years I'll also start having munchkins and the suicide door will be a real pain.

As I'm always looking at truck stuff and might have a legitimate problem with craigslist, i found a truck that is just about perfect on my book. So, is it worth the upgrade? Wait until i have a legitimate need for the crewcab? What are your thoughts?

First, my truck
99 f350, sclb 2wd lariat. V10, 4.30 gears, under 80k miles no rust. 2wd doesn't bother me much, especially since i got new tires, but 4x4 would be nice.

The truck for sale
2002 cclb, 4x4 lariat, v10 3.73 gears 57k miles. Its red (my favorite color) camper top (something id add to mine if i keep it) no issues known, looks real clean. Guy says hell take 15k for it, I'd prefer 14k which is right at book.

What could i get for mine? 9k? is the extra half a door and transfer case worth it? The lariat looks much more well equipped in 02 than 99, wood trim, leather looks nicer etc.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:27 AM
The John
Senior User
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I would do it if you feel that its a good deal and its what you want.

I love my crew cab 250. I had my grandfathers 77 F150 2wd Supercab for 15 years. I loved that truck, but it was just not a good fit after having my little one. I love having the room of a CC, as my little ones car seat is way in the back. I can actually half stand up and move around in the back there is so much room. it makes for long drives for camping/hunting/general travel trips great!

But then again, I love my truck (but its a weekend/activity truck, not a daily driver).

Old 11-13-2014, 11:51 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,413 Likes on 1,008 Posts
Crew Cab is all I will buy. The room and extra storage or for people is really important.

I will also only by 4x4. ..But I would go newer if you can. There are a lot of nice features with the newer ones.

Also tow mirrors and the integrated trailer brake controller would be on my shopping list.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:00 PM
94xltsc
New User
having went from SC to CC, i highly recommend it. but i ran a 94 SC with 3 kids until mine were 12 and 8(2) with no real problems. and mine was only a 2 door. i ran two carseats in the back properly and was still able to have my oldest in a shoulder belt.

so don't be in a big hurry just yet. and for 15k, i'd check over a 13 y/o truck really, really close. after my 94 SC, i owned a low mileage 2005 ram 1500 CC that i bought in 2011 and it proceeded to turn into the biggest POS i have ever owned and nothing was obvious when i bought it. last month i gave up on it and got a 2015 250 CC.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:34 PM
05F250DSL
Fleet Mechanic
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
CC all the way but bare in mind the CCLB is long an you are not going to just park everywhere. I do wish I had the long box but I found a deal on mine that I couldn't pass up. Oh and once you go CC superduty your spoiled for life and your kids will be also. I know I won't be able to go back to a ext, or ref cab for a long time. It's awesome to have all that space.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:32 PM
M992wd
Senior User
Both trucks have tow mirrors, trailer hitch and brake controller.

Is the cclb that much more problematic to park than the sclb? It's all of about a foot different right? Going from a ford focus to the superduty took a bit to get used to, but I imagine I can handle this difference.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:34 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,413 Likes on 1,008 Posts
I have a DRW CC and don't find it a problem at all.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:39 PM
05F250DSL
Fleet Mechanic
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by M992wd
Both trucks have tow mirrors, trailer hitch and brake controller.

Is the cclb that much more problematic to park than the sclb? It's all of about a foot different right? Going from a ford focus to the superduty took a bit to get used to, but I imagine I can handle this difference.
No not that different but my CCSB already hangs over most standard parking spots. Even in my truck you just have to think about where you are parking. It is still way better than trying to get the front door open to open the rear ext cab doors. That is a real pain. I think when we measured mine and my boss' it was a little over 16" difference. His is also an 03' and mine an 05' there is a difference in turnin radius between the two the coil springs seem to ride better and turn sharper by a little.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:50 PM
M992wd
Senior User
Is the 3.73 axle ratio going to feel like a slug next to my 4.30?

Old 11-13-2014, 08:09 PM
PaxtonShelby
Senior User
I love having 4x4 and couldn't imagine being without it here in PA. And if kids or buddies are frequently riding with you, the CC is worth it's weight in gold. No more worrying someone is going to smack the doors together. I came from a std cab LB to my CCLB and like was said above...I'm never going back. Plus - sounds like the other truck has everything you want short of gears - and with the V10 you probably won't need those 4.30's anyway unless you tow really heavy. Good luck with your decision!

Old 11-14-2014, 01:00 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Axle ratio like you mentioned is different which may change how you drive it. However the 02 has less miles, better engine, 4x4 and can plug and play the newer 08+ mirrors. Get it checked out, or check it out thouroughly yourself.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:36 AM
M992wd
Senior User
What improvements were there to the engine? I didn't think it changed at all until later

Old 11-14-2014, 06:18 AM
CPaulsen
Senior User
Have an 01 F350 CC/LB/V-10....love the extra room. Mine has 3:73 gears but changing next week to 4:30's.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:49 AM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by M992wd
So I love my truck, but my biggest regret with it is getting the supercab. There are so many times that I'd like to take more people but that little half seat just isn't practical for normal sized humans. I imagine within 5 years I'll also start having munchkins and the suicide door will be a real pain.

As I'm always looking at truck stuff and might have a legitimate problem with craigslist, i found a truck that is just about perfect on my book. So, is it worth the upgrade? Wait until i have a legitimate need for the crewcab? What are your thoughts?

First, my truck
99 f350, sclb 2wd lariat. V10, 4.30 gears, under 80k miles no rust. 2wd doesn't bother me much, especially since i got new tires, but 4x4 would be nice.

The truck for sale
2002 cclb, 4x4 lariat, v10 3.73 gears 57k miles. Its red (my favorite color) camper top (something id add to mine if i keep it) no issues known, looks real clean. Guy says hell take 15k for it, I'd prefer 14k which is right at book.

What could i get for mine? 9k? is the extra half a door and transfer case worth it? The lariat looks much more well equipped in 02 than 99, wood trim, leather looks nicer etc.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
That is the same as my truck, but I have the 5.4 V8. I bought mine 1 year ago for $12,800 with 97,000 and minimal rust (not quite the case now, but I am not going to get into it... look at my build thread if you care to see more).

I absolutely love it! The 3.73s are great on the highway, but not ideal around town. I was getting 16 mpg this summer cruising on the highway down to North Carolina and 15.9 on the way back. I get about 11-13 mpg in normal driving.

You have an advantage with the low gears and the V10. There are more power adders for the big V10 like Banks Torquetube headers. You already have 75 hp and 70 ft lb. torque on the V8, but with a few other parts and a custom tune from 5 Star, you'll never know you have 3.73s.

Its big, roomy, comfortable, and quiet. It is the smoothest riding SD I've ever been in and it got even better with new shocks. And I am running 70-80 psi in all 4 tires. It's my fiancee's favorite vehicle out of our 3 and the 5 we have owned. It is truly a luxury car for its time.

All that being said, there are a few things I didn't like (options wise). In 02, they did not have the folding rear seat like 03 and 04. This would've been very helpful at times. Also, mine does not have a limited slip rear axle although it does have the offroad package. Not sure who's idea this was , but a truck this big, long, and heavy, could really benefit from it. I almost got stuck last winter with a trailer because of an open rear diff and highway tires.

A few things to watch for:
If it still has the factory auto locking hubs for 4x4, make sure they are working. They tend to get vacuum leaks and not function properly. There is a lot of info how to rebuild these hubs if need be. If the hubs say Free / Lock, then this problem has been addressed.

Check the studs on the exhaust manifolds to make sure none have broken off. Very common on the 2 valve V8 and V10, but you probably already know this.

Crawl underneath and look around or take it to a shop and put it on a lift. Check the bed cross members for rust. Check the inner rockers where the steps bolt too for rust. Check the bottoms of the doors. While you are under then, on the front axle pumpkin, to the right of the yoke, there is a number cast into the housing. If the number is "449" then the truck has a true Dana 60 instead of the Dana 50.

If you have the VIN number, go to FordEtis home page and enter it there. It will tell you every detail about the truck. What options were added, what were not, weight of the springs, you name it. You should also be able to enter your old truck's vin there if you want to compare the 2.

If the truck checks out, I think you will be extremely happy with it

Is this the truck you are talking about? Cars for Sale: 2002 Ford F250 Lariat in Cheswick, PA 15024: Truck Details - 383195195 - AutoTrader.com

I saw that for sale on Autotrader about a month ago and I thought, that is a damn nice truck. I wish I would've waited to but mine.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:29 AM
M992wd
Senior User
From what i hear, mpg improvements with 3.73 are minimal, but i really like the get up and go my current truck has. I worry that combined with the added heft of the longer truck and that whole front axle and suspension, she won't have the seat feel i have now.

I did expect my truck to ride smoother, but especially on rough roads which are unfortunately all we have here, she's not smooth at all. Perhaps the added length, softer rear springs, and leaf fronts will make this one smoother. Just from the pictures it looks more luxurious.

He said it has new manifolds and studs last fall and new exhaust from cats back. Makes me worry about rust with only 60k miles. On that note, he said there was rusty on the rear fender which he treated then covered with the flares. He said it's in good shape rust wise, but ill definitely keep my eye on trouble spots.

Yup, that's it except i found it on cl. Its a real pretty truck. i put mine on cl to see if i get any hits before going to see that one. Perhaps it'll help sway me.

Quick Reply: CCLB Upgrade?