Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

LED Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 08:39 PM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Projectors

Finally bit the bullet and brought some Projectors for the truck .

F250 F350 F450 F550 Superduty 2005 2007 LED Halo Projector Headlight Chrome Ford | eBay

I'll be the guinea pig on these bad boys, these are the ones Simon was looking at some time ago, they are set up for RHD.

Hope the HID's i have in at the moment will fit the projector housings.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:50 AM
Patchy 73
Senior User
Good luck

Cheers,
Patchy

Old 11-13-2014, 01:33 AM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
Do you think i will need it .

Old 11-13-2014, 03:16 AM
Aussie BrianB
Senior User
Hope they work well mate.
You can never get enough light on Australia's country roads.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:46 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
I reckon you can do it. Worst case scenario is that you may have to get new HID bulbs to match the new housings - but this should be relatively cheap.

I've landed another job, thank goodness, so will be following how you go closely! Thanks for being the Ozzy Projecter HID TREND SETTER!

Old 11-13-2014, 05:48 AM
Aussie BrianB
Senior User
Originally Posted by SSSimon
I've landed another job, thank goodness...
Glad to hear you have landed a new job, unemployment SUCKS!

Old 11-13-2014, 11:35 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Look forward to following. The way these housings are designed, if you wish to fit HID's in the future, you can just buy the projector and plug and play.

One thing you may want to do - I'm not sure how they are wired, but on mine when High beams are activated, the low beams are not. You can easily bridge this so when you flick on your high beams the low beams stay on for more light.

On edit: Congrats on the job Simon!

Old 11-13-2014, 01:14 PM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
I reckon you can do it. Worst case scenario is that you may have to get new HID bulbs to match the new housings - but this should be relatively cheap.

I've landed another job, thank goodness, so will be following how you go closely! Thanks for being the Ozzy Projecter HID TREND SETTER!
Gongrats on the new job Simon , you must be so pleased and so the family.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:17 PM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BigF350
Look forward to following. The way these housings are designed, if you wish to fit HID's in the future, you can just buy the projector and plug and play.

One thing you may want to do - I'm not sure how they are wired, but on mine when High beams are activated, the low beams are not. You can easily bridge this so when you flick on your high beams the low beams stay on for more light.
I will get back in touch with you Adrian when the time comes to the wiring .

Any suggestion where to get new HID bulbs .

I figure with the air bags front and rear i should be able to adjust the light beam with or without a load.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:02 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
You can find them on eBay (often from the same seller as the housing)

Old 11-14-2014, 05:34 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Blue, I picked my HID sets up here - Sun Woif - lots of options on the site, including bulbs only:
55W HID Xenon Conversion KIT Ballast Bulbs H1 H3 H4 3 HI LO H7 H9 H11 9004 7 H13 | eBay

The 2 kits I've got have been problem free, H3 3000K in my foggies, H1 4300K for my Cibie driving lights. I would recommend 4300K for you low beams, and put a diode-bridge from your hi to your low so the low beams stay on when high beam is selected.
That way you won't have to wait in blackness when you dip to low (while the bulbs come up to operating temp).

Oh, yes, thanks for the well wishes on the job front -great relief to us all here as things are very tight in Canberra ATM. I've now been working for 3 weeks and this week received 2 calls for jobs that I applied for 2 months ago - FKs how they can get anything done when the wheels turn that slow. But savings is savings.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:48 AM
Aussie BrianB
Senior User
Oh, yes, thanks for the well wishes on the job front -great relief to us all here as things are very tight in Canberra ATM. I've now been working for 3 weeks....
Simon,
that must be a great weight of your mind. I had a company I worked
for disapear from under me at very short notice back in the 90s and
suddenly all that occupied my mind was how the hell I was going to
pay the mortgage.
I know just how much stress this dumps on you and your family.

Hope it all goes well for the future.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:19 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Blue, I picked my HID sets up here - Sun Woif - lots of options on the site, including bulbs only:
55W HID Xenon Conversion KIT Ballast Bulbs H1 H3 H4 3 HI LO H7 H9 H11 9004 7 H13 | eBay

The 2 kits I've got have been problem free, H3 3000K in my foggies, H1 4300K for my Cibie driving lights. I would recommend 4300K for you low beams, and put a diode-bridge from your hi to your low so the low beams stay on when high beam is selected.
That way you won't have to wait in blackness when you dip to low (while the bulbs come up to operating temp).
Just on this - you will need the actual projectors, not just the HID Bulb's, because the reflectors for the Halogen bulbs in the light assembly you have will be different for HID's.

Something like this is what you need, but if you contact the eBay seller for the actual housings, they often sell "plug and play" HID projectors for their assemblies:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Projector-HID-Fog-Lights-Kit-Xenon-Bulbs-Ballast-Relay-for-Custom-Bumper-Install-/161297403315?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item258e130db3&vxp=mtr

Old 11-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
Wow those HID's for the fog lights are as cheap as chips now , wonder how long i have to wait before you get them for nothing.ha ha

With the F250 F350 F450 F550 Superduty 2005 2007 LED Halo Projector Headlight Chrome Ford | eBay they ony have one projector so i will have to fit a halogen bulb on the low beam, as i can see, but I'm open for suggestion on how others have done theirs.
I thought that the HID's are no good in a standard type halogen housing, well there no good with what I've got.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:34 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Hi Blue, I managed to replace my halogen H3 and H1 bulbs in my lamps with the Sun Woif sets I linked to above.

I had to grind out the mount slightly as the HID emitter was a larger diametre when compared to the H1 and H3 bulbs. The measurement from the bulb mount to the light emitter was the same for the HIDs as the same measurement on the respective halogen bulbs, so my HIDs work fine in my old housings - result!

I suspect that the Projectors that you're getting have H1 or H3 Halogen bulbs with a seperate bulb for low and for high - 2 bulbs each side. The low will be mounted in the projector lens - which provides the cut-off for the light coming out, with the highs being mounted in their dedicated reflector unit.

If I am correct, you should be able to convert your lows, or your highs, or both to HIDs with a small amount of grinding to the bases. The only issue should be that, if converting the lows, you'll need them to stay on, because of the delay in lighting up, when high beam is dipped.

If Adrian is right, and the projectors won't accept HID emitters (HID emitter length longer than halogen bulb and so HID wont install fully in behind the projector, then you could just leave the halogens in the projector lows and convert the highs to HIDs. In this case it wouldn't matter if the lows went off for high beam as there is only a small lag starting a halogen bulb.

Please post some photos of the project unit's bulb mounts and included bulbs (removed) when you get your projectors. If I see the photos I should be able to tell straight away what your options are.

Regards,
Simon

Quick Reply: LED Projectors