1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My '54 F100 (30 years later)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 06:45 AM
bchrismer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
Where in SW Missouri? I just got back from visiting my uncle in Wheatland, spent time in Springfield and Warsaw as well. I love it down there. Nice truck by the way.
I live in Springfield, and the '54 is currently living south of Ozark, at my brother-in-law's shop. It's nice to work on it in a HEATED garage, with the cold temps that we've had recently.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:24 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good to see you on here Bret. I did not have the eyes reversed on the springs, pretty sure I started with stock 53 springs. Glad you got it installed and are on the way to driving it again.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:46 PM
bchrismer
Senior User
LOL. Must have been someone before you, maybe. They are definitely reversed, though. I will definitely be using them later, after I get the front taken care of.

It may be a week, or so, before I get the chance to work on the truck again. In the mean time, I'm studying up on a few different wiring diagrams for the Overdrive tranny. When I was driving the truck, I never used the overdrive, but I was mainly just running around town. It appears that the previous owner had it wired up to a little toggle switch, on the dash, versus the switch on the accelerator pedal.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:53 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by bchrismer
LOL. Must have been someone before you, maybe. They are definitely reversed, though. I will definitely be using them later, after I get the front taken care of.

It may be a week, or so, before I get the chance to work on the truck again. In the mean time, I'm studying up on a few different wiring diagrams for the Overdrive tranny. When I was driving the truck, I never used the overdrive, but I was mainly just running around town. It appears that the previous owner had it wired up to a little toggle switch, on the dash, versus the switch on the accelerator pedal.
He probably had the toggle switch wired in place of the governor. Gives you six usable speeds forward. If memory serves me right, you had to turn the switch off to get into reverse. Anyway, neat as all get out. At least it seemed cool to this guy about 58 years ago.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:09 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

"They are definitely reversed, though"

Being hardheaded as I am I had to go look at some build photos and compare them to the factory manual. You are correct [sorry I doubted you], I cant imagine how they ended up on my truck, there was nothing low about it when I bought it. Sure sat good with them though.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:50 PM
bchrismer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Okiedokie
"They are definitely reversed, though"

Being hardheaded as I am I had to go look at some build photos and compare them to the factory manual. You are correct [sorry I doubted you], I cant imagine how they ended up on my truck, there was nothing low about it when I bought it. Sure sat good with them though.
LOL.

I gotta say, your '53 has always had the perfect stance. I'd like to try and get close to that, however, with the dropped axle and springs. I'm hard headed that way. ;-)

Old 11-17-2014, 12:29 PM
bchrismer
Senior User
Quick heater question...

I am assuming that the heater hoses are not correctly routed on my '54. This is how it's been since we bought it. I am guessing that the hose from the water pump should go to the valve, and the valve should go to the heater core, correct? It appears that the way that it is currently routed, there should be constant flow through the heater core.

NEVERMIND...Looked at MidFifty's page and found a PDF of the shop manual. Shows the pump to the upper heater core, out to the valve from the lower heater core, and back to the manifold from the bottom of the valve.

Last edited by bchrismer; 11-17-2014 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Found the answer to my own question...
Old 11-21-2014, 05:00 PM
bchrismer
Senior User
After nearly a week of patiently waiting for a chance to work on the truck, I burned a vacation day and ran down to Doug's shop for some work.

Since I was working alone, I bought some speed bleeders and bled the brakes, changed the oil and filter, and cranked over the motor to build up some oil pressure. ALL GOOD.

I put a longer piece of fuel hose on the fuel pump, and jammed the other into an oil bottle that had gas in it, hoping to get some suction out of it. No joy. New fuel pump is on the list anyway.

I cleaned the points and checked for spark, on the number one plug, then poured a little gas into the carb and cranked. It took a few tries, but finally it ran for a few seconds.

I told Harrier that I would post a video when I got it to run!

Hopefully I can score a fuel pump in the next week or so, and I can take it for a test spin.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:52 PM
bchrismer
Senior User
Well, temptation got the better of me and I wound up buying a new fuel pump on Sunday. One of the benefits of living in Springfield, the O'Reilly warehouse delivers to stores on Sundays!

Installed the new pump today and took the truck for a short spin.

Also took this quick video of it running.

Found that my alternator does not seem to be charging.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:14 PM
54-F100
Junior User
Rebuilt 239

Your story is almost identical to mine....except mine was parked in '85 and not nearly as straight as yours. I did have the 239 engine rebuilt in about '83 and I have decided to move towards the darkside on a whole new build of the same truck.
So, if you are interested in a rebuilt 239 with probably less than 6,000 miles on it, then let me know. We started it up about 4 months ago and it ran just how I remember it. It's still located at my Dad's house in Southwest Colorado and I plan on bringing cab & front clip to So Cal for a new chassis install this Summer.
Here's my build thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-30-years.html

Have fun!

Old 11-27-2014, 08:43 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Glad you got to drive it, sure looks like it sets good now. I know it will end up a good driver.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:06 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
Love it! Looks like Dorothy's twin sister! (my 54) Thanks for sharing a bit of the history of the truck with us, it really adds to our appreciation of it.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:00 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Sounds sweet! What kind of exhaust are you running?

Old 11-28-2014, 08:37 AM
bchrismer
Senior User
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
Sounds sweet! What kind of exhaust are you running?
Hey BJ,

It is 2" back to some 22" bodied NAPA glasspacks that I bought at Ken's Alto Parts, on First Capitol, back in 1984. Stock 239 Y-block with noisy lifters! ;-)

Peter, I have photos of "Dorothy" in my collection of 54 f100 photos. I thought the same thing!

Joe, the springs helped the back quite a bit. Also, the stock rear end seems to have some bad bearings, so your old one fixed that problem for me with minimal effort! GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Old 11-28-2014, 09:46 PM
bchrismer
Senior User
Originally Posted by 54-F100
So, if you are interested in a rebuilt 239 with probably less than 6,000 miles on it, then let me know. We started it up about 4 months ago and it ran just how I remember it. It's still located at my Dad's house in Southwest Colorado...

Have fun!
I'd love to have a much fresher Y-Block, but budget won't allow for that, at this point.

My build will not be near the depth of what you have going on. It'll be a low budget, "get it back on the road, then work on stuff as I can" mode. I'll be trying to sock back some coin, for next winter, to pull the cab off and start replacing floorboards and lower cowl sections.

Quick Reply: My '54 F100 (30 years later)