Twin Turbo Build!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:11 PM
doubledip
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Strokin_power
Hey all,

My quest for more POWER has finally come to fruition... I've been contemplating a supercharger for some time now but the only possible option was Whipple and, to be honest, I'm a turbo guy at heart... That coupled with the fact that the Whipple hadn't been truly proven on a 250 platform and there was only apparently one shop that had a tune... right... I wasn't overly keen on this option so held off.

Queue the folks at Underpressure Power & Performance (UPP) in Colorado. CK (the owner) and his crew specialize in Turbo applications and, most recently, have been working on a kit for the Raptor. I was keen on ascertaining opportunity for install on my truck (2013 F250) so inquired - CK expressed an interest and requested pics of the engine bay to determine if the kit for the raptor would cross pollinate. Everything looking good we decided to proceed.

I did my homework and these guys are the real deal (attention to detail and true craftsmanship) and very good to deal with thus far. Example - I'm up in BC (Canada) and needed to get my truck to CO somehow... CK actually flew out West to pick it up; talk about working with the customer!

Fast forward and my trucks at the shop now with the build starting soon.

I'll try and update this thread but encourage people to check out the UPP Facebook page here as CK will try to keep it updated with progress.

Also shoot me a PM with any questions and I'll try to answer or steer you in the right direction...

FYI, this is what we're starting with.
Any updates?

Old 03-01-2015, 02:41 PM
99and04F150
Junior User
On FB it looks like she is making 470 HP and 503 Ft. Lbs.....

Old 03-01-2015, 11:06 PM
jimd1050
Worry later? IT IS LATER!
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 99and04F150
On FB it looks like she is making 470 HP and 503 Ft. Lbs.....
Yeah baby!

Old 03-03-2015, 05:34 AM
99and04F150
Junior User
Actually I think its more than that.... check the other graph @10PSI...

545 @ 7PSI
675 @ 10PSI

Is that right?!?!?!

Old 03-03-2015, 10:33 AM
dontletoff
Freshman User
This is awesome. Can the motor hold together at 10 psi?

Old 03-04-2015, 09:46 AM
Strokin_power
Freshman User
Update

Hey All,

Apologies for the very protracted response time... I've been really busy with work and haven't had much 'play' time.

I do have my truck back and UPP did an incredible job on dialing this beast in. As a few of you have noticed, the UPP Facebook page has info/photos on the build so I recommend you check that out.

The quality of materials and craftsmanship on this project is second to none - CK and his team take pride in their work. He ended up using the larger (ball bearing) compressors as the original (smaller) compressor had some surging issues when under load and trying to pull this big girl up hill. The bigger turbo's have no issue whatsoever and will be great for pulling.

Now, as you can imagine, with any kit of this nature (never been done?) there are always a few gremlins to chase so we're currently working on that; nothing major so don't worry... mostly heat related issues (plug wires). The oil drain configuration on the super duty is also really tight (restrictive) with the large fan housing in relation to the oil pan so I've got some work to do on that to see if I can improve flow.

For those that asked - I've swapped the gearing to 4.88 and have an Air Locker in the rear and a Detroit True Trac in the front. The 37's are back on and I can say when the boost comes on with this thing it is awesome

I've also had the restrictive exhaust that was on the truck (2.5" with x-pipe and mufflers) removed and a straight true dual 3" setup installed. Numbers should be closer to the 545RWHP figures that UPP had on the dyno. I'm running at 7PSI right now (wastage spring) but have an EBoost2 to install and have some fun at higher boost levels.

The Raptor boys have been playing at this boost level and, although there have been some failures, everything seems to hold together. Certainly at 7PSI it should be safe.

Heres a couple pics of the finished product.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:02 AM
jstnromero
Postmaster
Where did you relocate your battery to?

Old 03-04-2015, 10:03 AM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
That looks amazing! Any videos?

Old 03-04-2015, 11:55 AM
Strokin_power
Freshman User
battery is in the Box now.

No videos yet. I still need to do some datalogging at sea level and have UPP compare to parameters they had in CO. We'll tweak the tune from there.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:48 PM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, 550rwhp AND 4.88 gears? Would you mind telling me which brand of tires you buy? I need to buy some stock in that company.

That engine bay is beautiful, they indeed do a top-notch job. Very, very nice.

Once you get the bugs worked out, and the tune finalized, I'd be interested to hear some of your comments regarding every day driveability, towing performance, mileage numbers and how it compares to those before the mods.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:09 PM
dontletoff
Freshman User
Thanks for the updates man. What a build this is. Has UPP contemplated making a kit now for the F250/350? I know my father is interested in this big time, but UPP is across the country so we would have to order the kit with instructions. Those are some serious gains though.

What made you go with the 4.88 gears? I figured with boost and traction issues, the 4.30 or even 3.73 would be a better option. Just curious.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:55 PM
ALMACK
Senior User
Nice build !

I have been thinking of doing a remote mount turbo system for my 2011 6.2.

It would be under the bed in the pass. side front corner.
( like the owner of the '94 Lightning in the attached pic did )

I figure I would be happy with 6-8 lbs of boost.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:19 AM
Strokin_power
Freshman User
Originally Posted by truckfella
Wow, 550rwhp AND 4.88 gears? Would you mind telling me which brand of tires you buy? I need to buy some stock in that company.

That engine bay is beautiful, they indeed do a top-notch job. Very, very nice.

Once you get the bugs worked out, and the tune finalized, I'd be interested to hear some of your comments regarding every day driveability, towing performance, mileage numbers and how it compares to those before the mods.
No Problem, I'm going to keep this thread updated with progress.

Originally Posted by dontletoff
Thanks for the updates man. What a build this is. Has UPP contemplated making a kit now for the F250/350? I know my father is interested in this big time, but UPP is across the country so we would have to order the kit with instructions. Those are some serious gains though.

What made you go with the 4.88 gears? I figured with boost and traction issues, the 4.30 or even 3.73 would be a better option. Just curious.
I would highly recommend your father give CK @UPP a call and discuss options. They have everything they need to fabricate a kit and I'm sure can work something out. Of course, we will be working on the tune over the next while to make sure everything is smooth as butter...

Re: 4.88 gears - I'm spinning 37's now and probably stepping up to 39.5's in the future.

Originally Posted by ALMACK
Nice build !

I have been thinking of doing a remote mount turbo system for my 2011 6.2.

It would be under the bed in the pass. side front corner.
( like the owner of the '94 Lightning in the attached pic did )
I would be very careful with how (where) you mount the intake... I suspect that lightning was a street queen; if that is the case with yours than you will be fine.

Looks like a cool project though...

Old 03-05-2015, 04:52 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks good. I wish I would have been watching this more. I just bought a set of 4.30s for my 37s. I really wanted to go 4.88s but didn't feel like playing around with kits since most vendors don't know what to say about the 37 spline pinion. I can take a guess to say it's a 10.25 gear set and you swapped to the older 31 spline yoke. Any idea of what bearings are used so I can start kicking myself for over spending on a 37 spline gear set.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:07 PM
Rubiconrod
Senior User
Originally Posted by projectnitemare
Looks good. I wish I would have been watching this more. I just bought a set of 4.30s for my 37s. I really wanted to go 4.88s but didn't feel like playing around with kits since most vendors don't know what to say about the 37 spline pinion. I can take a guess to say it's a 10.25 gear set and you swapped to the older 31 spline yoke. Any idea of what bearings are used so I can start kicking myself for over spending on a 37 spline gear set.
What brand gears did you buy? Yukon or Ford? I'm about ready to purchase 4.30's as well for more towing power but the Ford gears are twice the price of the Yukons. Sorry for the hijack. Sure wish I had the coin for a setup like this. Not sure it would pass california smog tests though....

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo Build!