1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

new guy, first post, few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 02:55 PM
toreadorxlt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new guy, first post, few questions

hello all... I just traded my 1930 pontiac hotrod I built for a 56 ford f100. Absolutely in love with the truck, it has a chevy motor /th350/ford 9", toyota power steering, and a disc brake conversion. most of the work is pretty clean, but the wiring seems to be a nightmare. this is also air over leaf in the rear, which I might 4link and maintain the air.

My major question is, how do I remove the ignition/interior light/headlight switches and cigarette lighter to aid in my rewiring of the truck? Seems a bit crazy to do all that work from the backside, do they come out easy?

Also, what causes the big door gap I have up top when the door is shut? Is there an easy place to adjust the striker?

Here are some pics of the truck. I just got paint to blend in the primer areas. I am a metal fab guy/metalshaper so none of the building/fab stuff scares me. Heres some pics of it.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:12 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love it! That's the style I like. What size are those tires?

Can't help with the questions as I haven't taken my dash apart or adjusted my doors...but congrats on the truck!

Old 11-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

That's a great looking truck! And your hotrod is nice also. That trade must have been a hard decision to make.

I am not familiar with the door adjustments on the "newer" trucks, but on the Bonus Builts, the adjustment in the Shop Manual is basically forcing the errant door into position by bracing against a mallet or such. For example, if the top is out too far, you stick a mallet head down low and force the door against it.

Here's the info from the 48-52 Shop Manual. You really should get one for your year.

Name:  Door alignment_Page_1.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  149.9 KB

Name:  Door alignment_Page_2.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  169.5 KB

Name:  Door alignment_Page_3.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  111.1 KB

Old 11-11-2014, 05:17 PM
toreadorxlt
New User
thanks for the replies! this helps. anybody know about the removal of dash switches?

Old 11-11-2014, 05:41 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Welcome! I'm not versed on the bezelyou have. The Bonus Built"s have quarter turn (counter clockwise) process. The light switch has a pressure clip relieved with a screw driver blade. The Shop Manual is a great resource for these type of questions.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:11 AM
jonf
Senior User
Removing the light switch

On the switch itself, there is a button that you push to remove the "stalk". Reach behind the dash and push that button in and pull the **** and then the stalk comes right out. Then unscrew the bezel to get the switch off the dash.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:01 AM
1950FordF1
Senior User
HL Switch

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  134.3 KBTo remove the post you must insert a small screwdriver through the slot to press in on the brass colored keeper pictured. The small slot is visible as you look up at it in the dash. The chrome bezel un screws.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:54 AM
toreadorxlt
New User
thanks guys this helps alot. I will be buying a service manual for sure

Old 11-12-2014, 05:23 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Note: 48-52 use old technology/parts info not applicable to 53-56. I wrote a detailed response to this that went POOF! into cyberspace when I tried to post it and the forum once again decided I took too long to write it! THAT IS SO FRUSTRATING!!!
If I get enough time and over my aggravation I will rewrite the door adjustment part (you DONT bend the hinges on the 53-56 like in the 48-52 manual!), but to answer the dash **** question applicable to the 53-56:
Light switch: reach up to the top of the switch mechanism and find the spring loaded button near the dash. While holding it down, pull on the **** until the **** and shaft comes out of the dash.
Rest of *****: locate set screw on bottom of **** near dash. loosen set screw (don't remove or lose!) until **** can be pulled off switch or cable.
Bezels to free switch or cable: If you look there are two slots in bezel near center. You can buy a special spanner wrench to unscrew them or make your own by cutting a 3/4" deep notch of appropriate width in an appropriate width and thickness piece of light flat stock ~ 6" long. Put the last 3/8" of the notched end in a vise and bend to near right angle. Use as wrench in slots and unscrew bezel. Or finally if you don't plan on reusing them or are very careful you can place the end of a flat screwdriver in one of the slots at a shallow angle and tap with a light hammer to loosen/turn the bezel until it can be unscrewed by hand. Now the switch/cable can be removed from behind the dash.

Quality 12V universal color coded wire with the circuit name printed on the wire every 6" wiring harnesses can be obtained with 12-21 circuit fuse blocks for < 175.00 From EZ Wiring, Rebel, Speedway Motors and several others. It is not necessary to spend the "big bucks" from the heavily advertised "name" manufacturers. Wire is wire, let someone else pay for the advertising. It is a very good idea to replace all the 60 year old deteriorating wire and connectors with completely new, and it's not very difficult to do. Better and cheaper than breaking down on the side of the road or watching your truck burn to the ground when an old wire shorts out!

Old 11-12-2014, 06:18 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
Note: 48-52 use old technology/parts info not applicable to 53-56. If I get enough time and over my aggravation I will rewrite the door adjustment part (you DONT bend the hinges on the 53-56 like in the 48-52 manual!)
I should stop trying to help guys with the newer trucks.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:05 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice truck! I love those white walls! Chucky agrees!

Old 11-12-2014, 07:24 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
Note: 48-52 use old technology/parts info not applicable to 53-56. I wrote a detailed response to this that went POOF! into cyberspace when I tried to post it and the forum once again decided I took too long to write it! THAT IS SO FRUSTRATING!!!
If I get enough time and over my aggravation I will rewrite the door adjustment part (you DONT bend the hinges on the 53-56 like in the 48-52 manual!)!
AX
I find it best to write long comments in word, notepad etc. Once I'm done, checked it out, and make any adjustments I copy and paste it into a reply!

Old 11-12-2014, 07:28 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,840 Likes on 1,839 Posts
Welcome to the board!!

That's a great looking truck! those wide whites really set off the paint scheme.

When I wired up my truck I used a harness from EZ Wiring. I used the 21 circuit harness and was (am) very pleased with it. It was a reasonable price, very good quality, the wires are all color coded and labeled, etc. Well worth it.

Bobby

Old 11-12-2014, 07:49 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Welcome to FTE
Great looking truck. And pictures so soon.
Agree that changing the 55 plus year old wiring is the way to go. And it's pretty simple. If you need parts MidFiftys is a good start. If your looking for wiring (Fle)eBay has several different sets most of the time. You might want to do a search as to who has the best tech staff. Enjoy the Ride

Old 11-13-2014, 08:58 AM
bchrismer
Senior User
I prefer the panels that are not "prewired" so that you only have the wires there that you need, and you don't have to clip and terminate any that you don't.

My favorite panel is the old "Enos Black Box", which is now sold by RacersRods. </title> <meta name="robots" content="index,follow" /> <meta name="GOOGLEBOT" content="INDEX, FOLLOW" /> <link rel="canonical" href="http://www.racersrods.com" /> <script type="text/javascript" src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4.2/jquery To connect to the board, you strip the wire and insert it under the terminal clamp. No need to crimp or solder an end on them, just at the end that connects to the device that needs to be powered.

They also have GREAT instructions that help you wire your vehicle circuit by circuit.

Quick Reply: new guy, first post, few questions