1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote start questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 01:23 PM
kevindsingleton
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote start questions

I know this isn't particular to the Super Duty trucks, but I'll start, here, and see where it goes.

I just bought a 2015 F250, and had the dealer install the Ford "factory" remote start system (four-button keys). I've had remote starters, before, but this one does not engage the heater/defrost system, even if it is left on. I do not have the automatic climate control; it's just the manual climate control.

Is there some way to enable the remote start to allow it to turn the defrost on? Without that function, it's barely useful to even start the truck, remotely.

Thanks, in advance.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:26 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
All I can say is that the heat/defrost does come on if I leave it on when I use the factory remote on my 2011 F350. Not sure if the hvac controls have changed since then; probably not. I don't use the automatic setting though - I have it set at, say, 75 degrees.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:36 AM
kevindsingleton
New User
Originally Posted by seville009
All I can say is that the heat/defrost does come on if I leave it on when I use the factory remote on my 2011 F350. Not sure if the hvac controls have changed since then; probably not. I don't use the automatic setting though - I have it set at, say, 75 degrees.
I'll check it, again, but I'm pretty sure it works the way I described, in my case.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:49 AM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Also.....don't forget to turn the blower motor way up.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:57 AM
kevindsingleton
New User
Also.....don't forget to turn the blower motor way up.
I made sure of that, and took it by the dealership, yesterday. The blower doesn't come on when I start it remotely. The salesman at the store confirmed my complaint, but didn't know what to do about it. He said to come back when there is a mechanic around to take a look.

Then, this happened: This morning, it's 22 degrees. I left the heat turned up all the way when I parked the truck, last night. I started it, this morning, using the remote starter (twice, because it's that cold). When I went out to leave for work, the blower was going full blast, and the interior was very comfortable.

So, now I'm wondering if it's temperature sensitive, which has to be a configuration parameter, and how I go about setting it the way I want it. I'll take it to the dealer, and see if they kept the programming instructions when they installed the remote starter. If not, I'll see if they can get a copy, or direct me to an online source.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:38 AM
seville009
Logistics Pro
I've noticed that in my 2011 - don't feel heat come out unless i crank it up to 73 or so (in just regular use). I also have a 2006 F350 where i don't have that issue.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:56 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kevindsingleton
... I'll take it to the dealer, and see if they kept the programming instructions when they installed the remote starter. If not, I'll see if they can get a copy, or direct me to an online source.
Good idea, kevindsingleton; be sure to let us know what you find out.

Crystal

Old 11-17-2014, 02:44 PM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Kevin if you don't mind me asking, what did it set you back to have it installed? I am regretting my decision not to order it factory installed.

Thanks

Old 11-18-2014, 05:41 AM
seville009
Logistics Pro
One more thing - I don't think the blower kicks in until the engine is warm enough to start producing heat. Say it's 20 outside and you have your heater set to 75 and your fan set on max. If you remote start it and get into it a few minutes later, the fan will be just a light breeze. If you pur the key in and turn it on, the fan will kick in to your setting. This presumably is done so that you don't have cold air blowing strongly. Therefore, have to give it time for the engine to actually get warm.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:11 AM
JM96F250
Senior User
Originally Posted by gasman6674
Kevin if you don't mind me asking, what did it set you back to have it installed? I am regretting my decision not to order it factory installed.

Thanks
Mine was a $300 option but they tossed that in for free when I was haggling.

My system kicks on just fine as long as I leave it on the night before. Though, the blower seems to kick in a lot more when I get the key into the ignition.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:09 AM
kevindsingleton
New User
Originally Posted by FordService
Good idea, kevindsingleton; be sure to let us know what you find out.

Crystal
Ok, here's what I've found out:

I called and talked to the mechanic who installed the remote starter. He doesn't have the instructions (!), and said that I wouldn't be able to program the system, anyway, because I don't have the tools. Hmm.

He, also, said that I was the first person to ever complain about the operation of the remote starter, which is a little hard to believe, but, for all I know, this is his first installation. He wasn't able to describe the functions that he programmed, or any of the parameters that he set, so I can't help but wonder if he didn't just connect the wires and sign off on the service order.

Anyway, it does work, in a fashion. If it's very cold out (I don't know what the threshold is, but COLD!), the truck will start, and the heat will come on, blowing full blast. As long as the temperature **** is adjusted to a warm setting, it will warm up the cab, and defrost the windshield. As soon as I turn the key to the "on" position, the fan speed changes to whatever the physical **** is set to provide. If it's on very low, it drops down to that setting when I turn the key to "on".

I suppose that's how it should work, but it would be great to read the manual and understand what it's doing, and under what conditions.

I'm interested to see whether it will engage the A/C, when it's hot outside.

I can live with the way it works, now that I know what to expect. I'd still like to see the configuration parameters, to see if performance could be tweaked to better meet my needs.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Pit Crew
Senior User
16 degrees when I started the truck (remote start) after work today..got in maybe a minute after I started it. Fan was running full blast when I got in. Put the key in and turned it,fan quit. Looked down and fan was off. Definitely temp sensitive.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:12 AM
kevindsingleton
New User
Originally Posted by Pit Crew
16 degrees when I started the truck (remote start) after work today..got in maybe a minute after I started it. Fan was running full blast when I got in. Put the key in and turned it,fan quit. Looked down and fan was off. Definitely temp sensitive.
Any idea what the threshold might be? I just want it to do what I tell it to do!

I'm interested to see how it handles a warm day (we don't get hot days in Pittsburgh!).

Old 11-19-2014, 07:16 AM
kevindsingleton
New User
Originally Posted by gasman6674

Thanks
I had spec'd out a build, online, which included a remote starter, and insisted that they include it in the deal. They had to order it, so it took about 10 days to finally get it installed, but it was done before it got really cold.

The dealer said that it's a $400 option, partly because he has to pay a mechanic $100/hr for four hours of labor. The listing on the Ford site showed it as a $250 option, when it comes from the factory, though.

I had a $189 third-party remote starter in another truck that was user configurable, and would open the windows from the remote, so I'm a little underwhelmed by the Ford offering, but I expect it's a little more robust than some of the low-cost remote starters you see being sold around town.

Last edited by kevindsingleton; 11-19-2014 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-19-2014, 07:20 AM
kevindsingleton
New User
One more thing - I don't think the blower kicks in until the engine is warm enough to start producing heat. Say it's 20 outside and you have your heater set to 75 and your fan set on max. If you remote start it and get into it a few minutes later, the fan will be just a light breeze. If you pur the key in and turn it on, the fan will kick in to your setting. This presumably is done so that you don't have cold air blowing strongly. Therefore, have to give it time for the engine to actually get warm.
Maybe that's the problem: the darn thing is too smart for me!

When I took it to the dealer, the engine was at full operating temp, and the fan switch was on "full blast", but no air was blowing. It was warm-ish, that evening, probably 50 degrees, so maybe it didn't think I needed heat (which was true; I was just trying to test and confirm the operating parameters).

Quick Reply: Remote start questions