6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Regen Notification

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 06:53 AM
skipcox
Mountain Pass

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
Wait just one minute....... I can't find a full size picture of this beautiful DRW truck.
Somebody give me a quick and dirty tutorial on posting a pic!
Thanks,
Skip

Old 11-13-2014, 07:47 AM
skipcox
Mountain Pass

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2015 Lariat with Lariat Ultimate package

Wait just one minute....... I can't find a full size picture of this beautiful DRW truck.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:15 AM
rivrrts429
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skipcox
2015 Lariat with Lariat Ultimate package
Beautiful Truck, Congrats!

That's the same color combo and trim level I wanted but was only available in 2x4 locally and I needed 4x4.

You will love it.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:26 AM
Grizzly_70
New User
New to the Diesel world.

My 2012 F-250 Lariat FX-4

Love the picture of the DRW. I am brand new to the diesel market myself. I pulled the trigger and got me a '12 SRW 250 lariat. Only had it three days now, and just got snow on it for the first time!

Anyways, I have tons of questions about these diesels, I've heard so many good things about them and then I found a forum about people having regen problems and something about it dumping fuel into the left bank and having an engine rebuild and stuff. It's all scary. I want this truck to last me for a very long time so I want to take care of it like it's a child.

So my first question is this... how long does the regen supposed to last and do you have to wait until it's finished before you stop and shut it off?

My first one happened yesterday on the highway, I noticed the loud noise (louder than normal) and the little flash came on, but I had to park it about 5 minutes later. I didn't know if it finished or what. Appreciate all the advice. I agree about the great forum!

Old 11-13-2014, 12:39 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Grizzly_70
http://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford-trucks.com-vbulletin/2000x1124/80-clifford_jr_snow2_2204b403d004bed25119b3499f3e2173 556d287c.jpg

My 2012 F-250 Lariat FX-4

Love the picture of the DRW. I am brand new to the diesel market myself. I pulled the trigger and got me a '12 SRW 250 lariat. Only had it three days now, and just got snow on it for the first time!

Anyways, I have tons of questions about these diesels, I've heard so many good things about them and then I found a forum about people having regen problems and something about it dumping fuel into the left bank and having an engine rebuild and stuff. It's all scary. I want this truck to last me for a very long time so I want to take care of it like it's a child.

So my first question is this... how long does the regen supposed to last and do you have to wait until it's finished before you stop and shut it off?

My first one happened yesterday on the highway, I noticed the loud noise (louder than normal) and the little flash came on, but I had to park it about 5 minutes later. I didn't know if it finished or what. Appreciate all the advice. I agree about the great forum!
They last about 5-10mins. If you monitor your instantaneous fuel consumption, you will see it pick back up once the regen is done.

You don't do anything wrong with shutting your truck off during a regen.

As for the regen issue you mentioned, its to do with the drivers side exhaust valves. If your truck makes excessive noise and/or vibrates during regen, you should take it to the dealer to get them replaced. There is a TSB for it.

You mentioned your truck is noisier during regen - it shouldn't be. Or at least I don't recall mine being noisier when I had emissions equipment on it.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:34 PM
Grizzly_70
New User
Originally Posted by BigF350
They last about 5-10mins. If you monitor your instantaneous fuel consumption, you will see it pick back up once the regen is done.

As for the regen issue you mentioned, its to do with the drivers side exhaust valves. If your truck makes excessive noise and/or vibrates during regen, you should take it to the dealer to get them replaced. There is a TSB for it.

You mentioned your truck is noisier during regen - it shouldn't be. Or at least I don't recall mine being noisier when I had emissions equipment on it.

It wasn't really noisy, just sounded like a loud engine fan starting up. Wasn't alarming, I was just thinking it was odd. Also by TSB does that mean that Ford will pay for the engine rebuild?

Last edited by Grizzly_70; 11-13-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: wanted to add a question.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:58 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Mind isn't any noisier during a regen, Is it hot out where you are at? That sounds like the radiator fan might have turned on at the same time.

If it is noisier I too think something is potentially wrong.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:03 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Grizzly_70
It wasn't really noisy, just sounded like a loud engine fan starting up. Wasn't alarming, I was just thinking it was odd. Also by TSB does that mean that Ford will pay for the engine rebuild?
If you notice the engine has vibration during regen, the TSB is to fix that by replacing the exhaust valves.

If you let it continue, and it eventually drops a valve and you need an engine rebuild that is another thing entirely, and I'm sure dependent on if you are still within the powertrain warranty or not etc.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:49 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigF350

Mine makes no different noise during a regen, the only time mine is "louder" is when I tow fairly heavy, then just because of the different shift patterns I suppose (holds lower gears longer in Tow / Haul mode). Also, just another note, if the truck flashes "cleaning exhaust filter" just before you shut it off, or it doesn't complete the regen, it will regen again fairly soon. I've had it happen a few times. I've never seen the "drive to clean filter" message yet though.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:40 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
If you get the regen message and you know it is still in the process when you park, let it idle a few minutes to bring the EGT's down. It might be hot enough to complete most of the cycle.

Incomplete regens will eventually give the drive to clean message.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:16 AM
Lastwagen
Senior User
This 2015 is a little different than the 2012. The message is now "Exhaust Filter Overloaded, Drive to Clean". After clearing that and it starts a regen, the message "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" will stay on for the duration unless I hit OK and clear it.
For those with CTS, the soot level was up to 3.89 before I got the Drive to Clean message whereas the 2012 would always start exactly at 2.67.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:27 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Read the tech folder and download the coffee table book on the 6.7. It will help lot with explaining the EGR/HPFP/DPF and the SCR systems.

I can't download the coffee table book as the website says that you have to be a member and you can't be a member if you aren't a professional mechanic.
Anybody got a link that works? Or can someone put it in dropbox?

Old 11-16-2014, 12:52 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Lastwagen
This 2015 is a little different than the 2012. The message is now "Exhaust Filter Overloaded, Drive to Clean". After clearing that and it starts a regen, the message "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" will stay on for the duration unless I hit OK and clear it.
For those with CTS, the soot level was up to 3.89 before I got the Drive to Clean message whereas the 2012 would always start exactly at 2.67.
Well that's interesting. Do you notice more distance between regenerations now? An extra 1 gpl is at least another 80-100 miles.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:41 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
I can't download the coffee table book as the website says that you have to be a member and you can't be a member if you aren't a professional mechanic.
Anybody got a link that works? Or can someone put it in dropbox?
It's this link: https://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-man....7L_Diesel.pdf

Old 11-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Lastwagen
Senior User
Well that's interesting. Do you notice more distance between regenerations now? An extra 1 gpl is at least another 80-100 miles.
Definitely more miles between regens. I don't track the miles but do run the same trips nearly every day. The 2012 would regen every day. Now it's every 4 or 5 days. This 2015 has a much wider soot level band than the 2012. I honestly think that the catalytic portion of the DPF was contaminated and not functioning as designed. Since the catalyst is what starts the fire that burns soot. The regen cycle was getting shorter and shorter. I'm not using any fuel additives in the 2015.

Quick Reply: Regen Notification