1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OFFICIAL: TRUCKSTOCK 2015 Fall Creek Falls Park, Pikeville, TN Sept 17-20

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 01:41 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by fordf348
Why do you warn against the BRP?

The BRP is absolutely gorgeous. I can't speak for any part of it except the part from Asheville to Cherokee and on to Gatlinburg. It's a tremendously curvy road with lots of ups and downs, switchbacks, steep grades, etc. The scenery is amazing, but it would be rough on an old truck with manual drum brakes. The posted speed limit is 45 mph, and it's hard for even a sports car to go very much faster than that. I drove a brand-new Z28 through there several years ago. It's a workout. The more I think about it, go for it if you have the time. But don't expect to make record time through there, and the tourist car traffic can get pretty congested. I've been told the part east of Asheville is not as mountainous.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:30 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
That's good info to remember! BTW, lots of people take Prilosec twice a day. And a little zantac here and there can be quite the helper when you drive by a nice barbeque joint down in Tennessee.
Thanks! I love free medical device! Currently, I don't take and meds at all, and I'm trying to keep it that way as long as I can. I wish I could be at Truckstock, but it's always scheduled as the same week-end as my Fiero Club's Run for the Hills. I'll be with you in spirit. The BBQ joint is the one with the mini-golf out front. I hope all of you have a GREAT time!

Old 08-19-2015, 11:18 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Countdown: 28 Days away

I just wanted to remind anyone that is planning to attend to please PM me with your email address if you are not already on the TS15 email list. As of right now, it looks like we have at least 15 members attending, but I only have 13 that have confirmed with me.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:18 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Joe just wanted to let you know plans have changed and we will not be making it to Truckstock this year. We hope you all have a great time. Have fun

Old 08-22-2015, 01:42 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Sorry to hear that Dave.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:11 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Joe but when your wife doesn't really enjoy old trucks or cars it is sometimes hard to justify a weekend just having fun with it. If your better half enjoys it with you celebrate and count your blessings. Have fun.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:40 PM
fordf348
Laughing Gas
Received 158 Likes on 92 Posts
Looks like the wife has some work commitments that she must attend to so Truckstock 15 is out for us. Probably will make a run on Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway the week after in the truck
Skyline and BRP were both built when most vehicles had either mechanical or drum brakes, so I guess it should still be able to do it
Ed
near Philadelphia

Old 08-24-2015, 07:50 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Looks like the wife has some work commitments that she must attend to so Truckstock 15 is out for us. Probably will make a run on Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway the week after in the truck
Skyline and BRP were both built when most vehicles had either mechanical or drum brakes, so I guess it should still be able to do it
Ed
near Philadelphia
Sorry to hear that Ed, I was looking forward to seeing you both again.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:52 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by 49f3dls
Thanks Joe but when your wife doesn't really enjoy old trucks or cars it is sometimes hard to justify a weekend just having fun with it. If your better half enjoys it with you celebrate and count your blessings. Have fun.
Ed
near Philadelphia

Sorry to hear that both of you won't be attending. We'll miss you guys!!!

Old 08-25-2015, 06:35 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
OK, it's time for my annual whining about having a hard time attending but here goes.

I reserved a cabin when this all first came up. Between that time and now things have changed. As some of you probably know the wife and I took a plunge and bought a house because my oldest son proposed to his girlfriend and since he's dairy farming on the family farm it only made sense that they stay on the farm and continue. That meant we had to find somewhere else to live. I am also trying to get my business building cleared out and sold. Money has gotten a little tight.

But I'm still planning on coming down with a slightly different plan. I was planning on driving the F-2 down but that would have taken twice as long to drive using only back roads. The new plan is to use my son's '13 F-150 to make the trip. I don't want to use my daily driver for two reasons, one it's a '04 Dodge, second it has close to 200K on the dial and don't think I want to chance it. Breaking down with the F-2 along the road would have just added to the adventure, breaking down with a modern truck would just be a boring story.

I haven't been keeping up on this post, I've been kind of busy. Are there going to be a lot of old Fords showing up? I am strongly thinking of driving the F-2 up on the trailer and bringing it down behind the '13 F-150. If there's going to be a decent showing of old Fords and a cruise is planned I don't want to do in a newer truck.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:08 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by bobj49f2
OK, it's time for my annual whining about having a hard time attending but here goes.

I reserved a cabin when this all first came up. Between that time and now things have changed. As some of you probably know the wife and I took a plunge and bought a house because my oldest son proposed to his girlfriend and since he's dairy farming on the family farm it only made sense that they stay on the farm and continue. That meant we had to find somewhere else to live. I am also trying to get my business building cleared out and sold. Money has gotten a little tight.

But I'm still planning on coming down with a slightly different plan. I was planning on driving the F-2 down but that would have taken twice as long to drive using only back roads. The new plan is to use my son's '13 F-150 to make the trip. I don't want to use my daily driver for two reasons, one it's a '04 Dodge, second it has close to 200K on the dial and don't think I want to chance it. Breaking down with the F-2 along the road would have just added to the adventure, breaking down with a modern truck would just be a boring story.

I haven't been keeping up on this post, I've been kind of busy. Are there going to be a lot of old Fords showing up? I am strongly thinking of driving the F-2 up on the trailer and bringing it down behind the '13 F-150. If there's going to be a decent showing of old Fords and a cruise is planned I don't want to do in a newer truck.
Bob, thanks so much for chiming in, I was a bit worried about your attendance because I was aware of the things that you mentioned. I for one would be disappointed if you were not to be there.
Regarding how many trucks will be there, here is what I know and what I know and what I believe.

I will of course have Edith there, AFAIK Doc will be driving his F1 and his dad in the Shoebox. Ty will be driving a vintage T bird, Ray should be in the 56, Jolly Roger Joe is driving a car from CA. and Dave is driving the panel.

The rest I am not sure of, hopefully they will post.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:10 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I'm driving my truck again.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:50 PM
larryb346
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
We are planning in being there. I am still on the fence as to what to drive. If the weather looks favorable and not stormy, we are considering driving my hotrod. The 55 pickup is very low geared and not highway friendly. If the weather looks rainy or stormy we will drive a modern car.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again and meeting new people

Old 08-26-2015, 08:33 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
I'll be there sometime Thursday night, driving an '06 Explorer. My sheet metal is still in the paint shop. (been 11.5 months, so far)

Old 08-26-2015, 09:53 AM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Joe
I am actually driving down my 67 Mustang. I know that isn't one of my trucks but the distance is a factor. After I leave TN I am heading to Charleston, SC for a week so I need something that can do a 1800 mile trip. The T-bird motor is sitting at the machine shop waiting for heads to get done and that puts too much crunch on me, so the Stang it is! Looking forward to seeing everyone.

On a side note, those of us in the Great Lakes area have been hit hard by gas prices. We went from 2.27 a gallon to 3.19 overnight a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately the price gouging has lessened and prices are dropping again.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL: TRUCKSTOCK 2015 Fall Creek Falls Park, Pikeville, TN Sept 17-20