Sponsored by: DP Tuner

AE reading request - must be '02-'03 manual tranny truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 04:52 PM
montanasteve
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AE reading request - must be '02-'03 manual tranny truck

I need someone with AE and a '02-'03 manual transmission (PCM code AEB3 or AEB4) to pull a few readings for me. If you have an automatic tranny, you can stop reading now, unless you're overly bored/curious. I need:

1. Engine oil temp
2. Engine coolant temp
3. Transmission temp
4. Outside air temp (not from AE)

I'm resuming my battle against massive smoke and a miss during cold starts. Only the manual tranny trucks have the second engine coolant temp sensor installed. For automatic tranny trucks, the engine coolant temp PID in AE is junk info. I want to know if it's the same for manual tranny trucks as well. Mine reads all over the place, similar to what auto truck owners get when they try that PID. On our manual trucks, the second ECT sensor feeds the same PCM input as the transmission temp sender does on auto trucks, so it's possible that we can use the PID for tranny temp to see the second coolant temp reading. I'm going to try that myself, but I'd like confirmation readings from someone else (who doesn't have a toxic cloud during cold starts!).

According to all available info, our timing advance for cold temps is based solely on the EOT, just like on the auto trucks. However, there is a note that the second ECT can enable an adaptive fueling map if the coolant temp exceeds 225F. I'm trying to rule out every possible cause. My EOT reads perfectly through AE, so that isn't my issue.

If you didn't catch any of my threads from last winter, I've THOROUGHLY tested every portion of the glow plug circuit (battery-tested the plugs, relay functions properly, wire harness was tested, UVCH's tested, $.50 mod in place), I have new injectors, tuning was verified by Cody, etc. Both Cody and I are at a loss on this. He dropped off an identical PCM (AEB3) and known good IDM to try as well.

The truck starts immediately without issue, even when cold, which rules out the glow plugs as a cause (even though, for everyone's sake, I beat that dead horse thoroughly). And it's not due to the EBPV delete - I have way more smoke than any other 7.3, prior to when the EBPV would activate.

I'm pretty much down to:
1. Second ECT sensor bad and somehow throwing fuel map/timing off.
2. Bad PCM not advancing timing for good cold EOT readings.
3. Bad IDM not sending enough juice, which somehow clears up when EOT hits 100F. I could see injectors responding better to an underperforming IDM once the oil is warmer.

If someone can get me the AE readings, it'd be much appreciated. Cheers.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:08 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Where is the second ECT? My coolant temp is off when cold and then kicks in and starts working at a certain temp. Don't remember what that is. From what I remember, tranny temps never made any sense so I stopped looking.

I'll see if my scangauge can read tranny temps tomorrow. If not, I'll dig out the AE when I get a chance and see what I get.

Are you looking for cold temps or after it's warmed up? What about a tuner? How will that affect things since most tunes are written around the auto tranny's? Will that throw any of the adaptive fueling map off? (question for Cody)

Lastly, what happens if you unplug the second ECT sensor? Will it just read default and solve or rule out your issue?

Mine's an 02 6 speed, but I don't remember the PCM code.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:24 PM
montanasteve
Senior User
Chris, I believe the main ECT sensor that all trucks have is on the thermostat housing. That's the one that feeds the dummy coolant gauge in the dash, bypassing the PCM. The second one on manual trucks is on the water pump. That one feeds pin 37 of the PCM, which on auto trucks, is where the transmission temp sensor feeds. I'd love to know what you read on a cold and warm engine for ECT, EOT, and transmission temp.

I had Cody take a look at the tunes - he didn't see any way that the ECT was/could be referenced. But I picked up a new ECT sensor for $15 from Ford anyways. If I see different readings between yours and mine, you can bet it's going in there for a test run.

With the way it runs, I've analyzed all the sensors that affect fuel/timing. I'm getting there, just need to rule out ECT, PCM, and IDM. Once I do, I'll follow up on my past posts so everyone can get the data.

Thanks Chris!

Old 11-10-2014, 07:32 PM
montanasteve
Senior User
Chris, as for unplugging the ECT and starting, I'm sure I tried it at some point last year. But, I've looked up the value for an unplugged EOT, and it's based on a warmer temp (can't recall exact temp). I'm sure the ECT is something similar.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:01 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
While you and I have already discussed this, I feel it's worth sharing with the readers.

Reman 160/100 injectors on Cody's tuning:

20 days later with new 160/100 injectors and no other changes:

Old 11-11-2014, 09:40 AM
montanasteve
Senior User
Yes that's correct, Rich. I had the same smoke problem prior to my injector swap, which is still present. It's possible that my old injectors were toast, and my remans have an issue as well. I'm just doing my due diligence to rule out everything else that could contribute prior to blaming the injectors. Once hunting season is over, I'm going to dive back in to the truck. I'm gathering all the info I can at this point.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:33 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Readings taken from Aeroforce scangauge. First reading at 4:15 am key on before cold start. No real change after the truck started. Second reading was about 15 minutes later. Third reading was 45 minutes after the first. Last reading was 5pm coming home while driving.

OAT 51 51 51 50

EOT 47 190 196 205

ECT 195 198 202 205

Trans Temp 1 18 42 42 42 45

Trans temp 2 (not sure what this is but it always read 340.8 no matter what so I assume it's a nothing reading.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:10 AM
montanasteve
Senior User
50F at 4:15am! Warm! It's -16F here right now. Thanks for the data Chris. Looks like the ECT and trans temp readings are bunk for us with the manual tranny trucks as well. We can put that issue to rest for everyone.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:56 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
The problem is that a cold front hit after that and it only warmed back up to 50 by the end of the day. We call that miserably cold down here. It was 78 for the high the day before.

The ECT numbers as I have them posted are a little misleading. When cold, the temp starts at 195 and starts to climb, but not at the same rate as the oil temp does. Once the coolant temp hits a certain temp, it bounces back down and starts reading within 5 - 10 degrees of oil temp.

I don't believe there's any temp sensor on our tranny which is why I was surprised you needed the info.

At least you can rule that out. Now if you'd kindly come down here and get your cold weather and bring it back with you I'm tired of being cold. Highs in the 40's today with a stiff wind.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:07 AM
montanasteve
Senior User
40's?! That's t-shirt weather up here.

I wanted to look at the trans temp reading, as the trans temp sensor on auto trucks feeds the same pin on the PCM that the second ECT sensor does on the manual trucks. I was wondering if the second ECT data on ours was coming through as the transmission temp PID, but you showed that's not the case. I wanted confirmation from someone else, as I wasn't completely sure my second ECT sensor was good. Thanks again for taking the time to grab data.