6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Truck Quest

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Truck Quest

Hey all,

So the wife and I have been talking about replacing my truck for a while now, I have 2 in my sights.

The first 1 is a 11 F350 Lariat Dually with 38k on the clock, its my first pick, however the price is a little high for me, but it has what I want already on it.

So my #2 pick is a 08 King Ranch Dually with 38k on it also. This truck was my buddy's truck and he just traded it in on a 15 that he ordered. So my question is what should I look for other than the radiator issue. I've spent all my time working on the 6.0 so I know my way around it pretty good. The price on the 08 I think is reasonable and the bonus for me is its a Ford Dealership. I may put a warranty on it, or I may just delete it and be done with it.

How does the 6.4 pull compared to the 6.0, and I know the fuel mileage will be less unless I delete it, but for those that are deleted what do you get towing, my 5er is right around 13k.

Are delete kits still out there for the 6.4, if I wind up with the 6.7 I obviously will just add a monitor and that will be it.

I guess if none of this pans out I will put some more money in my truck and just wind up keeping it forever I guess.

Thanks,

Sarge

Old 11-10-2014, 07:02 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't compare a tuned 6.4 to a tuned 6.0, I never owned a 6.0. But once your past the 08 DPF issue basically all you have to watch for is the water in the fuel system issue. Problem is the 6.7 has the same problem, you get water in the pump, your SOL.
And although I've never owned a 6.0, the 6.4 tuned is a pretty powerful machine.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:07 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Sarge,

Not sure if you remember me from the 6.0 forum but I left in 2010, If you like your 6.0 and your planning on getting a 6.4 and deleting it you won't be disappointed! I love my truck, I also maintain it to a T!

Old 11-10-2014, 08:04 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had an '05 6.0L. I liked the way it pulled. But it was giving me problems at 47K. I got rid of it and went to an '06 F150 for awhile. It worked out alright, but the fuel mileage towing in wind or hilly terrain sucked. I went with an '08 CCSB 6.4L Job 2 truck. I ran it 1000 miles stock to get a good baseline. It got high 15's mpg highway and low to mid 11's towing my 7000# enclosed car hauler. Slightly worse than my 6.0L highway and slightly better than the 6.0L towing. I deleted it and baselined it again. I usually get low to mid 19's highway and 12-13 towing now. I never did that well with my 6.0. So far I am pleased with the 6.4L. And it is a beast for towing. I keep up with the maintenance, especially the fuel system.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:10 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Thanks for all the help guys. I went and looked at the 08 yesterday, and other than the low miles it didn't look very well maintained. It had a lot of wear on the inside and dings dents and scratches all over it.

It also felt like it was missing under load so although the price was right I passed on it.

The quest continues, I haven't ruled out the 6.4, just wasn't impressed with this particular truck.

BTW Who is still selling delete kits for these in the event that I do find 1 that fits my bill.

Sarge

Old 11-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nearly all retailers such as Rudy's Diesel, River City Diesel, ETC sell delete kits. No manufacturer makes a complete kit, so you'll have to get the delete pipes and purchase a tuner. Just Google DPF Delete for 6.4L and there will be a lot of suppliers pop up. I purchased my Gearbox Z and delete pipes from Xtreme Diesel Performance. Gearbox Z also sells direct and sells delete pipes. I used the pipes with bungs as I wanted a more professional look rather than tie-wrap the sensors to the frame. They weren't much more $. And I ordered new EGT sensors from Ford instead of trying to get the old ones out. I left the stock pipes w/sensors intact in case I have to go back to stock. Good luck on your hunt. You'll find what you want with patience.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:48 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Sarge261
Thanks for all the help guys. I went and looked at the 08 yesterday, and other than the low miles it didn't look very well maintained. It had a lot of wear on the inside and dings dents and scratches all over it.

It also felt like it was missing under load so although the price was right I passed on it.

The quest continues, I haven't ruled out the 6.4, just wasn't impressed with this particular truck.

BTW Who is still selling delete kits for these in the event that I do find 1 that fits my bill.

Sarge
Just keep looking. As time goes on, I think I would rather buy a 6.4 today over a 2011 6.7.
First year vehicles are always holding a few negative suprises.

I went through a phase where I wasn't sure if I would keep my 6.4 for long, but then I bought a spartan tuner, and now I wouldn't buy anything but another 6.4. They are a tougher engine than the 6.7, and they can be bought for less.

Do be careful though, the 6.4 with tunes can put down massive power. Be aware that it is possible to blow a head gasket, or melt things down, with some of the tunes you can buy, and ignoring gauges, etc. You just need to realise the bigger tunes it's like a 600 hp truck, so either drive it nice, or start upgrading parts, because 600 hp on a stock engine is not going to last forever.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:50 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Also as mentioned above, the 6.4 and 6.7 are both common rail diesels, which means basically a few specks of water or dirt in fuel can cause a massive expensive failure, but they sure sound nice and quiet lol. Girls love em, my wife love my 6.4 truck lol.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:23 PM
MouseMendez
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, Sarge. You got more quest threads here than a *****'s got rubbers. Just start dealing with the sales guys and if you don't like one use him against the others. Buy from the guy you like, but use them all against each other. If I can get the deal I made for mine you can get the deal you want. There's always another dealer up the road. Just be patient.

You know you want that new 6.7, don't you?
(I'm not a sales guy or a Ford employee either)
Heh

Old 11-12-2014, 05:57 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
I see he's got one thread in the 6.7 section, time will tell which side of the fence he falls on.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:48 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Ha Ha,

You aint kidding I want a 6.7, but I have made a decision, and I am going to keep my trusty 6.0 a while longer. I really want a 15 I like the updates and I would really like the exhaust brake and a single turbo, so I hope that my truck continues to treat me well, and I may bullet proof it this year and wait another 2 years and look for a nice used certified 15. As for a new truck its just not in the cards for me as much as I would love to go buy 1.

Thanks for putting up with all my threads and questions, time to put it to bed for a while.

Sarge

Old 11-13-2014, 02:39 PM
MouseMendez
Senior User
Sorry, I didn't mean any disrespect, Sarge.

My diesel SRW, XL model lists for 49k and change. I built it online with everything I wanted to pay for, nothing else.

The deal I made was: I give them 34k and my crappy 8-year old Chevy Colorado. A sweet deal in my book. BUT I had to use 4 dealers to get the deal I wanted with the guy I liked. You CAN find a deal on a new '15 model that fits your budget. Don't give up, buddy. There's one out there with your name on it. It's calling to you. Can you hear it? (smile)

You have already finished the hard part (wife). LOL

Old 11-13-2014, 03:13 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
I felt no disrespect...Its all good my friend. I was just trying to get everyones perspective on the newer diesels. All I ever had was 6.0's so I am a total novice when you get beyond a 2007.

Like I said Ive decided to hold off, I really would love a 15 so that's what Im going to hold out for, even if it takes a year or 3.

Sarge

Old 11-17-2014, 12:18 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by parkland
First year vehicles are always holding a few negative suprises.
For this reason alone i would steer clear of a 2011 6.7.

Originally Posted by Sarge261
Hey all,

So the wife and I have been talking about replacing my truck for a while now, I have 2 in my sights.

The first 1 is a 11 F350 Lariat Dually with 38k on the clock, its my first pick, however the price is a little high for me, but it has what I want already on it.

So my #2 pick is a 08 King Ranch Dually with 38k on it also. This truck was my buddy's truck and he just traded it in on a 15 that he ordered. So my question is what should I look for other than the radiator issue. I've spent all my time working on the 6.0 so I know my way around it pretty good. The price on the 08 I think is reasonable and the bonus for me is its a Ford Dealership. I may put a warranty on it, or I may just delete it and be done with it.

How does the 6.4 pull compared to the 6.0, and I know the fuel mileage will be less unless I delete it, but for those that are deleted what do you get towing, my 5er is right around 13k.

Are delete kits still out there for the 6.4, if I wind up with the 6.7 I obviously will just add a monitor and that will be it.

I guess if none of this pans out I will put some more money in my truck and just wind up keeping it forever I guess.

Thanks,

Sarge
Regardless what people say the 6.7 engine had flaws that where not worked out tell late 2012 early 2013. In addition you will find after the 2011 build the milage of the 6.7 starting dropping another item that was addressed in the 2015 model. Due your research and you will find this out on your own. Personally if i was to purchase a newer truck it would be a 2015 6.7 without a doubt. There are a lot of changes after 3 years of production. I think your smart to hang on to your truck a couple more years by then you could get a good used 2015 6.7.

With that being said if my budget didn't allow it i would either wait tell it did or purchase a good used 09-10 6.4. Again the first model year of the 6.4 07.5-08.5 had issues that for the most part where resolved by 09. The 6.4 is a great engine if maintained well. Milage in the stock platform is poor. Expect 9.5 to 11 in town and 11-14 HWY. Deleted you can expect about a 1.5-3 MPG increase. Oddly enough people that keep there vehicles well maintained seems to be a dying breed. Wither you get a 6.4 or a used 6.7 definitely get the ESP(extend service plan) one moderate engine repair and its paid for anything else is money in the bank. Just take your time and due your research, you look like you on the right path.

My current 08-350 is my favorite super duty so far, I have around 115,000 miles and don't plan on getting ride of it tell 300,000 miles. I would have no problem doing a 6.4 again now that i have figured out the little issues and know exactly what to look for.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:13 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I'm getting way over 14 hwy, I hand calculated 23 mpg but that was pure highway, at 100 km/h. It drops off rather quick the faster you go. I have my VGT turbo disabled running a tow tune.

I know a lie-o-meter is not reliable, but when I put a 3.5" lift on with 35" tires, it went from 11 l/100km to 13 l/100 km, not bad considering I didn't recalibrate the computer for the bigger tires. If I drive 120 km/h, it will go up to 18l/100 km.

As said many many times, driving habits can make or break fuel mileage.

Quick Reply: Truck Quest